April 23, 2014

Fox proves its (lack of) faith in Ron Moore

by Brad Trechak, posted Jun 4th 2009 3:32PM
Ronald MooreOriginally, it was slated for July 4th, but now Fox has moved the pilot for Ron Moore's new virtual reality series Virtuality into its Friday Night Death Slot on June 26th. I guess it wasn't even worthy of a holiday showing.

You'd think, given how the relaunch of Battlestar Galactica renewed interest in mature, complex science fiction that Fox would have more faith in the series. They were probably looking for something akin to 24 and all they got was a bunch of crew members playing video games on a long space mission.

On the other hand, the show could legitimately suck. I would tend to doubt it as I've always liked Moore's work on the Star Trek franchise and certainly BSG. Caprica wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but it's only the pilot.

In order for Virtuality to have any chance of survival than all it has to do is get good ratings on a Fox Friday night during the summer. Yeah, good luck with that.

RobynM

And it won't matter how many people DVR it or watch it online or torrent it or anything else, due to the Networks' stubborn insistence that only live eyeballs count.

So yeah, it's a better choice than a national holiday, but still not confidence inspiring.

June 05 2009 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Too late

I agree with Don:

Friday Night Death Slot is actually an upgrade from Saturday Night Graveyard Shift with Fireworks.

June 04 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Too late's comment
David

...but Fox is still burning the episode off since they already paid for it. This show is dead and gone before it premieres.

June 04 2009 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I've been following news about Virtuality for a while now, and basically the show is dead. It's not going to be a series. It's lucky the pilot/movie is being aired at all.

And the Friday slot is probably a little better than the holiday slot, in terms of possible viewers.

June 04 2009 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I don't know why people like Ron Moore & Joss Whedon wastes their own time & energy on free network TV.
All the networks care about is Reality TV & what their advertisers, standards & Practices department want. they should concentrate on HBO or Showtime, TNT FX???? Maybe Video on demand????

June 04 2009 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Clarendon

I take this as a good sign. I never thought the Fourth of July was a big TV night, what with fireworks and festivities and all -- so I figure a non-holiday Friday night might mean a small gain in ratings (if ratings even matter, at this point).

June 04 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply