December 20, 2014

America yawns as T.R. Knight officially leaves Grey's Anatomy

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 17th 2009 6:25PM
T.R. KnightHalf of you out there probably thought this had already happened. Well, it hadn't, but now it has - EW's Ausiello is reporting that, according to one of his numerous sources, T.R. Knight has been let out of his Grey's Anatomy contract and will not be returning next season.

Can we all breathe one collective sigh of relief now?

I'm not trying to knock Knight at all by saying this, but I'm glad we finally have a resolution here. I'll miss him on the show (George's quirkiness and humor were a huge part of what initially drew me in to Grey's Anatomy), but after the whole mess with Isaiah Washington and three seasons of will he stay or will he go, I'm happy that it's finally over.

Seriously, though: between Knight and Katherine Heigl, we here at TV Squad have no less than a dozen posts in the past year talking about rumors and speculations and what-ifs. I'm tired of blogging about it.

According to Ausiello, there had been some chatter that given George's horribly disfigured face at the end of the season, maybe another actor could portray him thanks to the magic of plastic surgery. Sounds like that won't happen, but considering all the shows that have now been canceled and all the actors that are looking for work, I'll be the first to eat crow when my next blog entry is titled "Jim Belushi cast as George O'Malley."

reobrown

Now isn't that sweet revenge! One down, one to go...Isaiah, justice has finally come!

June 21 2009 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melly

George O'Malley was, while not the only character that makes Grey's worth watching, truly, one of the best characters on the show. He was funny and T.R. Knight played him with a wonderful sweetness that I have loved dearly over the past five years. I will miss him a great deal, but I do not begrudge him his desire to do something else, particularly with the way that he has been neglected as new characters have been brought in. I do think it stinks that he is completely dead, never to be seen again, but apparently the writers did what they though was best for the plotline, not for the character. And, in all honesty, while we all kind of saw the Iraq thing coming, how many of us can say that our socks weren't completely blown off by the twist of John Doe being "007," aka, George? He was one of the backbones of the show, and will remain one of my favorites, even after he is gone. Rest in Peace, George.

June 20 2009 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms. M

While I am not an advocate for homosexuality, I don't feel that his character, role or acting should be undermined because of his sexual preference. George O'Malley brought a genuine goodness, humility and caring facet to the show and he will be missed. I wish him good luck and success in the future

June 19 2009 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

george was the best character on the show, the only one worth watching, the rest are a bunch of whiny idiots.
this show is gonna get flushed down the toilet, trust me, keep an eye on the mid-end season ratings

June 19 2009 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

*wasn't

June 18 2009 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iphonerulez

His character was pretty much a snoozer and one of my least favorite character after Lexi. Hope he can move on to some other series with a more dynamic part. I suppose being gay is still fashionable, so that should help him.

June 18 2009 at 6:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jothie

George was my fav character. If this is true(still seems like RUMORS and not OFFICIAL as the title of the article suggests) then its one more reasons not to tune into Grey's. I stopped watching it pretty much when George's part completely disappeared. Him and Lexi together woulda been great. I dont like the title character at all(can you kill the title character and still keep the show AND the name?) I liked Issie but the whole ghost thing got real stupid real fast. This entire season was a disaster and I blame it on cutting George's part to nothing!

What sucks is if they kill him off he cant even come back for the final episode(which I presume will be pretty darn soon) and if they get a new actor to play him(ala plastic surgery) then that just takes Grey's to the land of Daytime Soaps. Be nice if he stayed, but since I stopped watching it I guess it doesnt matter anymore. I can understand why he'd want to leave. He went from one of the main characters to a background character.

June 18 2009 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
大宝宝

T.R. Knight and Isiah Washington should team up to do buddy cop movies ala Lethal Weapon. It could be Lethal Weapon: The Next Generation

June 18 2009 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to 大宝宝's comment
bayportbob

that's funny!! ;)

June 18 2009 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AliB

good riddance to bad acting...can we bring back Isiah Washington, a real actor? I never liked the George character, he was never believable, and was far too sensitive for my taste. One bad actor down, another one to go...KH..should be next.

June 17 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FOR

this guy was such a bore with his over sized face and dull acting. he brought nothing to the show except sleep.
he will not be missed. i dont know whats ahead of him but i think he is one of the dullest actors around.

June 17 2009 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply