October 25, 2014

If more '80s cartoons were given to movie directors

by Brad Trechak, posted Jun 21st 2009 11:02AM

The TransformersWith childhood animated icons such as Transformers and G.I.Joe getting the movie treatment (sadly done by Michael Bay), Atom Films put together an animated montage of hypothetical '80s characters (cartoon and otherwise) if they were redone by current directors. I think the sketch would have a little more impact if they did it live-action for each segment rather than animated, but I could be in the minority opinion.

I'm not sure which one is my favorite. The Smurfs done by Peter Jackson is certainly up there. Teddy Ruxpin by Wes Anderson is also a hoot. There are a few that aren't mentioned in the video that I think should have been mentioned:

Which franchises have I forgotten? And which directors do you think can cover these franchises? Which directors would piss on the memory of them and utterly obliterate them?

Video is after the jump.

Dr.Phantom

what about the silverhawks? they are right up there with the thundercats, transformers, and gi joe

August 09 2009 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dr.Phantom

This is an awesome site. reliving my childhood with cartoons that meant a lo.

August 09 2009 at 2:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stg

Bay is alright for summer blockbusters. His movies make a boatload of money for the studios. You cant really expect deep thought provoking movies from him. I think he did a good job with transformers.

June 22 2009 at 2:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Thundercats.

June 21 2009 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

Quinten Tarentino's Thundar The Barbarian!

June 21 2009 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Fortunately RB's been covered.

June 21 2009 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Jem and the Holograms directed by Amy Heckerling. "Showtime Synergy" will become the new "As if!"

Brian--genius!

June 21 2009 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MP

Sabre Rider, Starzinger, Thundercats, Cobra(?)

June 21 2009 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

This actually is a good one that I would be interested in seeing, and it's not quite a "cartoon" but Fragile Rock by Guillermo Del Toro would be AWESOME!!

June 21 2009 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply