August 21, 2014

David Carradine on FOX's Mental this week

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 8th 2009 2:27PM
I'm wondering if David Carradine's guest role on this tomorrow's Mental will be met with controversy. Is it exploitative to air this episode so soon after his death? A tribute? Should they shelve it forever? Here's a sneak peek of the episode.

Sara

I am so glad they aired it!! I have been crying almost non-stop since I heard the news of my beloved David Carradine's death, I say my beloved cause when Kung Fu, The Legend Continues was on my parents and I were not speaking so I had to find my Mother and Father Figures elsewhere, and David was one of them. We have since repaired our relationship. It was so good and sweet to see him one more time, and the tribute was dead on. I will miss you David, more than you will ever know.

June 10 2009 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Doran

I could write a whole book about all the posthumous appearances in film and TV over the years - and McFarland would probably publish it (if they don't have something like it in the pipe already).

June 08 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I would hold the episode.

In fact, I would can the whole series. I DVR'd the first episode and couldn't watch it all the way through. The show was much better when it was called House. And Lie To Me, for that matter.

June 08 2009 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I don't see a problem with airing it. If they shelved movies and television shows because an actor died before it was released, we wouldn't have several good movies, most famously The Dark Knight.

June 08 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
philly_phenom

I don't watch this show, but I don't see what's wrong w/ airing shows posthumously - especially w/ an "in memory of" tag at the end just before the closing credits.

Now if they aired promos shouting "David Carridine's last work before he died" that's over the top & exploitive.

Definitely shelving it forever helps no-one. If Mental ever goes into syndication, his estate would be out whatever royalties he'd have received for this episode.

June 08 2009 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philly_phenom's comment
Brenda

I'm only saying that my heart goes out to his family....it's such a TRAGEDY!!!!! I watch the Mentalist and for sure I will watch this episode!!!!! REST IN PEACE, David, you WILL be missed by SOOOOOO MANY people!!!!!

June 08 2009 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply