July 30, 2014

Cupid: My Fair Masseuse (series finale) - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 17th 2009 8:05AM
Cupid

Oh, Cupid remake, we hardly knew ye.

So the show is dead and gone. It won't be renewed by ABC and it's not going to be saved by another network. At this rate, with Cupid and Studio 60, some people are going to start calling Sarah Paulson a "show killer." That's silly, of course.

So why didn't this Cupid make it further? Just not good enough? Did it pale in comparison to the Jeremy Piven original? Too many quirky, light shows already on TV? Nothing to grab viewers? The cast?

Kp0bloj

I love the so much I don't get why it didn't attract the show was magnificent any one who disagrees well you won't fall in love so ha

August 19 2009 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
holly

Does anyone know the name of the actor who played Walter in this episode? I thought this show was cute and sweet but I as soon as I found out about it, it was canceled this happened with Pushing Daisies as well, I am starting to get sick of loosing these shows so soon!

June 23 2009 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sbiz

Hi Ktucker.
The actress was Kerry Butler. She recited two passages commonly used in accent reduction and speech classes. Here they are:

What a to-do to die today, at a minute or two to two;
a thing distinctly hard to say, but harder still to do.
For they'll beat a tattoo at twenty to two --
a rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tattoo;
and the dragon will come when he hears the drum
at a minute or two to two today,
at a minute or two to two.

The second one is from the Mikado by Gilbert & Sullivan:

To sit in solemn silence in a dull, dark dock,
In a pestilential prison, with a life-long lock,
Awaiting the sensation of a short, sharp shock,
From a cheap and chippy chopper on a big black block!
A dull, dark dock, a life-long lock,
A short, sharp shock, a big black block!

Enjoy!

June 21 2009 at 5:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sbiz's comment
ktucker

Thanks for sending the quote, sbiz. I hadn't heard it well during the show. I kind of liked 'Cupid' and many other people did, but then again, many people did not.

June 29 2009 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

The original Cupid was way ahead of its time. Yet this remake, oddly, felt irrelevant for these times. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Trivial tidbit: The original Cupid ran for 15 episodes. This remake ran for 7. So, in a way, you could say that ABC finally got around to giving Cupid its remaining episodes to complete a full season -- 11 years later and with different lead actors.

June 20 2009 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david

What is the name of the actress who plays the masseuse (she as a Boston accent, I think?) on Tuesday?

June 19 2009 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to david's comment
ktucker

I dunno the masseuse but I wonder if anyone 'caught' the rhyme she used when practicing her more correct, less regional way of speaking. The rhyme was something like, " 'Tis a terrible thing to be dying today...." Please let me know if anyone knows the exact words? thanks.

June 19 2009 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I missed the last show... did anything get wrapped up?

I loved s60 and i like Sarah Paulson.

June 17 2009 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to PORSCHE's comment
Will

I missed it, too! Didn't even know it was on.

June 18 2009 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Lawler

The psychologist chick thought she had nailed down who Trevor really was after she found a book in his room, but she was wrong, so no, not really. But I liked it.

June 18 2009 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Loved Studio 60 - still ticked it was cancelled. To remake Cupid was pointless - it bombed the first time with a better cast.

June 17 2009 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

For me, it actually was Sarah Paulson. I just don't like her. From the moment I heard she was in it, I knew I would not watch.

June 17 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon B. Knutson

In my opinion? It's getting harder and harder for the more established networks (NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox, for that matter) to get new shows to really click because so many viewers start watching a program, become vested in it, only to have it cancelled -- often before the show's even had a chance to catch on. Look at Cheers -- if the networks were operating then like they are now, that show would've been cancelled during its first season! It takes time to build an audience, and the networks need to do a better job of letting potential viewers know that they're going to commit to a program long-term (at least a full season) before the viewers will return.

USA, TBS and TNT do a much better job with new shows... so far, between those three networks, they've only canceled one program that my wife and I were enjoying.

But that's just my opinion. Perhaps they would be better off trying out new shows with an announced set number of episodes for the first season, so that the creators can work toward a resolution of their main plotlines in advance... and if the show hits (and I'd think they'd be smart to show the new episodes week after week, without interruption or moving to a new time slot or day, and then rerun those immediately following the airing of the last original episode), then they could bring it back for additional episodes the following season... but they need to be up front about it! It seems to work in the UK!

June 17 2009 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jon B. Knutson's comment
CParis

Agree! If I know that a show is going to have a story that lasts 13 episodes and the network is going to air them all, in sequence (not months apart), I might commit the time to a show.

Otherwise, I can always watch the show a year or two later on Hulu.

Also, they need to know when to let some shows go -- there's no reason for some sitcoms and dramas to go one for 10+ years, especially when they start repeating plotlines.

June 17 2009 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

hah i called her a show killer! I don't know if I think she's a bad actress or if I just really don't like any of her characters.

June 17 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cdawg's comment
Jennifer

I suspect she is mostly just a really FLAT actress. Not a lot of personality or charm.

June 19 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply