December 21, 2014

Was Katee Shean actually the runner up on So You Think You Can Dance?

by Michael Pascua, posted Jun 21st 2009 1:19PM
Katee Shean runner up of season four?
As a big fan of the X-Files and Reality TV, I love thinking about and reading conspiracy theories about eliminations. While re-watching the audition episodes of So You Think You Can Dance I noticed during Adam Shankman's fake audition, Katee Shean critiqued him. Below her it read "runner up."

Wait a second. She was second runner up. Shouldn't it just say "finalist" or "second runner up" instead?

I know I'm thinking too hard, but I created an interesting theory about Katee. Maybe the producers knew she was the actual runner up, but thought that wouldn't make good television. They placed her in third and gave her money to compensate. Here are some points of interest.

She received money – No third runner up received money before, let alone the top person of the opposite sex of the winner. That's shafting Twitch isn't it? I think Katee was placed in third as an excuse to give her the money earlier so that she wouldn't be shadowed by Joshua's win. I don't think anyone remembers what happened to Twitch in the end because everyone was like "OMG Joshua won!" By placing Katee third, people would remember that she was given money.

She was featured in the most judges' picks – In the final episode when the judges got to pick their favorite routines of the season, Katee was featured in the most: four out of nine performances. To compare, Twitch was in three, and both Josh and Courtney were in two. It could be just the fact that Katee won over the judges in the end or the producers wanted to emphasize a point that she actually was runner up.

She never landed in the bottom four – Along with winner Joshua, Katee never appeared in the bottom four, even when Josh and Katee were split up. Interesting fact: the one week that Katee was paired up with Twitch (pre-finale where everyone dances with everyone), Twitch landed in the bottom four, but Katee didn't. The only thing different was their solo. She slowly amassed a voting block that helped her get out of the bottom and I don't see how they wouldn't vote on the last episode.

They wanted to emphasize Hip-Hoppers - Since the show usually stacks the contestants in favor of Contemporary-styled dancers, the Ballroom/Latin and the Hip-Hop dancers often get shafted. Since Sabra (contemporary) won the season before beating Danny (Classical/Contemporary), the show probably wanted to show that they could find competent Hip-Hop dancers. Instead of putting Katee in the actual runner-up position, they instead decided to put Twitch to make emphasize that they can find a good hip-hop dancer.

I understand that this is all wacky theory, but it makes me laugh thinking about how all the pieces come up. There are a few outlying factors like how the untrustworthy Dial Idol thought Katee was third, but they don't consider text messaging. Do you think there's some validity in my theory? Leave some comments below with theories or any sources that I may not have seen.

IceKub

I just happened to stumble upon this article three years later and I love it, mostly because Katee was my favorite and I thought she should have one. Moreover, all of your points seem extremely valid.

She WAS the only second runner up to receive money... and that's pretty legit itself.

She still to this day has the most loved and remembered dances. Tonight's episode featured 6 old contemporary dances, and 2 of which were hers. Yes, Twitch had 2 featured as well, but everyone else had only 1.

And she was so consistently awesome!! She never got in the bottom for a good reason! The judges never said anything bad about her... I think they didn't pick her to win because they like to see people win who have improved a ton. Well you can't improve dramatically if you are already AMAZING.

Obviously I'm too passionate about this, but I was actually upset about the fact that she didn't win or at least come in second. Nonetheless, I continue to watch the show, because I love the dancing (and secretly because I hope she'll make a guest appearance)

August 16 2012 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

She was SECOND runner-up. Courtney was third.

June 22 2009 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MarcDom7's comment
Michael Pascua

Noted. I tend to have trouble with placements. Third place and "third runner up" are two totally different positions.

Katee was second runner up and in third place according to the show.

June 22 2009 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

They never actually said that she didn't come in 2nd place or that Twitch did. They were very careful not to say anything like that if I recall correctly.

June 22 2009 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Third runner up is a 'runner up', so, what is the issue here? This isn't even a semantics issue, despite 'third' being removed it's still factually accurate.

June 21 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carmie

Oreo - all her fans care!
The Official Katee Shean Froup

Interesting perspective, my take on it was that Twitch & Katee was from the same area, so the fans' votes were split.

June 21 2009 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IanG

I thought it was pretty obvious she was the actual runner up for the reasons stated. If Twitch wasn't second he was shafted, she was given the award at the time she was so she could receive her own accolades rather than be overshadowed by Josh. Plus IIRC the judges words at teh time were rather ambiguous.

June 21 2009 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to IanG's comment
RJ

Yeah, I pretty much thought she was the runner up last year when they gave her the money. I thought it was a race between her and Joshua anyways.

June 21 2009 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amy3717

They gave Katie the money because she was the top girl. It said on the finale. It makes to me because a girl and guy got voted out each week. If they want to showcase each gender equally then it is only fair to make the runner-up of the other gender than the one who won..

June 21 2009 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

No one cares!

No one remembers her, no one remembers that she was given money! Hell I didn't know she got money until I read this.

Sure they should have most likely said finalist, but no one remembers, no one cares! Jesus Christ!

June 21 2009 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
lil

Apparently you cared enough to comment.

I think it's an interesting theory and one that's been debated about in the forums. I think if Hip Hop hadn't been so highlighted in season 4, Katee might have won the whole thing. But then again it's America's favorite dancer, not best.

June 28 2009 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply