American Idol to hold auditions sans judges while mulling fates of Abdul, DioGuardi

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 3rd 2009 1:27PM
Kara DioGuardi and Paula AbdulGet on your craziest costume and ask your mom again if you really, really can sing because it's time to start the process of making an ass of yourself on national television all over again. Only this time, the crazies who go to the first round of auditions won't get the chance to sing in front of the judges until a callback sometime later this summer. That's because while they want to get the audition process under way, American Idol doesn't know if they're bringing back Paula Abdul or Kara DioGuardi.

I wonder if this move will keep some of the crazies away. Now you're looking at two entirely separate trips just to look stupid on television. Will it still be worth it? Sure, the local crazies will still come out, but what about the travelers? It is interesting to note that Idol is changing the process up this much due to contract questions. That must mean that they're really not sure about one or both of the women's return to the show. DioGuardi was on a one-year deal, while Abdul's multi-year contract ended this season.

I'm not sure the four judge thing worked, and not just because they constantly went over on time. Kara just didn't really add anything new to the mix, unless she's the reason Paula was more coherent than usual. In fact, Paula provided much more constructive feedback throughout the season than Kara did. I don't think Kara was horrible, in fact maybe it would be better to lose Randy. He's just about completely run out of anything that isn't a "catch phrase" to say.

Which judge should get the boot?
Kara DioGuardi243 (45.5%)
Paula Abdul72 (13.5%)
Randy jackson127 (23.8%)
Simon Cowell13 (2.4%)
Kara & Paula64 (12.0%)
Other (use comments)15 (2.8%)

California

Paula was the best judge this season. She was not only cohert and - also important, concise - she was positively visionary when she declared Adam the winner the second or third show.

She was also a booster of Chris and Allison.

Not that I don't appreciate Randy or Simon - although Simon showed the worse judgment by far of any judge this season - but if anyone deserves to judge the next season, it's Paula.

July 20 2009 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jody rand

i have a friend who is the an extrodinary singer, however even though she tried out for american idol in two different cities, she didnt get past the parkinglot judges who were seeing 4000 people... simon, paula, randy simply would of moved her right on to hollywood, without a doubt. How can she perform for the main judges? jody rand

June 21 2009 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lo

Um, you always had to make two trips just to look stupid on television. American Idol has always held two rounds of auditions: preliminary auditions (in which singers audition in front of the show's producers) in June/July, and judge auditions in August/September.

June 04 2009 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lo's comment
rick cokely

I was going to say this. Actually I think there are many auditions you have to go to before you get to sing in front of the judges. The judges see maybe 100 - 200 contestants out of the thousands that show up. I don't think this is much of a conspiracy.

As for judges I wouldn't mind seeing Randy leave, he doesn't really have much to contribute other than the occasional "dawg" or "for me for you" catchphrase. I think Kara had some smart things to say but she just rubs me the wrong way for some reason, she's like a middle ground between Paula being ultra-sweet and Simon being ultra-mean but that just makes her mediocre. Drop her too and have a weekly guest judge along with Paula and Simon.

June 04 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Kara ruined Season Eight -- with her comments, her attitude and most of all, that terrible "No Boundaries" song. I say good riddance.

June 03 2009 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Interesting. I had no idea dropping Paula was under consideration. As much as I enjoy making fun of her, I think I'd miss her if she left.

June 03 2009 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply