April 24, 2014

Busy night for network news: Michael Jackson tribute to air with a Farrah tribute

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 25th 2009 8:02PM
Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson... both of whom died today
Wow. Busy day in celebrity deaths. First we hear that Farrah Fawcett finally lost her battle to cancer, then suddenly we hear that, after being rushed to a LA hospital in cardiac arrest, Michael Jackson also died. He was only 50, and he was about to embark on a comeback concert stint in London that he hoped would revive his career.

ABC News was already scrambling to move up the Farrah special they had planned to air on 20/20 this coming Friday. That special, where Barbara Walters interviews Ryan O'Neal, will be shown tonight at 10 PM ET. They also just announced that they will be airing an MJ retrospective at 9 PM ET.

Other networks are following suit with their own specials, according to THR.com.

It's interesting how most news outlets aside from Fox didn't confirm MJ's death even though our friends at TMZ had the news first. I guess it wasn't legitimate enough for them. Either way, it's a shockingly sad day in the entertainment biz, no matter what you may have thought of Farrah or Jackson.

Jason

Gary you're an asshole.

June 28 2009 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

World lost a best pop singer, and I don't believe what media said about him before. It is all people talks. movers nyc

June 26 2009 at 11:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michael

Today we lost the greatest genius in this century

Having heard your passing away, I can't stop crying on this shocking news, I never thought you would go too soon, Michael,you have always been the most inspiring and respectful soul in my life, your amazing voice and incredible dance will forever be remembered by us, we will always be in the memorial of you-and you are such a legend who has completely changed the lives of millions and the music industry.
I want to say: I love you so so so so so so so so much.

Sincerely yours,
Michael Wang-always a fan of you

June 26 2009 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

Too bad when someone passes, we all pause for a moment of reflection on the person's life. I don't care a damn about that freak Jackson, I'm just glad he's not in my face any more. Good riddance to a publicity hound, talent-deprived nut who started as a black man and changed himself into a white woman! I'll remember him for 2 things: His jumping around as a little kid, a very poor impersonation of Sammy Davis Jr. in the 1933 movie "The Emporer Jones", and his trying to buy articles from Britain's National Trust, and for that, having his visa cancelled, laughed at and thrown out of that country. In a few days the news will fade, and in a few years, he'll be relgated to the status of a minor footnote of entertainment history. "Michael WHO?" Farah Fawcett, on the other hand, was a 100% class act: I'll rank her right alonside Jacqelinne Kennedy Onassis for grace, dignity, and style. Her I will miss! She was not the greatest of actresses, which she knew and accepted, and lived her private life with as little publicity as possible. She'll be remembered well and long, I'm sure.

June 26 2009 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gary's comment
NoneYa

Fuck you gary!! You don't appreciate history. Yeah i know MJ had his ups and downs but so do other people!! I bet You have them every day of the week! Your not the most perfect guy in this universe. You will never be. Nobody is ever going to replace Michael or Farrah!! EVER! Just leave MJ alone! He didn't do nothing to you. Damn What Does it take for people to stop talking about him. hes already gone.(saddness was all over the WORLD) I still say Fuck You!!

July 21 2009 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roy Schwartz

You can read more about the condition behind Michael Jackson's death here:

June 26 2009 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Howard

What was the address of this Bel Air mansion he was staying at? I was in Hollywood last year for the first time and was wondering if I drove by the place. It looked familiar but all those gates and walls start to look alike. Did he actually own it?

June 26 2009 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Howard

It was of course stunning to hear of Michael Jackson's death. There has been so much speculation for years that he was ill and even dying. I have never heard exactly why he was so ill for all this time. There have been many rumors, but what was the truth? He was clearly frail for years and in wheelchairs. We know he had lupus which made him sensitive to sunlight, but what else was wrong with him? Did he just die from starving himself for years? Did he imagine having a lot of illnesses and was just taking a lot of pills, which actually made him ill for real? I heard some lawyer on TV saying when the truth came out about all the pills he took, it would make ANS look tame.

June 26 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Blean

Truly shocking news! Michael Jackson is gone but his music will live on forever.

June 26 2009 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Legend10

It's so sad they both died. I am in complete shock about Michael Jackson, loved him. I remember his videos Billie Jean and Beat It on MTV and used to dance to them at disco's. So sad really. Farrah was a classy lady as well. Too much really. A day in history. May they both rest in peace. They will never be forgotten. May God bless both their families.

June 25 2009 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
just me

I hate to really even go here--- but aside from Fox? Fox was among the last to confirm the story on their website. TMZ reported it first. Then it was all over Twitter. LA Times followed suit some time thereafter. MSNBC, ABC News, and Fox picked up the story that something was happening. Fox, was among the last to confirm what happened, and for the longest time was running a story that Michael Jackson was in critical condition at the hospital even after MSNBC.com had reported the outcome.

I suspect the reason for the delay on ANY news site was that they were attempting to confirm the story. It really doesn't matter how long any news organization took to report the story, but I do get annoyed when the news is reported wrong.

June 25 2009 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply