August 31, 2014

Maybe Jon and Kate should be parents first, TV stars second?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 4th 2009 2:40PM
So I'm watching Today this morning, and J.D. Hyman from People said that Jon Gosselin told him that he'll end the show the minute that the kids don't want to do it anymore. And I thought to myself, that's exactly wrong. Shouldn't Jon (and Kate) be making the decision? These kids aren't 18, they're all under ten (some as young as five)!

What do you think? Let us know in the poll after the jump.

Who should make the decision to stop the show?
Jon and Kate337 (59.5%)
The kids20 (3.5%)
The family should sit down and discuss it together155 (27.4%)
Dr. Phil, of course54 (9.5%)

Lynn

I think people need to mind their own freakin bussiness! Here is what I say if it bugs you, don't watch it. If it annoys you, Your jealous. What person would not want the money and prosperity. IF...........Jon & Kate do not make it(I PRAY THEY DO!) its only because the stress of the media and everyone else including family, can't mind their own stinkin bussiness! You say....they ask for it......just remember what goes around......comes back around, don't beleive me .....try it.....you'll see. Me.....I think their great, and the day they become perfect, they'll be in heaven with the lord, now take that and savour on it, LEAVE-EM-Alone.....I say!

June 15 2009 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PK

I don't hear anything about marriage counseling! These two can't do it by themselves. GET HELP, or the marriage WON'T survive!

June 15 2009 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

Adam, the oldest two are twins, and the remaining six are sextuplets, not really a choice but to have them close together.

That being said, what is wrong with having kids close together?

June 04 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Xina's comment
GL

Fertility treatments disagree with you.

June 04 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

I am a little confused...they might have used fertility treatments, and yes they could have selected aborted some of the sextuplets, but since they didn't..they had NO choice but to have the kids close together, as gestation is pretty much the same for all babies. Which was my point to begin with.

And one more time what is wrong with having kids close together?

June 05 2009 at 6:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina143

Adam, the oldest two are twins, and the others are sextuplets, they didn't really have a choice BUT to have them close together.

That being said, what is wrong with having kids close together?

June 04 2009 at 6:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

Jon and Kate might be doing their kids a disservice by keeping the cameras rolling, but they've already done the biggest disservice for them by having EIGHT so close together. Now its up to Jon and Kate to clothe, feed, and educate their kids (though college age, if possible.)

If the cost of securing a financial future and the physical well-being for their kids is to have a film crew around for a few years, I'd say they're making a respectable decision.

Further, I doubt this show is REALLY going to last more than three or four seasons. Any longer would seem unnaturally long for a reality show to follow around one family. Especially if you consider the longest running family-reality series--The Osbournes--ended after four seasons (and that family lived it's life on camera all the time ANYWAY.)

I promise you, those cameras will be out of there once the oldest kids reach age 12. No one is going to want to watch someone else's kids go through puberty.

June 04 2009 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to am_hollitz's comment
Ruth Cole

Mr. Berkowitz is quite uninformed : the children are not spaced close together. They are a set of twins and a set of sextuplets. Jon and Kate have done a marvelous job with the children, and it shows in their happy faces and the obvious love displayed all around. The parents were married quite young (esp. Jon) and then to add such huge responsibilities to the mix seems inevitable that there might have been problems. I hope that this couple will recall just how compatible they have been over the years and how sweet they have made these children through their diligence and hard work. This couple has made it through some hard times and now they could be enjoying the fruits of their labors but the jealous viewers seem hell-bent to see the series end and the marriage as well. I really like this program: the "stars"; their childrearing skills; and the easy, funny way they talk to each other. Jon hopefully will remember the good times and will see that to throw this marriage away because of petty things would be a travesty for all concerned. Kate is a beautiful,curvaceous and loving woman; Jon is a handsome, funny and loving man and together they make the reality show a pleasure for us to see. I thank them and TLC for allowing us to watch and I hope they will continue.

June 13 2009 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

What you said in the headline.
I want to say that people should stop watching, hence making the decision for them, but people like reality TV like this. I know people who love this show. That such shows exist is sad.

June 04 2009 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stewartwallace

Maybe when he said "the kids" he was referring to himself and Kate.

June 04 2009 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to stewartwallace's comment
JoAnn

Amen, I think it's high time these two immature beings grow up and think about raising their children properly and not in the limelight. There are many other couples who have 5 or more children and you don't hear a word about them. Let's cut the crap and maybe they'll learn to be "parents".

June 15 2009 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

I am in no way defending these people - but what he said was that he will end the show when the kids give an indication that is it not the best thing/a good idea.

The reason everyone is so worried about the kids now is because there is all this bad press and scandal - the show was getting high ratings and no one was questioning their parenting skills/motives when they were fans. (I'm not saying u specifically, Bob).

June 04 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Mel's comment
Dan

Many people, like myself, have always questioned the parenting of ANY family willing to subject their CHILDREN to the scrutiny and humiliation of television.

If you have children under the age of 10 and you put their lives on TV for some reality show, YOU ARE A BAD PARENT.

But then again, just from watching the show you can tell that they aren't the best parents anyways. I hate the program, it's just another one of those shows that helps to dumb down this country.

June 04 2009 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Who are the parents in this group? It's not those 8 kids. Jon and Kate need to put their family first not the paycheck (the considerable paycheck, I'm sure). The longer they keep doing this, the less sympathy I have. If you decide to live your life on a television screen then you have to take the bad with the good. If you're going to flirt around town with another woman expect to get caught. If you're going to act like a shrew, then expect people to criticize you.

June 04 2009 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply