November 24, 2014

Did Letterman go too far?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 10th 2009 11:29AM
David Letterman made a joke the other night about Sarah Palin's daughter going to a Yankees game and being impregnated by Alex Rodriguez (video below). Now, humor of the joke aside, can you imagine if a conservative host had made a joke about one of President Obama's daughters? What do you think the media's reaction would be? I think the joke is more about Rodriguez and his alleged antics with other women, but it also incorporates Palin's daughter in a rather unfortunate way.

[via Jim Treacher]

John Murphy

What Letterman said cannot be excused as a "joke". It was a personal attack on the Palin family for which he should be reprimanded.

June 12 2009 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Jackson

Face it, Letterman is a big joke that should be off the air!

June 12 2009 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jere

Letterman is the Joke. No comment such as the one he made was acceptable about anyone's daughter. I hope people will finally see him for what he is a washed up liberal puppet with a nasty mouth and would serve everyone to have his show turned off and out of our homes. It does not matter that he has tried to smooth it over by saying it was the older daughter. Why would his talking about the older daughter be ok. SImply because she had a child out of wedlock. Since when did liberals have a problem with unwed mothers. Oh guess it is because it is a conservatives daughter. Anyone out there no matter what age who has not had a relationship that could have resulted in pregancy should stand up and the rest of those shut up as you are no different than the rest of the population. Leave these sick comment out of everything as decent people do not accept this as being ok from anyone.

June 12 2009 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Treacher

"Are you people too young to remember this?"

Even if it were relevant to the topic at hand, there'd always be this:

But yeah, calling a little girl ugly is pretty much the same thing as making a joke about her being raped, right?

June 11 2009 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I have never had a very high opinion of Letterman and in my opinion he is a poor excuse of a comic. The comics who are the best ever, are the ones who never use indecent innuendos regarding women and children, as the subject for making jokes. I think he is pathetic. I don't watch CBS anymore, because in my estimation any station who hires people like Letterman have have no class.

June 11 2009 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

It doesn't matter what age the daughter is, it was a horrible thing to say. I'm sure Letterman would never make such sick comments about Obamah's daughters, Clinton's daughter, or any of the Kennedy young girls. What if someone made such comments about his child or wife? He is a very disrespectful person and should be taken off the air. Imus was taken off for disrespectful remarks. What's the difference? Letterman's comments were cruel. Anyone who thinks cruelty jokes are funny are as sick as he is.

June 11 2009 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pepper

I will never watch letterman again..I didn't like him before but now it is all over as for as I am concerned. He can not have any one on his show that could make me watch. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HIM OFF THE AIR....

June 11 2009 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sherry

Not a Palin fan. Can't stand it when they pick on anyone's kids. I hated it when they called Chelsea Clinton ugly and she was in her early awkward teens/ Leave Palin's kids alone. What a jerk
I notice they are leaving the Obama kids alone, which they should. Just wait Letterman can't contain himself he will have something to say about them as well

June 11 2009 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Because apparently Chelsea Clinton is the daughter of a republican...

June 11 2009 at 7:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

Letterman is skewering the Palin response to his joke right now.

June 10 2009 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply