September 30, 2014

Davies says Torchwood's season four is ready to go

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Jun 14th 2009 10:03AM
Torchwood returns with Children of Earth this summer.Torchwood creator and executive producer Russell T. Davies told the British press Friday that the fourth season of the sci-fi show is ready and waiting, depending on how the show's third mini-season ("Children of Earth") performs.

During a screening of the third series' premiere episode ("Day One"), Davies said he knows where he wants to go in Torchwood's next run. That's good news for fans, as there's every reason to expect that "Children of Earth" will do well both in the U.K. and in the U.S. -- where it out-rates the show that inspired it (Doctor Who) on BBC America.

Davies, the former executive producer of Who, also gave Torchwood fans reason to rejoice when he said he'd be willing to keep knocking the show out for 10 years if the viewers stay tuned. No word if show stars like John Barrowman and Eve Myles would be willing to stay on board into their middle age.

The third season of Torchwood consists of only five one-hour episodes, set to run on consecutive nights in the U.K.. BBC America will follow the same schedule, making the broadcasts an event mini-series and airing the segments just hours after their U.K. premiere.

"Children of Earth" will start airing in on BBC America July 20h. The DVD/Blu-Ray release arrives July 27th.

Kristy

As long as Captain Jack stays on Torchwood, I'll watch every episode until I know it by heart. :D

August 07 2009 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ella

This latest Torchwood:Children of Earth is very good. I couldn't wait for the part 2 after i watched part last monday; then, the parts 3, 4 and finally, part 5. This show is really good because it has all the elements a show should have. It's never boring. I can't wait for season 4. Pls. tell me there will be a season 4. I waited long for this season 3, thinking it will never come. I was always checking the BBC schedule, even the internet.

July 24 2009 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
diane

Just finished watching part five of five (Children of Earth), it was, awsome, heartbreaking, intense, and i want more Torchwood. I will be buying this as soon as it comes out,
and I hope that there will definatly be a season 4.

July 24 2009 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WildTansy

Even if JB stays several more years, RTD can introduce more stories from Jack's history. Although Ianto is gone, I think that there might be several new ways to have Jack find love. It would be great to see Jack and Capt. Hart have more interactions. I think that Torchwood will return with more shows linking with Dr. Who.
Torchwood and Dr. Who is very popular, and the BBC would be an idiot to drop either of these shows. I just hope that BBC makes a decision fast or it is going to be another year before we get new installments!!!

July 24 2009 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
azzieria

WARNING CONTAINS HINTS/SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO'VE NOT SEEN CofE

for those that watched children of earth you may remember a certain comment made by someone saying someone else cant know who he is because it would be too confusing the fact that he doesnt age.

a very good makeup artist will be required if JB stays for another 10 years.

sorry if this has been a little cryptic

July 12 2009 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Anderson

But we all know that Jack does (and can) die, if you've seen all four series of Doctor Who. I think it was the episode "The Last of the Timelords" where a vital clue to Jack's destiny was revealed. I won't say what it is in case I spoil it for those who haven't seen the episode.

July 12 2009 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I can't wait for the new episodes - I've already got the DVDs in my Amazon pre-order queue. John Barrowman's one of those people I'd watch read the phone book.

As for Torchwood outdoing Doctor Who on BBCA, up until just recently, it hasn't been a fair comparison due to Torchwood being first-run and Who being second-run. We'll see how the numbers shake out now that BBCA's finally wrested first-run rights away from Sci Fi.
Not that I don't love both of them, just making a point.

Belly - I'm betting that's a first-series poster, before Ianto became a full member of the team instead of just the errand boy.

June 15 2009 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thegoddesskiara

Capt Jack does age he just can't die.

June 15 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj

I will watch Torchwood as long as RTD has anything to do with it.

June 14 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belly

I'm excited for the new episodes, and also how it'll function after Tosh and Owen's departure. (the poster is confusing. Where's Ianto, and why's Tosh and Owen still in it? Giving me false hopes, that's what.)

As for more seasons, I'm all for it, though similar to Spike/Angel in Buffy, it'll also have to depend on how well Barrowman ages, since he too is playing a character that doesn't age.

June 14 2009 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Belly's comment
Jazza

I'm guessing that's an old poster for Torchwood, probably season 1

June 15 2009 at 6:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Fan

In fact that's one of the interesting things about his condition is the fact that he does age. Their is speculation as to what is going to happen to him after a few billion years when he is unable to die but still ages.

It's an ongoing story arc across both Doctor Who and Torchwood.

June 28 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply