July 29, 2014

Nurse Jackie: Sweet-N-All

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 16th 2009 4:40AM
Nurse Jackie - Sweet-N-All(S01E02) Nurse Jackie is such an interesting show. Just about every scene has both drama and humor, though sometimes it leans more one way than the other. Like the opening scene with Jackie cutting her hubby's hair that ends up with them having sex on the kitchen floor:

Kevin: "What am I rolling around on down here?"
Jackie: "Fruity Pebbles."
Kevin: "Feels more like Cap'n Crunch."

You do have to wonder how Jackie is able to function so well doing all those drugs. I guess she's built up a tolerance level, but it sort of drove the point home when hospital administrator Gloria Akalitus accidentally swiped some of Jackie's Percocet-laced Sweet-N-All and ended up loopy.

On Jackie's friendship with Dr. Eleanor O'Hara -- they seem so mismatched, but maybe that's why it works. They're certainly two very different types of people. Jackie doesn't mind grabbing a hotdog on the street; Eleanor would rather dine in a fine restaurant. It's a sort of gritty Sex and the City-type friendship.

Some of the storylines seem ER-ish to me; then again, anything can happen in a hospital setting. Like the guy who slaps Jackie because it turns out his morbidly obese mom just lost her legs and now he has to take care of her. You'd think Jackie would be royally ticked about the whole thing, but she isn't. She understands that he's got a tough road ahead, so she makes the cops take off his cuffs, then orders someone to get social services there to help him. "We're gonna help you, Louis," she says.

And she's beautifully blunt about things. When Nurse Zoey says she doesn't know if she can handle the job, Jackie says, "This job is wading through a shit-storm of people who come into this place on the very worst day of their life ... buck up. If you need to cry, go do it in the lady's room."

In some ways, Nurse Jackie follows other hospital shows like ER and Grey's Anatomy (yes, Grey's Anatomy), in that each episode (so far anyway), includes a mix of personal stuff and patients. Tonight, the patients included a woman who burned her face off while smoking near her oxygen tank, a skateboarder who suffered a head injury because his mom wanted to get a nice helmet-free photo with his long hair, and a cab driver who keels over, prompting Jackie to give him her last dose of Percocet.

But this is Showtime, so the quality is kicked up several notches, and it's clear that Edie Falco is already knocking this role out of the park. You'd think there would be some soul-searching on Jackie's part, what with practically leading a double life with the hospital sex and drugs. We'll see where all that leads.

I like the fact that you can't really predict (so far anyway) what's going to happen. When Dr. Cooper "heard" the abdominal aneurysm on the skater-boy, I didn't really know if he was being the clueless doc we saw in the first episode, or if he knew what he was talking about. Turns out he knew what he was talking about, for which Jackie gave him kudos, resulting in an awkward hug on his part.

Nurse Jackie has already been picked up for a second season, so I guess Showtime has high hopes that it will go the distance. What did you think of this episode?

kk

The premise of the show is genius! I know a few nurses, this problem is not uncommon. They do all the work and the doctors get all the credit.
I love the show I truly hope it stays on, Edie Falco is an amazing actress who is as believable as Nurse Jacki, as she was as Carmela Soprano.
The addiction story line is soooooo good keep it going, but keep it honest as all of us addicts know everyone eventually bottoms out.

June 23 2009 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
National Nurses

Nurses are watching this series pretty closely. Is it fair? Accurate? Free of gross clinical errors? Entertaining?

America's RN union is collecting reviews and opinions by nurses about the show, which we'll share with the executive producers. If you're a nurse, drop by RNVoices.net to add your thoughts. You can also learn about the national nurses movement and our new legislation for national safe RN-to-patient ratios....

June 16 2009 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

I'm done with this show. I don't find it funny or worth my viewing. The show feels like I've seen this all before, whether on ER, Grey's or whatever medical show is on.
How Nurse jackie can function in an ER setting is crazy. And, we are supposed to believe she is so attractive that two men are infatuated with her? Come on.
Nope. I'm movin on.......

June 16 2009 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

I have to say I just don't get the attraction of this show at all, I was bored during the pilot and only watched the second episode to the end so I could check out Peter Facinelli. To me it comes across as just another hospital show where the main character just happens to be having an affair and has a drug addiction, so what nothing new under the sun.

June 16 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cookie

This is the worse show I have ever watched. Nurse Jackie is totally unethical. Cancel this show

June 16 2009 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Good show, wish it was an hour or even 40 minutes long though, the 30 minute format leaves me wanting more.

June 16 2009 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrLou

Thats "Ladies Room".
Plural possessive.

June 16 2009 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MrLou's comment
Michele

You read this recap about this pretty good show and that's what you come up with?

June 16 2009 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Working From Home Today

If we want to get all technical, isn't it "Ladies' Room"? And you forgot at least one apostrophe yourself. "That's".

Now, on to NJ: I enjoyed the episode. It didn't have the effect of the pilot, which blew me away, but it was good. I do wonder where they're going to take the whole drug addiction - is it going the way of House? Also, this is one of the few shows where the supporting cast seems, well, not weak, but not quite the caliber of the supporting cast of, say, True Blood (wherein I'd rather watch the supporting cast than the main talent). Be interesting to see if they can keep up to Nurse Jackie.

June 16 2009 at 9:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply