July 25, 2014

Grey's Anatomy - The Video Game

by Brad Trechak, posted Jun 21st 2009 2:32PM

Grey's AnatomyWhile this isn't actually news about Grey's Anatomy, I did find this sketch regarding a fictitious Grey's Anatomy video game to be pretty funny. Danny already mentioned this in his TV Squad Ten list, but I thought I'd write about this one. I've known a few people (mostly women) who have liked the show and cannot help but think of the South Park opinion that the show is watched by married couples who don't really have sex anymore (feel free to inform me of exactly how wrong I am in the comments).

I view the sketch as also a commentary on the similarities and differences between the nerd culture and the Grey's Anatomy culture. I've actually watched an episode of the show a few years back and then decided that if I was ever seriously sick, Seattle Grace Hospital is the very last place I would want to be taken. A knee scrape or similar small injury would be fine. The medical staff there are nice to look at, but they're all nuts.

Video after the jump...

Brad Trechak

My apologies. When I saw the sketch, I honestly thought the game was fictitious, particularly when the video review was from a site called collegehumor.com.

However, the game is real. For those who enjoy such games, consider this free publicity for it.

June 21 2009 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara Benincasa

I'm the lady comedian in the video, and trust me, there were moments when I thought the game was some crazy hallucination I was having. But no, sadly, it is freaking REAL. I haven't been a gamer since I was a kid, and then I was all about Sierra Online games for la computadora rather than video games, but I can tell you this: the King's Quest series circa 1989 was WAY more compelling than this super-modern, nice-looking craptacular festival of insanity. Most of the time, the look on my face during this video is one of absolute astonishment combined with irritation--not at the dudes, who were great, but at the horrid, horrid game.

June 21 2009 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Clarendon

Ease up, folks. The game is so ridiculous, it's not surprising that Brad thought it was fictitious and thus thought the whole thing was a sketch. So you don't need to point out the same errors three times. Thanks for sharing the video, Mr. Trechak.

June 21 2009 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dan Clarendon's comment
Argus

While the first user was fecicious, he was not overly vicious. I was straight to the point, and the third user provided context. Mr. Trechak is not doing this for charity, he gets paid, and as such should be held to a certain professional standard.

I am also a paid writer. If I publish a factual error it is my duty to update the online version of the article and publish a correction for the print version. For one organization that I write for, if I did not do this on my own, my editor would step in and require me to do so. For the other organization, which I am in charge of, not requiring a correction from my writers or from myself would result in a loss of esteem from my readers.

For new-media outlets such as TVSquad, the road to gaining a level of esteem such as Alan Sepinwall has comes from the maintenance of a professional standard. This does not mean shying away from opinion pieces; it means consistent fact checking and editing for style, something which often lacks on this site. There is a reason that sites which publish far less than TVSquad do as well if not better: Quality over content.

I truly enjoy this site and have for many years, but I believe that this is a consistent problem which needs to be addressed. I will to continue to enjoy this site in the future, but hope to see an increase in the quality of style (specifically referring to spelling) and fact-checking from some of the writers.

/end rant (note: rant itself not edited for style, because I don't get paid for this!)

June 21 2009 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

Yeah, this game is 100% real, ask your sister blog Joystiq, they've made fun of it a few times.

Bleep Bloop isn't really a sketch either, it's whole purpose is to play and review (and well, basically make fun of) video games, particularly bad video games. Kind of like Zero Punctuation or something.

June 21 2009 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

This is both not a sketch, and not a fictional videogame. It is in fact, real people talking about a a real videogame. The fact that they do so in a humourous manner does not make it a sketch. This article needs a re-write.

June 21 2009 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ATK

I view this post on a commentary on either not doing your research, or being sadly mistaken about what "fictitious" and "sketch" mean.

June 21 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply