April 16, 2014

Primeval canceled

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 16th 2009 4:29PM
Primeval

Looks like even a successful show can be canceled after a few years. ITV's Primeval (shown on BBC America on Saturday nights and on The Sci-Fi Channel) has been canceled after three seasons. The show was actually successful and well-liked and there's going to be a big-screen version too (and probably a U.S. version), but it was too expensive to produce.

Are you going to miss this show, or was three seasons enough?

William Winter

I think it need at least one more season as it finished on a cliff hanger.

August 23 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra Bruckner

I started watching Primeval on Syfy and then on BBC America. I loved it -- until they started killing off the principal actors. The replacements were different in their roles -- and perhaps that was the idea. I liked Nick Cutter and the inner turmoil he faced in chasing down his wife through the anomoly.
Check out my site at http://www.isnnews.net and my blog at http://www.isnnews.blogspot.com.

August 04 2009 at 6:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
saswitz

It's not fair!!! I really got involved in this series! So many series I've liked I'm willing to let go because they went the wrong direction, but Primeval was doing well!!! There's so many ways they could give it a proper ending, but instead they're just canceling it? And it was the only Brit show I've ever liked! They should at least make one movie to resolve it. Isn't that the tv rule? They have to resolve it, get everyone home and fix the future and stop the anomalies. Then I'll let it go, sadly though. If they don't fix everything though, I'll be mad for a while.

August 01 2009 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xinunus

THE BBC CAN GO TO HELL.

LEAVING THEM STUCK IN THE PAST ARE YOU FRICKING KIDDING ME?

I GUESS THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU HAVE A GOVERNMENT RUN CHANNEL.

POOR MANAGEMENT.

THE BBC CAN FUCK OFF!!!

July 27 2009 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christi

I think it is sad that another good series bites the dust. Reality shows are honestly getting worse to watch and Primeval is only one of 3 shows that I will actually watch. I understand that everyone is feeling the crunch of the economy worldwide, however, if you don't spend money, you cannot make it. I honestly doubt I will even keep my satellite going much longer with the absence of any good tv shows. I will just go buy the seasonal dvds and call it even. Needless to say, disappointment does not begin to describe this latest good show biting the dust.

June 24 2009 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I've learned to just move on when they cancel shows I like. I won't find it hard to move on from Primeval the way they kept killing off main characters though.

June 18 2009 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I will miss this show...isn't there another show sat on bbc... how do you know the series ends on a cliff hanger.

Speaking of bbc i need to find out about robin hood.

June 18 2009 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I thought the show was well above average, the CGI effects spectacular which ironically helped end the show due to prohibitive costs. I thought the Nick Cutter, Abby, Connor, and Lester characters were very well done...Stephen and Helen quite annoying to me. IMO, the two best episodes are the Gremlin 1 (Season 3 Episode 2) and the one being shown on Sci-Fi this Friday (Season 2 Episode 4). I have now watched all the episodes either on TV or the internet. This series IMO will be made into a movie by WB and probably a series also. I just hope they bring back Abby, Connor, and Lester along with Sarah. Danny I could live without. Becker is just an interchangeable part with Stephen and is no big deal either way.

Just goes to show what TV has become...bascially it is a bunch of reality shows because everything else costs too much to make...either with actor salaries in many cases or in this case...CGI costs.

June 17 2009 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

Bummer :(

June 17 2009 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mdisloki's comment
GL

totally

June 18 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Meh. I've watched the show since it debuted on BBC America last summer. The first two "series" (10-11 episodes is a "series" for Brits) were very well done and only occasionally "super, duper corny," despite the enormous potential lurking in a series about "try not to hurt them" monster hunters who track mostly dinosaurs.

The third season has been really, really, really corny, unfortunately. The 5th episode, with the fungus monsters, was almost too much to take. The writers clearly don't adhere to any rules, and take idiotic short-cuts in order to justify nifty visual effects that have no rational explanation and do not advance the story -- visual effects that turn out to have been TOO EXPENSIVE. Way to think ahead there, mates. Case in point: the fungus monster finale.

The first series was riveting. The "future predator" was awesome. It's been all downhill from there, and I may not even try to keep up with the rest of series 3. They really screwed the pooch here...

Hopefully the US version will take some lessons learned. This could be an excellent cross between Stargate SG-1 and Sanctuary if it is done well.

June 17 2009 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply