August 23, 2014

Jon and Kate's special announcement isn't a big surprise

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 22nd 2009 2:50PM
Jon & Kate in A few days ago, we mentioned that TLC was heavily promoting tonight's episode of Jon & Kate Plus 8, pushing the fact that the couple will make a "special announcement" about their crumbling relationship. My colleague Mike Pascua speculated on what was going to happen, but the good folks at Radar Online (who I wrote for occasionally in their pre-Enquirer-owned days) have already latched on to what the announcement is likely going to be.

And, to be honest, it's about the least surprising news you could think of. More after the jump.

According to the Radar article, the Gosselins are going to file for divorce, with Jon being the person who is going to file the papers (Update 6/23: Apparently, Kate was the one who filed). It doesn't really matter, though; the marriage has been in trouble for quite awhile, as the article -- and the many, many before it since the whole Jon and Kate mess began -- pointed out.

I was really holding out hope that the special announcement was going to be that the two of them were going to end the show. I guess that was too much to ask for. Even in the throes of a divorce, it seems like Jon and Kate are still going to exploit their ki-- er, fulfill their contract -- until the bitter end.

Yes, it might be interesting to see how the two of them deal with the fact that their marriage is over and how it's going to affect the kids. But that's going to wear thin on audiences pretty quickly. No one wants to see eight little kids suffering through a broken marriage that's laid bare for the entire nation to see... do they?

[via AOL TV]

Joyce N.

deree83: RIDICULOUS!!!!

June 26 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deree

Jon didn't care that Kate was bossing him around until he started to look at message boards (such as these) and hear everyone saying that "she treats him like crap...and he shoundn't put up with it" etc. I think if ANY married couple had to have half of America critique their marriage it would cause serious problems with their relationship. They were both happy with their roles in their marriage until someone told them they shouldn't be!!
So, who's fault is it? Well, I guess if they weren't totally comfortable with themselves, they shouldn't have displayed thier marriage for all of America to see.
HE shouldn't have listened to everyone else's opionion on HIS marriage.
SHE shoudn't have had room to change when she saw that she was being labeled a b*itch.
WE should have not messed with what was working fine for them for 10 years.
TLC should be ashamed of themselves! I used to watch the show, now I get sick just thinking about it!
CANCEL IT ALREADY!

June 26 2009 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leni

Nothing would surprise me. Not when this show has lasted this long as it is. When I watched a few minutes of an episode here and there, I'd wonder why this was still on, surely no one actually watched the show regularly?
My husband grew up with a loud mouthed, verbally abusive mother. I find nothing entertaining in being privy to what these kids go through on a daily basis. It's sad, there's nothing entertaining about it. Now if America would just stop tuning in maybe it would quietly go away, as it should have after the first couple of episodes. As long as millions of voyeurs tune in every week to watch these parents screw up their kid's lives it's not going anywhere. good thing I can choose to not watch the show. As I said, I've seen it, 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. maybe a total of 30 minutes and I'm sad I contributed to their viewing audience for that long.

June 24 2009 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sammy

Another thing to think about, it came out Jon had this other women over at their home with the kids there. I am sorry but that is just being a nasty little brat on his part. Also anyone piuck up one of the little boys saying his girlfriend is comming over. want to bet, he is repeating what his so called innocent father said. My guess we saw Kate being tuff but I can imagine what went on behind the scenes. when she first met him he was bumming around. She gets a bad rap, no she is not perfect but he is far worst in how I see it but just my opinion

June 23 2009 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sammy

I have to say, I still think Kate gets a bad rap. Jon is nothing but a big baby stomping his feet. He whines how he is only 32, well then be a man and stop being a baby. He could not even hold down a job. Sorry but I have no pitty for this selfish little boy

June 23 2009 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Another thing to keep in mind: how many of us were raised with loving step-parents (that most of us hated at first, and now wouldn't trade for the world!)
Maybe this will work out for the best. The kids could get two more, maybe saner, adults in their lives who love them and look out for them - and could experience their parents relaxed and happy for the first time in years. All that underlying tension and conflict, so apparent to us viewers, has to be a hundred times more palpable to the children. Having it gone may be a good thing.

June 23 2009 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

Even though their lives were taped for our enjoyment (or not for those Non-Kate & John fans)... it WAS really their lives and they really are getting a divorce. How can people be so cold? I feel so bad for them as husband and wife breaking up and I especially feel bad for them as a whole family. I don't think they are going to fight it out and make it harder then it already is. God Bless them!

June 23 2009 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moneyremix

An Old Friend Of Jon's (Not Kate's) Speaks Up (Interesting): http://tinyurl.com/oyqsfm

June 23 2009 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robin

Any fool knew this was coming years ago............how much could any guy take being beating up on a daily basis. Jon was a wuss..............he finally woke up....he's still a kid........32..........The coupon show was the "ace in the hole." He could NOT recover from that one. I am a mother and never had a husband who did half as much for only 2 children. She's nuts; she's the one who decided they needed the six. She's the one who didn't need their families........or church.

June 23 2009 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boxcar

Jon and Kate are just greedy. Look, I mean, I like stuff, I'm not gonna lie. Would I be willing to risk harming, let alone actually harm, my family so that I could have more stuff? Hell no. There is something wrong with the both of them. My God, Kate actually used the phrase "the show must go on". No, for f***'s sake, the show does not have to go on. "We've always done the show for the kids." Yeah? The kids need $75,000 an episode? 8 episodes and ALL of their college is paid for. They didn't pay for that big fancy house they got.

These people disgust me. How do they expect to handle eight children by themselves? What's going to happen to these eight beautiful children when they realize that their parents put them through the hell of a divorce rather than take a pay cut? Those poor kids.

And the worst part of it? The two of them sit there, staring, straight-faced, into the camera, and tell us that A. They're doing what's best for the kids, B. They've done everything they've done FOR the kids, and C. That everything else is the problem, but it's certainly not the show.

Seriously, they make me vomit a little bit in my mouth.

June 23 2009 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply