August 1, 2014

Why did I waste an hour watching The Superstars last night? - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 24th 2009 8:02AM
The SuperstarsIt could have been worse. It was a 90-minute premiere.

There was a time when I would have watched a show like this, in the 70s or maybe the 80s, when real celebrities would be involved instead of reality show stars. They were fun shows. I watched the first 60 minutes of The Superstars and then sort of snapped out of it, thinking, why am I watching this? Nothing really happened, and I decided I wouldn't care at all if anything did happen. Who cares if Jennifer Capriati loses a bike race?

Wipeout is mindless entertainment. The Superstars is stupid entertainment.

Tom Anderton

Yeah, TO and Joanna were the reasons to keep watching. They're coming back tonight, maybe you'll find another reason:

June 30 2009 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

I loved it! I saw it more like a comedy - Robert Horry riding a bike made him look like a giant riding a tricycle. Watching Jeff Kent (and others) repeatedly capsize in their kayak - priceless.

Yes, it was cheesy/corny (complete with the play-by-play commentating) but it was so funny and thereby fun. A good show for the summer time, where there isn't much else happening.

June 25 2009 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I watched until I lost all respect for John Saunders ... about four minutes.

June 24 2009 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Adam

Yeah, they should have put Tirico or Van Pelt out there instead of one of their most credible reporters. After all ist Stu Scott on staff specifically on staff for shows like this.

June 24 2009 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guess Who

Not in HD? Why have a show about watching the pretty people in SD?

June 24 2009 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Guess Who's comment
RJ

Yeah I started watching it for a few minutes, then I couldn't take the non-HD anymore. Really? All these athletes and stars and you can't broadcast in HD?

June 24 2009 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

If you only watched an hour you probably missed Joanna Krupa completely destroying TO verbally. It was incredible. I'm sure he cryer all night after that tounge lashing. I've never been the biggest Joanna Krupa fan, but seeing her rip TO was the hottest thing I've seen in awhile. Definately made up the hour and twenty minutes that came before.

June 24 2009 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Adam's comment
Chris

Thats my teammate, its not fair!

June 24 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ivymm89

Too bad! You missed the best part! There is someone more of a sore loser and jerk the T.O. His partner made a complete a^* out of herself!

June 24 2009 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply