October 31, 2014

Royal Pains: TB or not TB - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 26th 2009 10:27AM
In all of the massive Michael Jackson coverage, it was easy to forget that there was actually some new TV episodes on too. We had a new Burn Notice, and also a new episode of Royal Pains, the show that's actually a pleasant summer surprise. Here's the episode if you missed it. (Video also here.)

BA

interesting that dr's like the one in this show, "concierge doctors" are actually what is being blamed for mj's death. it's a poor show. about way to rich people when the rest of us can't afford food. spoiled whiney brats. and a dr. practicing bad medicine. maybe they should just do an episode where MJ is his client, he dies, dr goes to jail. done. life imitating art. really poor timing for "entertainment" about something new called "concierge doctors". bad idea in reality and bad idea for a tv show. and just a really poorly written show. and they call him "attractive" in the commercials. NOT sure that is exactly true. he's no Paul Newman... or even "Mr. Big", that's for sure. as a medical person, I am appalled at what happened to reality? is there a medical person on this show only showing safe medical practices? I don't think so. todays episode was about a guy who gets put under anesthesia at home. That is exactly what killed MJ. Not an entertaining byline, considering reality. can't stand the show. and hate the overwhelming amount of commercials.

August 16 2009 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnno

Normally, there is an inverse relationship between the repetition of the ads and the odds of me watching, but despite USA's overkill, I watched and enjoyed this (my first) episode. Evan is an incredible jerk of no redeeming social (or humorous) value, and could kill the show. Jill, as someone pointed out, lacks a certain chemistry; but worse, she would kill any plot line of Hank and the ladies of the Hamptons. I'd like to see the character of his "sponsor" developed; there's a real intruiging mystery there...and I like Ms Shetty, who should become even more interesting, and adds a real "visual appeal".

I, too, would like to know who played Allison Moore; at the moment, it is a well kept secret on the USA and other sites. She was great, and even in her comatose state, she was more exciting than Jill! :º) Looking forward to the summer restart of "Leverage" July 15th on TNT!

See you at the Maidstone....

June 29 2009 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

I've watched every episode of this show so far. I wanted to like it, but it's just not a good show. The dialogue is completely awful. The best parts of the show are when the dialogue is laughably bad. Also, I'm pretty sure they aired episodes out of order, which is always a stupid idea.

June 29 2009 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I too think this has been a great find.

June 28 2009 at 5:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

Really enjoy this show. BTW- Does anyone know the name of the actress who played Allison Moore on "Tb or Not Tb"?
Thank you to anyone who can answer my query.

June 27 2009 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ann's comment
foster harris

Her name is Callie Thorne. She's a regular on "Rescue Me" on FX.

July 04 2009 at 3:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

This show is pretty good. I like it for the most part. Divya and Evan scenes together this week were particularly good. I have no idea why the directors are keeping Jill on the show though. She is NOT a good actor and when she is in scenes with Hank, he looks like a pretty bad actor as well. Please remove her and save the show!!

June 27 2009 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Liz's comment
audrey

I completely agree that Jill sucks-cut her and the show would improve 100%. The scenes between she and Hank are unfortunate. Evan and Hank are great characters, but everytime she comes on screen I feel like changing the channel. I do wonder if they are going to run into problems coming up with new plotlines though-the premise seems a bit limiting...but it's a great summer distraction!

July 05 2009 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Royal Pains lacks conflict. without conflict there is no vested interest in the characters' fate.

June 27 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

I believe this was also the title of an episode of House.

June 26 2009 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian's comment
Jesse

It was. The episode with Ron Livingston where he was some kind of humanitarian doctor that worked in Africa.

June 29 2009 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

I agree with you. Royal Pains is a pleasant summer surprise. I'm enjoying it more and more each week.

June 26 2009 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply