September 3, 2014

TBS might save My Name is Earl

by Mike Moody, posted Jun 9th 2009 10:17AM
nbc tbs my name is earlUsually, TBS and I don't agree on what's funny. Sure, we both like Seinfeld, but who doesn't like Seinfeld? Normally, I stay away from the network's aggressive slate of not-so-groundbreaking sitcom pap like The Bill Engvall Show and Tyler Perry's House of Pain. But now I'm happy to hear that – instead of developing another show around another unfunny family-friendly comedian – TBS is in talks to pick up My Name is Earl for 13 new episodes.

NBC unceremoniously canceled Earl a few weeks ago when it announced its new fall season during its Upfront presentation. TBS already has Earl repeats lined up for the fall, as part of a deal with the show's producer, 20th Century Fox, but it's still unclear if the network will be able to produce new episodes of the show on a basic cable budget.

Earl ran for four years on NBC, picking up five Emmys and a decent following along the way. It makes sense that a cable network like TBS would move to pick it up, but I'm not sure if this is the best idea. A move to TBS would mean a smaller budget and possibly some changes in the cast to make up for the missing funds. There's also a possible format change to consider. Single-camera series like Earl are more expensive to produce than traditional sitcoms. It's possible that Earl might morph into a traditional multi-camera laugher, something I would hate to see.

And then there's the big question: Does Earl deserve another chance? Honestly, I didn't mind seeing it get canceled after watching the unremarkable fourth season. The show started out as a fresh and funny comedy about a guy trying to change his life. Towards the end, it seemed to devolve into a mean-spirited, gross-out gagfest about Earl's loser friends and neighbors.

I'd love to see Earl return to TV, but only if the show remains a single-camera comedy and brings the focus back to Earl's list and his quest to improve himself and the lives of the people he's wronged. Some funny jokes wouldn't hurt either.

purpleslog

I'd rather see something like new 13 episodes of Greg the Bunny.

June 09 2009 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

NBC cancelled Earl but kept Parks and Rec? As Amy herself would say...REALLY?!

I'd prefer ABC or Fox to take over MNIE - but I'll take what I can get.

June 09 2009 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

First two seasons of Earl were great and believable. Camden was messed up, but the people were real. Then Earl went to prison and his brother became a guard and Craig T. Nelson was the warden. The show never recovered from that. All it needed to focus on was the list, no more - no less. Darnell as a special agent was insulting. They could have done so much better. RIP Earl.

June 09 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

They could do a short season like its other shows. There's only so much crap on Earl's list that you can do.

June 09 2009 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary beth

I sincerely hope that TBS picks up new episodes of Earl.
I was surprised and devestated when I found out the show was cancelled.
Shame on NBC!

June 09 2009 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marie

There are only a few episodes of Seinfeld I really like, the series finale could've been MUCH better! Anyway, I'd like to see 'Earl' get rescued regardless of the network. I hope TBS can work something out. While they're at it, 'Samantha Who?' should also be rescued. 'Earl', 'Samantha' and 'My Boys,' in no certain order, would be a smart block of comedy.

June 09 2009 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher Swenson

I enjoyed Earl all the way through, sure there were some bumps along the way but over all a great show. I'd love to see TBS give it 13 episodes and allow the show to finish wrapping up. The 4th season went a long way to wrapping things up, but we were left hanging at the end of the last episode.

June 09 2009 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply