September 1, 2014

Reaper creators join Dollhouse writing staff

by Mike Moody, posted Jun 18th 2009 2:33PM
dollhouse reaper whedonWay back in April we reported that Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters, creators of The CW's Reaper, had signed a deal with 20th Century Fox and would most likely be leaving Reaper behind. Now that The CW has officially canceled Reaper to make room for its upcoming slate of bubblegum teen TV, Fazekas and Butters are joining the writing staff of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse. The Reaper duo will begin their Dollhouse stint in season two, which kicks off Friday, Sept. 18 on Fox.

I have mixed feelings about this news. I'm glad that Dollhouse nabbed these two obviously talented and funny writers, but I'm still bummed about Reaper's cancellation. And while this might mean that Dollhouse will deliver more smart, nerdy comedy in season two, that Friday night death slot still has me worried.

Brad is sure the show will be canceled by the end of the year, and I can't blame him. Fox almost axed Dollhouse in season one. The show had to make some serious budget cuts to get a green light for season two. I'd love to see the show get better and better next season, but that just might make it harder to see it go.

[Via The A.V. Club]

YouFaceTheTick

This will improve dollhouse? Hmm. We just watched the pilot for Reaper. Didn't impress me. Seemed jokey and brainless.

June 20 2009 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Where's a full size version of that image ( http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2009/02/dollhouse1.jpg )?

June 19 2009 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmm....cheesy

Even if "Dollhouse" is canceled, I don't think Fazekes and Butters are going to be on for more than one series of dollhouse anyway. It was a development deal, if I'm not mistaken. Usually with development deals, writers are placed on an existing show or new show that has already been in development until they develop their own show. If their new idea/script is approved for a pilot, they leave.

Still, this is good news. "Reaper" always had a slight Buffy feel to me but with a bit more humour. Dollhouse doesn't have a whole lot of humour that Buffy or Firefly had, but maybe with Joss Whedon hiring these two, he clearly wants to go in that direction.

June 18 2009 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott K.

I gave it a shot because it was Whedon's show. While it did get better and there were some good parts to it, I wasn't crushed when it was rumored to be cancelled. I'll stick with it for a few episodes next season, but if it doesn't build on the improvements near the end, I'll just pull out the Firefly DVDs.

June 18 2009 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

It's a wast of time, for some unknown reason people only like to watch reality television??? Bean counters only care about profit with the least amount of cost. So talented Writers Actors,Producers & Directors are just wasting their time. The General Public only want to sit back and watch mindless crap! So as long as this fad lasts, it's just a wast of time.

June 18 2009 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

All Whedon has control over is making "DollHouse" a great show with the writing, acting, talent that he has. Why don't you tell the naysayers who say "I love everything Whedon does, but I don't watch "DollHouse" to um...watch "DollHouse". If his own fans aren't willing to give Whedon the benifit of the doubt then why should we cry foul on Fox if they end up letting it go? I'm a Whedon fan who watches "DollHouse" and want to see it last.

June 18 2009 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply