July 24, 2014

Hawthorne: Pilot (series premiere)

by Michael Pascua, posted Jun 17th 2009 12:20AM
Jada Pinkett Smith as Christina Hawthorne(S01E01) I often get complaints from my registered nurse parents about the inaccuracy of hospital drama shows. Don't even get me started on how much my mother hates Grey's Anatomy. I came to Hawthorne with hesitation: can the show balance the drama with the medical cases? I was surprised how well the show balanced meetings, patients, and outlying drama.

Anyone else think that Jada Pinkett Smith deserves a better career than she's gotten? Her IMDB page screams regrettable movies that didn't showcase her acting skills. I loved watching her in Hawthorne and truly think she can handle Oscar-caliber roles.

For the first episode, Hawthorne dropped everything onto the viewers' lap. The show took a few cues from Grey's Anatomy, notably the music at the end of the show. The show thankfully isn't a nurse's version Grey's Anatomy. It's more of a nurse's version of Saving Grace.

The one thing I haven't gotten acclimated to is the names of all these characters. Other than the fact that Christina's name is mentioned, I felt like the audience didn't know exactly who everyone was. Did anyone else need a cast tree with lines that represented who knew each other and who hated each other? I was also confused as to who represented the core ensemble of actors because we were introduced to a mass amount of nurses, doctors, patients, and family members. I don't even know which were one-shot characters or which we'd see next week. I do hope we get to see crazy bag lady (who reminded me of Macy Gray) try taking care of her baby.

One thing about hospitals that I know is the racial diversity of the employees of big city hospitals. Happily, Hawthorne displayed a good slice of what a hospital looks like today. I was also happy that the show instantly tackled interaction between doctors and nurses. I've heard stories about nurses that catch insane diagnoses and prescriptions (don't get me started on pharmacists trying to read chicken scratch), and I've seen doctors get fired for their negligence.

The biggest flaw I had with the show was the sheer amount of commercials. The first block was actually about ten minutes without commercials, and then when I was just about to get into the show, it went to commercial. Then it seemed like every five minutes the show went to commercial. If there was any show that I'd suggest DVR-ing, this show has just ramped up next to American Idol.

By the end of the show I got Christina, but I didn't understand everyone else. If the show explained which characters are important (apparently jerking-friendly nurse Candy is a main character according to the official website), I think I would have a better appreciation of the show. There were two questions I was left with: Is this going on my DVR? This isn't a live show, because of the mass of commercials. The other question was: would I jerk-off an army officer because he served his country?

sylvia

I would love for the networks to do whats best for the fans. I would love to see Dr. Burke transfer from Greys to Hawthorne as Christina's Ex! Greys hasn't been the same without him. He is an incredibly yummy actor!! He dominates the screen.Hawthorne is getting better and better. The real movie actors makes it hard not to watch. Tom has to kiss, hugs, flirt with christina all the time for it to be believeable. They have to have at least two bedroom scenes a show in the nude. There love has to be the center of the show. Thats why Marc anthony stole her. Tom and Christina have to have a on fire, passionate all the time love in front of the camera for us to be fo fight for their relationship. I. Washington our fallen heartthrob you are irreplaceable. I am a nurse. He is my ideal Doctor.

July 29 2011 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sylvia

I would love for the networks to do whats best for the fans. I would love to see Dr. Burke transfer from Greys to Hawthorne as Christina's Ex! Greys hasn't been the same without him. He consumes his roles. I show is getting better and better. The real movie actors make it incredible. It's impossible not to watch. Tom has to kiss, hugs, flirt with christina all the time for it to be believeable. They have to have aleast to bedroom scenes show, without the shirts off. There love has to be the center of the show. Thats why Marc anthony stole her. Tom and Christina have to have a on fire, passionate all the time love in front of the camera for us to be for them. I. Washington our fallen heartthrob you are irreplaceable. I am a nurse. He my ideal Dr. powerful, dominate and extremely talent.

July 29 2011 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DoraL

I wouldnt call it too realistic, but its just tv, Nurse Jackie is more realistic, except in real life, where I come from, both doctors AND nurses dont give a damn

I like all the supporting characters, except maybe that woman from Judging Amy, but she's always annoying

Jada doesnt fully fit the role but its tolerable.

What the hell happened to Michael Vartan?? I was thrilled to see him on tv again but he just looks chubby, pasty, with swollen eyes, he used to be such hotness, is his character ill??

July 14 2009 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phineasboggs

The first 10 minutes of a show should intrigue and seduce me into wanting more. However, chase scenes do not excite me or draw me into a story line. It seems like an "action movie" Jada is not a sympathetic or likeable character.

The start of the show was a turnoff. And, I turned it off. But I didn't delete it.

Thumbs down so far. I'll give it another chance but that's it. I'll try to sit through the rest of the show, but, like a restaurant, if the first meal makes me sick, I won't go back.

June 18 2009 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

The majority of posters on the TNT website are vehemently against this horrible show. Colleagues are requesting Reglan, NGTs, show DNRs to help tolerate it and hate the "can't be further from the truth" aspects of the show. Almost all seem to agree with the national professional organization's formal protest of this rediculous and invalid depiction of nurses. Since the writers haven't any talent, they are relying on shock and shame to sell views. Nurses are calling for boycotts of the sponsors. What a shame.

June 17 2009 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Beth's comment
rosanne

Actually its not the majority of nurses its a handful of ignorant nurses who are doing the nursing profession huge damage by their "I am better than everyone on this planet and no one knows anything (even those doctors who do umpteen years of training), and no one knows what it is like to care for people but me (well hello ask real caregivers who look after family at home 24/7) and I have the ability to bring people back from the dead attitude' give me a break. I am over it frankly, they (including the nurses board who has absurdley not put a stop to the stupidity) have a lot of work to do if they want me to give them any respect. I do though feel sorry for those nurses (especially those who are graduating) who are as dismayed at what they have read as I am maybe they can rectify the situation from those who have brought their profession into disrepute!!!!
Its a tv show not a documentary so I am looking forward to many seasons of it.

June 19 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennieO

I grew tired of her smug, self-satisfied character just from watching the commercials. I'd take Spongebob over this piece of pablum.

June 17 2009 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J-Sim

Actually, Jada Pinkett Smith's IMDB page screams regrettable acting skills showcased in popular movies. I have seen no evidence that she can handle Oscar-caliber roles beyond being married to Will Smith.
I specifically avoided Hawthorne due to her starring role.

June 17 2009 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RLP

I was just curious if anyone knew why they made the show take place in Richmond, VA where I live. The name of the hospital is not in Richmond and its not filmed there (the big hospital is VCU Medical Center). Just wondering who or why set it there. Is it important to the show?

June 17 2009 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RLP's comment
Michael Pascua

I don't exactly know why they picked Richmond, but I have to guess that it was because of the racial background (yay for strong black women), the proximity to Washington DC (two hours seems like a lot but the TV world is fantastical and helicopters are fast), and it's not Seattle (Grey's Anatomy), Chicago (ER), Los Angeles (Scrubs), or New York (General Hospital).

June 17 2009 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I thought it the most realistic medical show yet! Things move that fast in a hospital! All the characters in each episode are important and we know that nurse Hawthorne is the main character. The others seemed to bring themselves out as to who will be showing up again. Don't understand the problems you had with this excellent show--except the commercials--which we watched from DVR.

June 17 2009 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j_allen52

Maybe the complaints are because there really is no way to accurately portray the living h#ll an R.N. really goes through.
And for anyone to made snide remarks about this, if you've walked anyplace close to my tired a## shoes you wouldn't.

June 17 2009 at 6:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to j_allen52's comment
Michael Pascua

When the show starts tackling things like varicose veins from long standing and caffeine addictions, I'll call the show accurate.

At this point, I find it to be an intriguing drama that revolves around real nurses, not those snippy Grey's Anatomy side-character nurses. Don't get me wrong, the show is fast-paced (that's good) but it did drop everything on my lap in one episode.

June 17 2009 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply