EW declares the all-time best and worst of reality television

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 11th 2009 3:00PM
Jeff ProbstConsidering how prevalent reality television is these days, it's got to be a pretty daunting task to try and put together a comprehensive list of the best and worst of all time. But Entertainment Weekly thinks they've done just that. They've compiled the top 20 reality shows of all time, but also the ten worst reality shows of all time. All in all, they did a pretty damned good job.

I completely agree with the top six, but they lose me with Jackass at number seven. I have never understood the appeal of filming morons doing stupid things on purpose just to be stupid. But there were some shows missing from the list completely, like Little People Big World, So You Think You Can Dance and Beauty and the Geek. Surely those shows are better than The Hills and The Real Housewives of Sesame Street, or whatever franchise they're spinning now.

The worst list nailed it, as well, though I'll admit I actually watched The Swan. And they missed Joe Millionaire from that list, too. And they put Cheaters on there, which is more akin to Cops and that genre, and if we're going to go there, then Cops should definitely be toward the top of this list. Here's the quick rundown of the top 20 and the bottom ten. Let me know in the comments which shows you disagreed with, and which shows they forgot completely.

Top 20
  19. Jon & Kate Plus 8
  20. Flavor of Love
Bottom 10
  1. The Swan
  2. Britney and Kevin: Chaotic
  3. Are You Hot?
  4. Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?
  5. The Anna Nicole Show
  6. American Idol/Dancing With the Stars (results shows)
  7. Cheaters
  8. Kill Reality
  9. Boy Meets Boy
  10. Skating With Celebrities

Nelly

I liked the Swan..it's not any worse than, "i'm a celebrity, get me out of here".

June 16 2009 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nelly

I liked the Swan..it's not any worse than this"i'm a celebrity(psuedo celebrity) get me out of here!

June 16 2009 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I would also add "What Not to Wear" to the Top 20.

June 14 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

I would add "Top Design" to the "Best" list and add "I love New York" and "Paradise Hotel" to the worst.

June 14 2009 at 4:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I'm OK with Survivor being No. 1, but I think The Real World should be right behind it. Even though it has degenerated over time, the first few seasons were ground-breaking.

As for the worst, I admit: I liked Are You Hot?

June 12 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan

MISSING
the Mole
and
murder in small town X

both would be in the top with me

June 12 2009 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pierre-Luc Allie

I don't watch it anymore but The Ultimate Fighter launch a diying sport into mainstream and transform a higly in debt compagny (45 millions $) into a billion dollar business.

A part from Survivor not a single show on the list at a biggest impact on our culture than The Ultimate Fighter.

June 11 2009 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pierre-Luc Allie

June 11 2009 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nate

completely agree about the joe schmoe show. best reality show ever.

June 11 2009 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

The BEST list is also missing "Amish in the City"

June 11 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply