September 23, 2014

Mr. Eko wants to return to Lost

by Mike Moody, posted Jun 23rd 2009 3:01PM
lost mr. eko Adewale Akinnuoye-AgbajeLike most fans of Lost, I was terribly disappointed when the smoke monster apparently killed Mr. Eko in season three. Eko was a great character who helped the equally great John Locke discover the possibilities of a life led by faith. Lost is still an amazing show, but I've really missed Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's presence.

Adewale, who will guest star in the Aug 7 episode of Monk and appears in the potential blockbuster G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, now says he wants to go back to the island. The actor says he left the show after his parents passed away in 2006, but he'd like to return to give Eko some real closure.

"To be able to give that rich character some completion would be nice," he told TV Guide while promoting the Monk ep.

I'd love to see Adewale return to Lost as Eko, even if it's just to play a short game of chess with Hurley. I'd wager most fans of the show would agree. Out of all the characters that've been killed off the show, Eko is probably one of the few that deserves to be resurrected.

[Via TV Guide]

dougislost

I think he could definately come back shortly for one episode where the origins of the smoke monster are explained and his death can be validated.

June 25 2009 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Although I did like Mr.Eko, he already went out with completion.

June 25 2009 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

Bring back Adewale, not as Eko, but as Simon Adebisi. Now that was a memorable character. Seriously though, would love to see him come back. Anything to take face time away from Sawyer, Kate or Jack. While I liked the characters, they seem to have become caricature of themselves.

June 24 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
literaryluv

Out of all the characters that've been killed off the show, CHARLIE is probably one of the few that deserves to be resurrected.

June 24 2009 at 8:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I could see Eko coming back for just one episode. Why not? He could return as Esau or the Smoke Monster* assuming Eko's image in order to trick or guide another character (Hurley would be the most likely person) to do something.

* - Of course, the Smoke Monster could be Esau (or vice versa).

June 24 2009 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Imp

I adored Eko - he and Hurley were my favorites for ages! He had such a cool story and I think he's a great actor and did a fantastic job on the show. I would love to see him back.

June 24 2009 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
taylor

Eko was my favorite character too but I don't want him back this close to the end of LOST. I read that Eko was supposed to be around for 4 seasons. Carlton and Damon had ideas for a long story arc for that character, but once Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje wanted to leave the show, they had to wrap up his story quickly and abandon the rest. Now, with only 17 hours left of LOST next season, I don't want to spend any of the precious remaining time on a character that already had a wrapped up ending. I would rather see other characters wrapped up instead.

June 23 2009 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StillBash

I can't believe that in 10 months Lost will be over... *sigh*

I don't care if he comes back or not, his story ended in a bang - bringing him back would do nothing. I think the Africa story is done. It's as if you'd bring back Nicky and Paulo. Both of these two stories were pretty final and it's the actor who wanted a limited stint on the show - I guess that is why Darlton wrote it kind of final the way they did it.

June 23 2009 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
izikavazo

I don't want to see him again. The actor screwed up the characters story and now has to live with it. It's unfortunate that he hasn't been able to have a great career since then, but he crawling back to Lost isn't going to help him there.
And let's face it, there's no room for the character in the show. We have enough mystics.

June 23 2009 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mb

That would be so cool. He was such an asset for the show even though was only on it a short time.

June 23 2009 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply