August 27, 2014

What's the best episode of all-time?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 12th 2009 3:32PM
Seinfeld
I don't mean of one particular show, I'm talking about the best episode of any TV series? Not an easy thing to do. Just think of how many shows and how many episodes we've had in 60+ years. The new issue of TV Guide is out, and while the full list of the 100 best episodes isn't online yet (here are #'s 100-81), we do know some episodes in the top ten (TV Guide did a similar issue back in 1997).

The number one ep? "The Contest" from Seinfeld. "Chuckles Bites The Dust" from The Mary Tyler Moore Show and "Opie The Birdman" from The Andy Griffith Show are up there too, as is the pilot episode of Lost and the "College" episode of The Sopranos. What's the first episode that comes to mind when you think of great TV?

Damir Secki

Can't believe noone mentioned Stargate SG-1's 4x06 - Window of Opportunity

where jack o'neal and tealc are reliving the same day over and over....funny as hell

June 18 2009 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Kleinman

Star Trek: The Next Generation, "The Inner Light" has to be one of the greatest episodes on TV of all time. An hour of perfect TV!

June 17 2009 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roland

My Top 3:

Six Feet Under 5x12 - Everyone's Waiting

Lost 3x22 - Through the Looking Glass

Twin Peaks 2x09 - Episode Sixteen

June 17 2009 at 8:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

Series finale of "Six Feet Under." Hands down the best hour and a half of TV. Ever.

June 16 2009 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s credeur

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

June 15 2009 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrimCat

damn it. "Bop Gun"

June 15 2009 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrimCat

Homicide, "Bob Gun" with Robin Williams.

June 15 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

I don't know about the best episode, but the last few minutes of the Six Feet Under finale were the best few minutes of any episode ever.

I can't believe anyone thinks the Lost pilot is anywhere near the best Lost episode. I'd go with Exodus or Through the Looking Glass, then maybe Walkabout, just because it's the episode that really got me hooked on the show rather than just watching it.

June 15 2009 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

A number of my choices have already been mentioned - Abissinia Henry, Chuck vs. The Colonel, Turkeys Away, A Streetcar Named Marge, Newhart Finale.

Others are:

Hey Arnold: Arnold's Christmas

Blackadder Goes Forth: Goodbyeee...

Torchwood: Fragments

New Who: Turn Left

It's late, so I'm sure I'm forgetting a number more.

June 14 2009 at 5:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply