April 20, 2014

Think the Real Housewives of Jersey is over? Fuggedaboudit!

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 18th 2009 11:29AM
Caroline Manzo during the Real Housewives of NJ finaleThe power of The Real Housewives of New Jersey is amazing to me. I normally can't stand the Real Housewives series. And, as a lifelong Jerseyan, the Sopranos-esque stereotypes of pampered Bergen County wives initially made me queasy. But dammit, the show hooked me and kept me watching the whole season; it even led me to write the hacky headline above. Why? Because this one had a plot.

The story of the creepily over-Botoxed Danielle Staub and how the rest of the Housewives found out about her sordid past was the thread that kept even Bravo-except-for-Top-Chef-averse people like myself tuning in. Oh, and the fact that they teased the "Last Supper" finale all season (showing matriarch Caroline saying "we're thick as thieves" about a thousand times) also kept me watching. And the finale didn't disappoint: people turning on each other, tables getting tipped over, exceedingly mature children horrified at their parents' behavior... it was great.

But if you thought it was over, think again. As the New York Post reports and Bravo has been promoting, the cable net will air four more episodes.

There will be a "director's cut" of the finale dinner, two finale episodes, and a "lost footage" episode. So you can get your fill of the Housewives into July.

You had to know that as they were filming that supper -- the owners of Lu Nello in Cedar Grove, NJ must be proud of being associated with that mess -- Andy Cohen of Bravo was calling up his people to try to lockdown the extra time. Indeed, the much-hyped finale attracted 3.5 million viewers, the most of any Housewives finale. I guess season two -- and I can't imagine there won't be a season two -- will have a lot more than six episodes, huh?

And, judging by the interview Caroline Manzo gave our friends at Pop Eater, this story isn't over: "I'm not a hypocrite. You do what you need to do when you're adults. I made this bed and I'll lie in it," she said about having to promote the show with Danielle. "She will never be a friend of mine."

Boy, do I hate myself for loving this show. But you have to admit that Bravo's hit on a winning formula here.

Is anyone out there like me, drawn to the Jersey wives even though he hates the rest of the series? Let me know in the comments.

[via TV Week and Mediabistro]

barbara

I can not believe kim g is back on the show. she is just as big of a trouble maker as danielle was, only she tries to act younger than her fifty fours years. she is the most two faced, back stabbing person i have ever seen, her husband and son must be proud. she need to grow up and act her age and try to get along in that small area they live in. there is enough trouble in the show with milissa and her sisters and joey gorga, a kim g they do not need, she just does not fit in with that crowd.

May 24 2011 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joy

I love the Real Housewives of New Jersey! I have never, ever watched any reality TV until this show and I really enjoyed getting to know these gusty, ballsy ladies. It really takes you away from your mundane life and helps you forget your problems, but I also realized that despite their money and advantages, these gals are real people too! Dina is my favorite since she is a "cat person" like myself and I hope to see more of Granny Wrinkles next season.

A great show and a great escape - I'll continue to watch and hope for a second season!

July 01 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LOLA LANE

I LUV THIS STUPID SHOW!

June 30 2009 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jasmine

Caroline and Dina are hateful people with ugly hearts. Especially Caroline. I feel badly for their children. And did anyone see the episode where Jaqueline talked about hitting Dina? Hmmm I wonder about this and if it actually happened? What does anyone else think about this? I know Danielle has made some bad mistakes in her life but somehow I feel bad for her though. I think Theresa is a beautiful Gal and it's nice to see that she and her hubby have such a good relationship.

June 24 2009 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Are these idiots Italian or Greek? Please say Greek! I can't imagine Italians being so stupid.

June 21 2009 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Wow! What a show! I totally enjoyed this. I would not want to be Danielle. I do pity her in some ways. Jacqueline is the dream friend all of us need. Her money and beauty has not gone to her head, can't say the same for Dina who is full of herself. She is far from naturally pretty like Jacqueline, and she needs to fast forward twenty years and hope her husband doesn't dump her without means to live the life she is accustomed to like Danielle. Teresa is a beautiful girl, and needs to stop letting Caroline and Dina influence her way of thinking. I was sorry to see Teresa lose it on the show. She let Caroline and Dina fill her with garbage which led her to be so judgemental about someone else's life. She has it all and can afford to be kinder, which is what I saw in her from the beginning. If Teresa wants to align herself with honest people, she needs to stand beside Jacqueline, and raise her children to do what's right and honest, not what protects those who harm others to protect themselves. Caroline and Dina want to come off as two refined women, who actually operate out of the gutter. Danielle needs to stay out of Caroline and Dina's lives if she hopes to keep Jacqueline's friendship. Stop the drama, and get on to what is important in life, and that surely is not Caroline and Dina!

June 20 2009 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Linda's comment
Sue

I couldn't agree more. Caroline telling Al to apologize for calling their daughter "stupid" and then you can hear her saying, "you're so stupid" regarding her daughter, after the patio discussion about her cosmetology school. If you listen to her, Caroline says during that rant of hers, "I want you to..." never asking her what she wants. These adults children of hers, seemingly, do not have a say what they get to do for their life's work, evidenced by Al's "this is a dictatorship, not a democracy". How sad it was when Lauren said, "I will go to the school and do what she (Caroline) says or I will be written out". Caroline must get a warm fuzzy over that one! To know that her child values her "opinion" because she will be written out as opposed to just because she loves me. What a shame! Time to cut the cord MOM! Or would that be too frightening to lose that kind of control? Pathetic! What a classic case of an enmeshed family! Bravo Caroline and Al...job well done! Don't get me started on the "guilt" she threw Jacqueline at the "Last Supper" when she said, "you know who you are really hurting...my parents." That was really lower than low!

June 23 2009 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WineyCougar

LMAO

Good One!!

June 19 2009 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jersey Girl

They are more like NY'ers and are so far north of the state that they should be considered NY'ers. They are faaaaar from being what good Jersey girls are.

I've NEVER been around anyone who has thrown a table or acted like that in a restaurant. Teresa wanted her girls taken out of the room when Danielle started talking about her book but it was okay for them to listen while she told her story about her very early post operative sexy times with Joe. What the????

I want a seed from Teresa's money tree that she MUST have growing in her garden since she doesn't have a job but is the sole owner on her NJ homes. Yeah, THAT'S normal. NOT!

Where the heck is Dina's husband? He can't be shy. He was all over that other reality show about obnoxious weddings when he was marrying Dina. Guess he jumped back into the closet!

Caroline saying that her father in law's murder wasn't mob related and she's appauled at any talk about their being mob ties to her family is hilarious. Palllllease! She doesn't want her family's history brought up but its okay for her to dig into Danielle's. Can anyone say double standard and hypocrite?

Caroline has a hint of being redeemable if she stopped putting her own integrity into question by all the obvious covering up she's doing.

June 19 2009 at 4:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WineyCougar

With the exception of Jacqueline the RHONJ are a bunch of superficial ho-bags that should be dumped in the middle of Camden.

June 18 2009 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to WineyCougar's comment
wulfn1

what did Camden ever do to you?

June 19 2009 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

I'm another Jersey girl - Bergen County, no less - who got sucked in to RHONJ. I never saw the Atlanta version. I watched a couple episodes of the Orange County version but could not relate. I watched a couple episodes of New York, but only for Bethanny. I watched the first episode of RHONJ and bam! - addicted!

I don't hate Danielle. I wouldn't want to be friends with her, but it's fascinating to watch her and dissect her behavior.

June 18 2009 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply