October 30, 2014

True Blood: Keep This Party Going

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 22nd 2009 5:20AM
True Blood - Keep This Party Going

Well, eeewwww! I hope nobody was eating dinner during this episode, because there were some real gross-out scenes. The opener with a chained-in-the-basement Lafayette being hit by a severed arm and watching Erik drool large amounts of blood was bad enough. But later when Lafayette foraged through the guy's severed leg to find a piece of metal (at least, I think it was metal) to jimmy his chain lock open ... well, I was seriously cringing.

I'm really trying not to reveal spoilers on the front page, but there's not a whole lot about True Blood that isn't a spoiler. I guess I could talk about Bill and Sookie having makeup sex and post-sex pillow talk, and how interesting it was to Bill ... nah, that's just not interesting enough on its own for pre-jump text.

Let's talk about Jessica. I can't figure out if she really was missing her family, or if she got Sookie to drive her home so she could attack her dad. Thoughts on that? Jessica seemed genuinely happy to see her mom and sister, but then to her dad, she said, "Go ahead, Daddy, get your belt. But this time, I'll be ready for you."

Ok, writing that makes me think she went there with the precise intention of killing her dad. But when Bill got there just in time to stop her ... yipes when he told Sookie to "Shut up!" and then made her leave "so I can clean up your mess!" There's either going to be some more major makeup sex in their future, or these two will just implode. At any rate, do you think Bill is going to kill Jessica's dad?

There's definitely some sparks flying between Jason and Sarah Newlin. But what's up with his jealous roommate, Luke? He's just annoying at the moment, although correct me if I get this line wrong, but I believe he said this to Jason: "What is it with you snapping the American flag like you're some Muslim Buffy with a dick?" That was funny, Those Light of Day people are creepy ("Die, Fangers!") with their sexy-Jesus singer.

And speaking of annoying, I really just want to smack Maryann, because she's super-annoying right now, what with her casting her weird spell on the people at Merlotte's and then forcing Sam to turn into a dog. I'm not grooving on her shakey-shake thing; it's a little cheesy. Kind of like the romance brewing between Tara and Eggs - just not feeling it. But I think Tara is right not to trust Maryann: "Something inside of me says it's weird to trust it," she tells Sookie about staying at Maryann's. Still, I only see trouble ahead for Sookie if Tara moves in with her.

Erik and his hair-foil-blood fetish is funny, but I like him better with long hair. With short hair, he just seems like a nerdy vampire rather than a manly vampire. It was funny, though, when the saleslady at the store where Bill was shopping for clothes for Jessica thought Bill and Erik were gay. "It's the new me," said Erik. "You like?" To which Bill replied, "I do, very much."

I liked Erik's line to Lafayette when he took him upstairs after tearing the other guy apart: "I wouldn't try anything rash if I were you. I'm still hungry."

So ... it looks like Lafayette is going to be a vampire! "Not only will I be a baddass vampire," he tells Erik, "but I'll be YOUR baddass vampire." I also think that Sookie might get ticked enough at Bill to start something up with Erik.

As always, I await your thoughts on this episode like a thirsty vampire.

Sharon

I LOVE True Blood! Bite Me!

June 29 2009 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bunnyman

Michelle Forbes could not be more awesome. She is mesmerizing every second she is on-screen and is doing a fantastic job with her character. I don't care who or what she is - give me more Maryann!

June 26 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DoraL

I wasnt feeling Eric too much but I love him with the new haircut

June 26 2009 at 9:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MareBare

I liked the song playing at Merlotte's when everyone was dancing, "Keep This Party Going" by B-52's, was also the episode name. A lot of subtleties in this series... like the Forever 21. I also think that Bill will glamor the family. I would *love* it if Lafayette became a vampire, but I think it's too obvious and the series writers won't do it. I'm excited to find out one way or the other though!

June 25 2009 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
princess

I THINK JASON IS GOING TO HAVE TO CHOOSE WHO HE IS GOING TO KILL....BILL OR HIS SISTER, CUS WHERE HE IS THEY HATE VAMPS AND PEOPLE WHO LIKE THEM.
ALSO I WOULDN'T WANT TO MEET TARA IN A DARK ALLEY SHE HAS A UPPER BODY OF A FOOTBALL PLAYER, SHE LOOKS LIKE A MAN!!!!

June 24 2009 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Streetdoc

One more thing. I LOVE PAM. She is so decadent and beautiful. She adds alot of flavor and comedy to the episodes. (Pun totally intended!)

June 23 2009 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Streetdoc

I enjoyed the episode. Some thoughts on MaryAnne: did anyone happen to notice the language Maryanne was speaking when Sookie tried to read her thoughts. It sounded Aramaic to me. This language goes all the way back to Christ. Maryanne is the Devil!

Remember the season 1 episode when the rogue vampire made a reference to a female superior. He said, " who, Eric? He does not scare me. And if need be, I'll answer to her." (something along those lines). The female he referred to is MaryAnne.

Just my thoughts

June 23 2009 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Streetdoc's comment
Howard

SPOILER:!!!! More than likely he was referring to the Queen of Louisiana as she is the ultimate vampire authority in the state.

June 25 2009 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lesley

I must agree with some of the previous comments. I simply do not care for the Tara character and her story arcs. Last season, it was some ridiculous story about Tara's mother needing an exorcisim and now this season we have Tara, Eggs and Maryann. Michelle Forbes' character holds promise, but surely Rutina Wesley can get a better gig. Alan Ball has hit the mark with the other story lines, but I just don't care for the Tara character.

June 22 2009 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

Pretty good episode, but I'm tired of the Tara/Maryann/Eggs story. Move it forward or ditch it.

Sookie absolutely should move on to Eric. Bill refuses to admit what he really is and Sookie refuses to see that he will always be vampire when it comes down to it. His "humanity" is only in evidence when it suits him. Jessica has him nailed down.

June 22 2009 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GL's comment
mrfg

The only thing I fear the most is the pairing Sookie/"Anyone else besides Bill"... That includes Sookie/Eric and it would kill the show for me... I've already given up on the books and I really hope that True Blood won't follow them after season 2...

I think Bill will glamour Jessica's family (at least her Dad), but somewhere along the season they will show up again. And I doubt we will see Lafayette as a Vampire, but it would be funny though, wouldn't it?

And I agree that Tara/Eggs feels artificial, somehow.

June 22 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I really enjoy this show; I was wondering why you did not comment on it the first season. You can see it comming: Jason and Sarah Newlin doing what Jason loves to do. Also, the pure silver rings given out earlier at the retreat; It will save Jason's life.

June 22 2009 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply