July 26, 2014

Josh Gad: In the Limelight

by Annie Wu, posted Jun 5th 2009 2:33PM
Josh GadTime to meet the newest member of the Daily Show team, Mr. Josh Gad. That picture to the right is him, furiously staring into your soul and preparing to pump you full of lead/laughter. He debuted back in early May and filed his first report just this week. Both of his appearances involved guns, so I guess if TDS's team were a traditional mid-90s boy band, he'd be the trigger-happy one of the group.

Those of you who watched the short-lived Back To You may recognize Gad as Ryan Church, the news director. A few episodes are on Hulu, American readers, with the first episode embedded after the jump for your Internet-laziness/convenience.

From the looks of his IMDb and Wikipedia entry, it seems like Gad comes from a TV and movie background and not specifically improv, sketch comedy or stand-up. It's a fascinating casting choice by TDS, and it will be interesting to see how Gad's background influences the way he interacts with subjects during field reports.

His delivery is also well-timed and fairly smooth, which is great because there are few things more painful than watching someone struggle with cue cards or a TelePrompter. As for tone, Gad's definitely not going for the dead-pan; in fact, when he gets a little over-excited, he almost stumbles into Lewis Black territory. A little bit. Yeah? No? Just me? Alright.

New correspondents are always fun to watch, if only to see where they take their correspondent-characters. Check out Gad's first two appearances on TDS:

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart M - Th 11p / 10c
Bank Stress Tests
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Economic Crisis

[Videos also available here and here]

rico G

I know this guy in real life and on tv and hes pretty damn funny. A cool guy to kick it with.

July 07 2009 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KamenRiderTakoyaki

It's like he's some kind of fusion of Jack Black and Chris Farley... Unless...

June 06 2009 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

oh goody, yet another loud and obnoxious fat guy in comedy. um, no thanks, i didn't find either of his appearances on the daily show remotely funny either.

June 06 2009 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Meanwhile:

Colbert in Iraq next week!

June 05 2009 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corkdraw

Yeah, not a fan. He reminds me too much of Jonah Hill, who I also can't stand.

June 05 2009 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

The second appearance was finally funny so I understand why you waited with this a little longer. I was so standing on my couch when he first popped up on TDS. I thought he was the funniest actor on Back To You.

Still though, best line of the last couple of months by Wyatt: "I guess we have to blame the imaginary school system". *snicker*

June 05 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
am_hollitz

I didn't care for the first piece when I saw it air originally. I thought the second piece was much better. I want to like Josh, but I feel his acting (especially on "Back to You") is more caricature than character. I don't think that's the right addition for The Daily Show.

June 05 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bza

Terrible. Not funny at all.

June 05 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marko

He was not funny on The Daily Show. I got angry, thats how unfunny he was.

June 05 2009 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to marko's comment
YouFaceTheTick

So not funny he is actually killing people in the future with his lack of talent or wit.

June 05 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply