April 20, 2014

Comcast changes ending to FIOS commercial (but it's easy to understand why)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 25th 2009 3:43PM
You've seen the commercial below. It's a Comcast ad that takes on Verizon FIOS by saying that FIOS costs more, doesn't have as much HD as Comcast, and is filled with too many lame videos.

Last night I watched the commercial again (for the 4000th time) and I noticed that they've changed the ending. The FIOS guy used to say "I'm going to write down your credit card number which I memorized when I was looking..." I always thought that was an odd line, pretty much insinuating that a Verizon rep would take someone's credit card number like that. But they've now taken that line out and replaced it with something else (though the new line escapes me at the moment - anyone?). I wonder if Verizon complained?

Leslie

I'm really happy with Fios. Why in the world anyone would entrust their phone service to Comcast is beyond me, unless they had no choice. The service is great, so much cheaper than Comcast we could afford their best package. The best part was being able to cancel Comcast after years of them being the only game in town.

July 03 2009 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

The "credit card line" is still there in the Boston area.

June 26 2009 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
denise

where i live comcast has the monopoly its either dial up or comcast , i was told baltimore city wont be seeing fios for a long long time of course verizon is in this area but its just phone service. i hate comcast the service is shoddy over priced and somedays we are offline more than on i also have the comcast digital voice once we had some issues and when i called to have a service tech visit i repeatly told the customer service rep that my digital voice wasnt working that i was calling from my cell phone the visit was scheduled for a week later i was told the rep would call before coming so make sure someone is home to answer the phone i said again the digital voice wasnt working so be sure to call the cell number well iwaite and waited all day and no tech came i called comast and asked what happened to my scheduled visit the woman said well the tech called and didnt get an answer so he went on to another call i asked what number they called and it was the damned home number i said i told them not to call since the internet, phone and tv were out my drop wire had fallen the really piss poor thing is i had to rescheduleanother visit which wasnt for another week and this meant no phone net or tv for another week because of the dummys at comcast

June 25 2009 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Speaking of Comcast, I'm surprised that TV Squad missed this story.

2 cable giants hope to discourage free online TV

June 25 2009 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EDWARD

As a FIOS rep here in the Seattle area...I think this commercial is a hoot. First off...we do not take your credit card for anything. Also, these commercials are beyond juveille. I love how Comcast harps on the fact that they are cheaper. That is correct, if you get the basic bundle of just local channels, 6MB internet & phone.
But the customer base FIOS is going after has HD and wants fast internet. Right now, FIOS has 75 HD channels on live with the HD package. Plus the internet is up to 25/15 with no stupid Powerboost like Comcast. It is always 25/15, right from the start.
Comcast has no where near 75 HD channels on their line up...plus if you add in all of the HBO, Cinemax, etc in HD on FIOS, your HD selection is almost 110 channels.

Comast is history.

June 25 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to EDWARD's comment
Willmore2000

Is it true that Verizon is selling FIOS in Washington to some local company?

June 25 2009 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Well at least you disclosed your bias.

June 26 2009 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply