September 17, 2014

Visa commercial teaches bad parenting

by Michael Pascua, posted Jun 24th 2009 3:02PM
I watched that damn aquarium Visa commercial for months now and it finally dawned upon me what ticked me off about it. It's not the fact that the little girl has the freakiest of eyes, it's the fact that the father pulled his daughter out of school to go to the aquarium. Since I'm not a parent, I often forget that kids don't make their own schedules and are stuck in school from around eight to three.

I'm part of that school of thought that thinks every day at school is important. You never know when there is a pop quiz, an important study class, or even something that teaches your child social manners. Taking your child out teaches the kid that you're allowed to get away from school when you're not actually sick or have an appointment. Pulling your daughter out on a Tuesday is also bad because it throws off her attention for the rest of the week. She'll be thinking about the aquarium until Friday and not about her school work.

Clearly the daughter didn't look sick and the father was happy to take her. I'm just hoping that he talked to her teacher first so either the daughter has to write a small story or have a presentation about the aquarium or she has all the exact information that the rest of the class had.

I don't believe that the parent also brought his daughter to the aquarium in the afternoon as the song suggests either. Many aquariums close at five or six. The parent would have to pick up the kid at three and drive to the aquarium. By the time they get there, they only have an hour and a half left. At that point, they should have just gone to the IMAX movie.

I don't care what Morgan Freeman voices over or the trippy music of the Moody Blues playing in the background. Also, does this mean that Visa can only do rewards on Tuesdays? That doesn't influence me to become a member at all. Any parents out there please post your opinions about this commercial.

jay

Are you kidding? Can it be so foolish of dwelling on such unimportant things. There are alot of possibilities. Perhaps it is summer. Even if it is smack in the middle of January. Who cares? it is a bonding time between a parent and a child.Have you so much time in your life that you dwell upon the most unimportant issues?
Get a life, get a boyfriend,get a dog. But please get something because that is really pathetic!

July 09 2009 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B.T.

It's probably a good thing that you're not a parent because I would feel sorry for your children. Missing one day of school isn't going to ruin the success of a child for the rest of his life...even if he does miss something "important" that day. When I was younger, my parents would occassionally (that being the key word) take me out of school for things like this and I remember that far more than any algebra formula or english syntax I learned in school. They made it an educational experience but I was also spending quality time with them. So now, I'm not only successful in a business and financial sense, but I also realize the importance of my family and making time for my children. I strongly believe that it was those experiences that has made me a more well-rounded individual. Think about it.

July 08 2009 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki

Good grief, Michael. Taking the girl out of school to go to the aquarium is a huge assumption on your part. And her eyes aren't freaky at all. I think you should spend a little more time wondering why you feel this way about a commercial. Turn your TV off.

July 08 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

IT SAYS go..NOT90

July 08 2009 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

ARE YOU SERIOUS PEOPLE? WHERE DID IT SAY SHE MISSED SCHOOL? COME ON IT COULD HAVE BEEN ANYTIME...SPRING BREAK, MARDI GRAS,TEACHER'S DAY,OR MAYBE EVEN SUMMERTIME.POINT IS DAD TOOK A DAY OFF TO BE WITH HIS DAUGHTER.

July 08 2009 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Schwanzenneggar

The girl looks so retarded with here big fat head and gOOgly eyes...

July 05 2009 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sid

I think the music is irritating, mind-numbing, and repetitive. I don't care much about the Moody Blues, and I care even less about the proclivity to call something nice only because it's been around 40 years. I don't see the point of the ad either - the USP of a credit card is its convenience - don't try to sell me the idea that I can use it to "go explore". I am so irritated with the repetitive bars of the music in the ad, i change the TV channel each time the ad comes on. GRR.

July 01 2009 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dobbo

Michael - you are a terrifying jerk. the fact that this ad inspired such rage, and that you have the time on your hands for this...jeeeeezus, it really is sobering. never have kids douchebag. i fully expect to see your name and mugshot in relation to some kind of workplace shooting some day. dick

July 01 2009 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quang

' Visa commercial teaches bad parenting ' ?

June 30 2009 at 4:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

1. you're not a parent.
2. you put too much faith in the importance of schools. they've gone so far downhill in recent years, you'd learn more reading the back of a shampoo bottle while on the crapper.
3. hard enough to spend time with the kids on a weekend when they want to go out and play with the their friends, much less after school when they have to eat, do homework and go to bed.
4. In the US, 4 or 5 they would still be in kindergarten. Yes they need to keep structure to their week in preparation for school but it's inconsequential when you see the look on their face as they watch a dolphin dance, clap and shake their hand. Far more mind expanding in my opinion

June 29 2009 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply