July 23, 2014

Update: Letterman responds

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 11th 2009 9:31AM
Yesterday we had a..."discussion" about a joke that David Letterman made earlier this week about Sarah Palin's daughter and New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez. Last night, Letterman addressed the controversy that arose from the joke, and the video is below. As I suspected, he was not talking about the youngest Palin daughter, and he explains the joke and apologizes for it.

Bob

I think Sarah Palin owes an apology just for being.

June 12 2009 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

funny
no one remembers the lambasting Jimmy Carter's daughter used to get. As a teenager.
While she was a wild child to begin with , I'm sure everyone will say that's why, she was still under age and still a politician's daughter and according to you "not a public figure".
(not saying letterman was right. just stating a fact no one has recognised)

June 12 2009 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

Something I only saw briefly mentioned between the original post and this one - but doesn't Letterman have a staff of writers that come up with this stuff? I find it amusing the number of people who think Letterman is a slimeball are probably blaming him a bit more then he's probably responsible for. My understanding of a writer's room in relation to late night television is that the host doesn't have many of his own jokes for the lists (maybe more for monologues, but still written for them) since he's "earned his stripes" for having been in the writer's room once in his past. I guess I could be wrong about the way it works - but Dave has tried to take responsibility for it by apologizing (and if he really did care and didn't like the publicity then I'm sure the writer that came up with it would get fired). Comedy is also never going to please everyone at the same time, especially when a hint of politics is in the air. I think many of your blood pressures are through the roof if a late night show gets you this upset.

June 12 2009 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Hilarious. Haven't watched Letterman in probably 10 years. That was funny...

June 12 2009 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The joke was about A-Rod, people! Get a grip!

June 11 2009 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eirik

Just to be sure, it was wrong for Letterman to make a joke that (depending on interpretation) calls a 14 year old a whore or a prostitute, but it's all OK because he made the joke about an 18 year old unwed mother?

Just checking.

Now, I don't watch Letterman at all, but I'm sure the regular viewers can regale me with the jokes he made about Al Gores wayward son, Joe Bidens wayward daughter, the stacks of wayward Kennedy's...

June 11 2009 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdclark

Nobody who heard the joke at the time thought it was about anyone but Bristol, someone every comic on Earth (including Leno, repeatedly) has used as a target for pregnancy/abstinence jokes for the last several months. This was just another one of those jokes. There has been no controversy about them.

Only after someone noted that it was the younger daughter who went on the NYC trip did someone see an opportunity to create a controversy with a liberal as the target.

Of course it's political. Letterman is a well-known liberal, and Palin is the darling of Fox News. It was inevitable that some commentator would twist things until it looked like Letterman was making rape jokes about a minor child, something that only a hater would pretend to believe (and only an idiot would actually believe).

The degree of polarization in this country, and the hatred and hostility that arises from it, is the most clear evidence imaginable that evil exists. That a meaningless incident such as this can give rise so so much truly pathological and divisive commentary must make Satan really happy.

June 11 2009 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sy

The ONLY daughter that accompanied her mother to NY was Willow, the 14 yr old one. Letterman has no excuse for his sick joke. Letterman is a vindictive, mean NY liberal who has something against the Palin family from the start and it shows. He and the rest of you can't sugarcoat what he said.

June 11 2009 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sunshinedaisy

I saw the original comments made by David Letterman when they aired, and I laughed just as hard as anyone else. I didn't know which daughter atteneded the game, but I personally assumed it was Bristol. It is the logical assumption since she was already in the news because of her teen pregnancy. She put herself out there for comments and media ridicule when she began giving interviews during and after her mother's unsuccessful campaign. Nowhere in his comments did he mention rape. He simply said one of her daughters was knocked up by the player. I would have found the joke equally amusing if it had been in reference to one of Obama's daughters who happened to already be a unwed teenage mother. The majority of his comments were aimed at the players themselves, and their well known escapades and attitudes. His comments about Sarah Palin were no worse than any of the comments heard on other nighttime talk shows. I truly hope this "controversy" drives up his viewership numbers. His show is and always has been a wonderful diversion at the end of a hard day!

I really believe that Sarah Palin was trying to drum up attention for herself by stating she was offended at his suggestion of her daughter being raped in front of the crowd. She turned what he said around in an attempt to make it offensive and shocking so that she could get some media attention. Palin realized that she was becoming yesterday's news, and sought to change that image any way she could. I have noticed that she frequently makes use of her children to garner attention for herself. This was just a convenient target since Dave didn't specify which daughter. I don't think he needed to specify, why would he even think to make that sort of joke about a 14 year old girl that few people even remember exists? Most people only remember that Palin has 2 kids, the unwed mother, and her little boy with downs syndrome.

June 11 2009 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

All Sarah Palin is doing is insuring that Letterman and his show get more attention and beat Conan in the ratings. This "controversy" couldn't have come at a better time for them. I'm sure Letterman and CBS are loving this right now and thankful that Gov. Palin can't stand to stay out of the spotlight for very long.

June 11 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply