April 23, 2014

Did they do thaaaaat? Obsessed fans try to find Urkel's house (UPDATED)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 10th 2009 6:29PM
Even though I've written about TV for many years, I've never gone on a hunt to find the location for a particular TV show. Not that I wouldn't, I just haven't yet. These Family Matters fans in the clip below went to Chicago to try to find Steve Urkel's house. Though it's not exactly his house, it's the Winslow house (Urkel was the neighbor).

Is the Winslow place "one of the most recognizable sitcom facades" as the narrator says?

Update (6/11):
After the jump, a clarification on this post.

[via BuzzFeed]

It looks like my post has generated an incredible number of comments, a lot more than I thought would ever happen on a light, fun post about a group of people trying to find the Family Matters house.

I probably shouldn't have said "obsessed" in the headline, but I didn't mean anything negative or nasty about it. I consider myself obsessed with television, and even said in the post that I would hunt for a TV location too at some point. Sorry that it came across as negative and/or dismissive. It wasn't intended that way. They're not obsessed with Family Matters, though I do have to point out that the narrator says in the video that Family Matters "was one of my favorite shows" and "recently I went to Chicago and there's one thing I had to see"). But they seem like great guys and I didn't mean anything bad.

As for the crediting and sourcing, this is how blogs work. I found that video at Buzzfeed.com and I credited them as the source and provided a link to their article. Let me repeat that: I credited Buzzfeed and linked to the article. I didn't research the people who actually made the video because their names and organization are actually in the video itself (the first words in the video are "Cinemassacre.com Presents"). All of the information is in the video, and if readers want to find out more they can just watch the video and go to Buzzfeed and find out about Angry Video Game Nerd and Cinemassacre.

Anyway, hope this clears things up.

Zero

First, It didn't read as a light or fun post. It was basically just giving misinformation and disrespect for their video.

Second, Obsessed has a negative connotation in this country and language. I understand what you meant but it's all about the connotation and the perceived emotion behind the words.

The source you got this video from sourced the origional websites from the creators. If I take a clip from 'The Office' from a blog website that was originally found on Hulu, then I would have to credit Hulu and not the blog. It's just a basic thing to credit the creators and publishers of a video when you use their material. If you misrepresent the source material or fail to mention them at all it is considered a form of plagiarism. Just because that's how your blogs work doesn't mean its the right way.

At least you've cleared it up in some way. I'll leave this here, I want to keep this short.

June 12 2009 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel Keller

Folks, I just deleted a comment by Mr. Sinister that personally insulted Bob. It's fine to criticize him, but personal insults and name calling won't be tolerated here. Mr. Sinister, if you want to re-post that comment minus the insults, then go ahead.

June 11 2009 at 6:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lancell

Well with your new comment you post much more sense, I only tough it was wrong to have such a small amount of text, called them both obsessed and ''omg they only went there to find urkel house'' and then you are cursed to get some negative response. That was the main problem, having a blog with less text that I usually have in my standard reviews or responses, and called them for something they are not. Also the problem was also the idiot at Buzzfeed Lindsey Weber who called them fanatic fans and thought they went to Chicago to JUST visit Urkel house.
I just hate people who draw false information about other people thats all

June 11 2009 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Syvergy

Oh come on guys, its just another AOL blog.

Is anyone really surprised?

June 11 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jezebel

I don't really understand why the blogger thinks they were in Chicago just for the Urkel house. James says in the beginning that he was in Chicago and just really wanted to see the Urkel house. Most people would assume that he was visiting Chicago and decided to go to the house as a sidetrip. If it was his only reason to go he would've said it up front.

June 11 2009 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trotu

Dude, I havent even done any kind of journalism university, but still, even I know that you should at least watch the video before posting it.
I mean, just look at your incredible report on this video.
And then look at the one at http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyweber/a-trip-to-the-family-matters-house-ru.
it doesn't seem to me that you've written anything else apart from what is written in that site.
Hell, actually, your report is even smaller, which means that you couldn't even copy properly the article.
BTW, I don't care if anyone here will even read my comment, and I don't care if you do, since just like almost everyone here, I will post this and them just forget that I ever entered in this site

June 11 2009 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Wow, this is turning into quite the little scandal. I gotta say, it's kind of sad.

June 11 2009 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wuggy

Hello from Spoony Experiment

This what Spoony One put on his site bout this:
"It looks like I've been featured on TV Squad with an article entitled "Obsessed fans try to find Urkel's house." I have to object to how silly and nerdy the whole thing makes us look. As if we were sad and dorky enough to make a pilgrimage all the way to Chicago just to seek out the Urkel House. We were there to film an imaginary battle between Super Mecha Death Christ and Donkey Kong Jesus on a Puff of Smoke. The Urkel House was purely incidental!"

So, he doesn't really seem mad or anything. I guess he doesn't expect that everyone knows him. But I will say what everyone else has been saying: find out the details before doing anything like this ever again. This is purely and advice for your own good.

Good luck with the incoming flood from tgwtg.com etc :)

PS. Can't you edit these things? You know, better late than never ;)

June 11 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phoenix

You don't have to know any of the dudes at That Guy With the Glasses, but avoiding doing a quick google search so that it's easier to make a snarky title, then point and laugh is...pointless.

Try something radical like...coming up with an original thought. Not just using control + V + snark.

June 11 2009 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexander

Considering this says "A Cinemassacre Production," I find it hard to believe that you didn't even check the source that supposedly produced the show by doing a basic google search for Cinemassacre. Seriously.

June 11 2009 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply