April 24, 2014

New afternoon comedies from MTV

by Nick Zaino, posted Jun 15th 2009 10:03AM
DJ & THe FroMTV is aiming to nail that tough afternoon time slot today with three new comedy shows, premiering at 5 PM. The first series is the most easily identified format - DJ & The Fro, which kicks off at 5 PM. It's basically Beavis and Butthead with Web clips. Two guys named DJ and The Fro sit around at work watching viral videos instead of working.

This is roughly the ten thousandth show to try to take advantage of viral videos, including Comedy Central's Tosh.0, the new Web Soup, and some that are no longer with us (personally, I enjoyed Patrice Oneal's Web Junk on VH1 a couple of years back). The series is animated, thus the Bevis comparison. Whether DJ and The Fro are characters as giddily moronic and entertaining as Beavis and Butthead is hard to tell from what's been released so far, but if they aren't, this show will probably coast for a while and die quietly.

The other two shows - Is She Really Going Out With Him? and Silent Library - are a mix of formats. MTV describes Is She Really as "a scripted comedy overlaid on to a reality relationship format." The idea is that each show follows the relationship of one hot female and one self-important loser (based on a Web site called "Hot Chicks with Douchebags"). Then she decides whether to stay with him at the end. If it works, it could start shutting off the goldmine of bad relationships that has been feeding Cheaters.

The other, premiering at 6 PM, is Silent Library, which MTV describes as "pure physical comedy disguised as a game show." What it looks like is a mild form of Jackass made (it is, after all, based on a Japanese game show) made into a competition that is for some reason held in a library. If that doesn't sound interesting to you, what are you going to do, watch local news?

rosesarah88

fyi, time for 'Is She Really Going Out With Him?" changed to 5:00.

funny show, don't miss it!

June 22 2009 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I watched parts of DJ & The Fro and was mildly entertained with it other than the web clips which were generally a waste. It is B&B in an office, but that's better than a lot of stuff on TV.

Which brings me to....

Is She Really Going Out With Him? Just awful. Just what we need on TV. Another blow hard d-bag spending 2 hours to get his piss poor hair to spike up just right while some pathetic chick is upset (yet again) that he isn't nice to her. How can anyone this inane be real?

June 18 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

I wasn't sure I'd give DJ and The Fro a chance, but now I might check it out. It can't be any worse than Tosh.0.
Web Soup is pretty okay, but I also miss Web Junk with Patrice.

I'll give Silent Library a shot, since I'm a fan of the original, but based on current buzz, I'm not holding out much hope.

June 15 2009 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Ott

I wouldn't quite say ID & The Pro is the 10,000 show
to use Viral videos, unless you've counted every pilot
episode of immitators from around the world, but if
that show is a hit, MTV might as well be "Uuuuh, cool",
again, and bring back Beavis & Butthead and Daria.

June 15 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike McNamara

I love that everybody came down hard on you for your misspelling of Beavis before I had to do so.

My TiVo picked up DJ & The Fro... or it was on after the MTV Movie Awards... anyway, somehow, I saw an episode of it and while it's totally B&B with web clips as everybody and their mother will describe it, it was also pretty funny... far funnier than I've come to expect anything from MTV in the last decade or so.

June 15 2009 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

It's BEAVIS. Duh.

June 15 2009 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

It's spelled "Beavis," buttmunch.

June 15 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply