September 21, 2014

The joke that everyone missed from SNL's Celebrity Jeopardy revival

by Danny Gallagher, posted Jun 9th 2009 3:03PM
Will Ferrell and Norm MacDonald as Alex Trebek and Burt Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy!Last month's triumphant return of the "Celebrity Jeopardy!" sketch to Saturday Night Live was a hilarious bit of celebrity snark genius. It is without a doubt the only sketch in the show's history that just gets better and better every time a new one is rolled out for the public to digest and enjoy.

The most recent incarnation of the sketch was no exception. In fact, it built on the solid foundation that lay before it by casting Tom Hanks as a clueless himself and bringing back Norm MacDonald as Burt Reynolds. MacDonald's appearance was funny not just because he does a scary good Reynolds, but I also like to think that every time he returns to the show, Don Ohlmeyer cries a little inside.

As much as there was to laugh at in the sketch, a tiny but hilarious joke seeped through the cracks and no one seemed to spot it -- until now. I have found the missing joke from last month's Jeopardy! sketch, thanks to my keen eyes, my intrepid nose and my ever-widening butt.

The joke popped up at the back end of the sketch, just after the Final Jeopardy! theme song utters its final "bum-bum" and Trebek drudges himself over to the podiums to read the contestants' mentally-damaged answers. The shot goes wide as Trebek walks over and the lost joke passes by within a mere blink of an eye. See if you can spot it in the shot below.

A scene from the most recent Celebrity Jeopardy sketch

For those of you who weren't able to spot the missing bit, let's zoom in on Reynolds' podium and read the name on the screen.

The return of Turd Ferguson!

The mighty Turd Ferguson has returned! Whoever thought to put that name on the podium deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor or maybe a beer or free basket of extreme jalapeno poppers from T.G.I. Fridays.

It's not only a great throwback to a joke, but hiding it the way they did in the show makes it twice as funny to the people who are lucky enough to spot it. That means I have ruined one of the greatest jokes in television history. I certainly don't deserve a free basket of extreme jalapeno poppers.

StillBash

People come on. This post is simply awesome because it was cryogenically frozen four weeks ago and is now on display here at TVS. It's a marvel it just smells a tiny bit rotten ;-)

June 11 2009 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Umm, yeah, I agree with everyone else. How did you miss this?

June 11 2009 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

I saw that the moment it was on. Damn, I was even looking at it considering the huge deal he made out of it the first go around.

June 10 2009 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan C

i'm going to have to get on the hate train for this one.

mr. gallagher.

what were you thinking.

this post was awesome.

a month ago.

June 10 2009 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Slow posting day and needed to fulfill a quota?

June 10 2009 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Siegler

I think the news story here should be you guys not reporting on that when it first aired.

June 10 2009 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

That was a really pointless post. It was hard to miss.

June 09 2009 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

agree with the other commenters. I think that you just might have been the one who missed it. I think most people caught it actually from what it seems like.

June 09 2009 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ansky

I think the "sibilant" joke Hanks made in reference to the old Wayne's World/Aerosmith sketch was much better and less noticeable than Turd Ferguson.

June 09 2009 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissthomas

I caught that too and laughed really hard because that was the big joke back in college. We even named a rec team we had Turd Furgeson. No one else in the room laughed because they didn't see it and I was scorned for being a TV nerd.

June 09 2009 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply