April 24, 2014

Will winning I'm A Celebrity kill Lou Diamond Phillips' career?

by Michael Pascua, posted Jun 26th 2009 9:03AM
Lou Diamond Phillips gives up some of his dignity.All is well with the world: Lou Diamond Phillips won I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here! He's the only contestant out there that deserves to be called a "celebrity."

Why did Lou Diamond Philips pick a show that anyone could see was going to be a train wreck? Did he have 24 days off and say, "why not?" Or did he look at the list of celebrities and then agree? After watching the season, I still don't know who Torrie Wilson was, and she was the runner up.

Lou Diamond Phillips is a good actor. I loved him in La Bamba. I have CHE on my list of movies to watch. He may be a little aged now, but he still gets parts and plays them well. If he did the show for his charity (I love him for supporting Art has Heart), he probably agreed because he knew he had the most celebrity and probably was the most sane person out there.

I understand that most of Lou's work comes from the NBC/Universal umbrella. His last acting gigs were shows like Law & Order and stuff on SciFi. Was it that easy to call him up to go on an NBC show because of his connections? Why wasn't he picked for The Celebrity Apprentice then? Wasn't he on CBS's Numb3rs? He had a real career going before the show started.

Most celebrity reality television shows are a way for celebrities to quickly vault themselves back into the limelight. We normally see either former stars (usually falling under pop star, model, comedian, or child star) or reality stars (like Sanjaya and Speidi) trying to capitalize on their fifteen minutes. Lou Diamond Phillips didn't fall under those categories and I don't think he needed to vault himself, because he's still getting steady offers and spent the last year doing both movies and television.

If Lou Diamond Phillips had to be on reality television, why couldn't he be on Dancing with the Stars? The show has a higher caliber of celebrity (read: they'll never put Stephen Baldwin on) and the show leaves many celebrities in a positive fashion (Mario Lopez, Warren Sapp, Marissa Jaret Winokur, and Melissa Rycroft all got some sort of hosting position; Gilles Marini is slated to be on Brothers & Sisters and Nip/Tuck). The show has grabbed several ailing celebrities that were in their peak in the 80s (Steve Guttenberg) and 90s (Tia Carrere) so there should have been no problem for Lou to be in the pool. His positive nature, decent fan base, and can-do attitude would have served him well. Let's hope that he may be on in the future still.

In the end, will winning (or just being on) I'm a Celebrity hurt Lou's career? As much as I'd like to say yes, it's all up to Lou. I'm hoping that since he won, Lou could use the momentum to get onto some project that would boost his career even more. Kathy Griffin did it after winning Celebrity Mole: Hawaii. On the flip side, I haven't heard much from the casts of Celebrity Apprentice. What will happen to Lou Diamond Phillips career now? Post your comments below.

joshed

Wow you are kind of retarded. Lou has been cast as a series REGULAR in the new Stargate: Universe. I think his career is very much alive and kicking.

June 28 2009 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to joshed's comment
Michael Pascua

Two things: the link to the word SciFi was to Stargate Universe and he's still under "unknown status" on whether or not he's a regular. As a Colonel, I hope so.

But also, is going to SciFi a smart move? If he can still get roles after Stargate and accept the fact that he will probably have to do a few Comic Cons, then yeah; he'll be fine.

June 28 2009 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moviefam

I enjoyed the show. It was a guilty pleasure and pure escapism. Yes, I am a mom of two and college graduate! Thought the Baldwins were fun, Speidi and Janice Dickinson-they were trainwrecks!!!! I enjoyed John Salley too.
I do agree that Lou Diamond Phillips is a great actor.
I really fell in love with how kind and grounded an individual he was on the show. Not knowing that much about him before, it made me want to see more of him.
He has a great personality. Anyone who watched the show would probably become a greater fan of his.
It will not hurt is career. I just do not think he takes himself too seriously. New Lou Diamond Fan!
My boys and husband love the Young Guns films!
I look forward to more good movies from him.
Movie Executives--are you listening?????

June 26 2009 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to moviefam's comment
Bobby

I think Lou is the type of guy who thought this would be fun and challenging... not so much with Dancing w/yhe Stars or Celebrity Apprentice. This one took real physical and mental challenges. I think he'll at least have the career he came on the show with if not a renewed interest from producers. Good Luck Lou!

June 27 2009 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Does Lou Diamond Phillips still have a career?

June 26 2009 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

Lou has been cast in the new Stargate show

June 26 2009 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

LDP has a career?

June 26 2009 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gig's comment
e

Lou Dimond who? Wah? Was he the one who went out with Julia Roberts before she married a camera guy? That must have been a great relationship rebound for the camera guy. I'm sure all cameramen think of him as a God. Wait wasn't they guy who got Julia before the Camera God named Benjamin Bratt? I suppose LDP afficionados are just BB wanna bs. But that would be giving them too much credit. Well, there are worse things in life than being an LDP fan, you could be a crack addict.

June 26 2009 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lillie chaos

Geez, give the show a break....I find Stephen Baldwin entertaining....he and his brother are a hoot just to watch in general---they are like the guys next door. Heidi's sister was good too...I would like to see more of her. The hairy kid...well, not my style but I liked the ball player.... I guess names have escaped me because I did not recognize anyone else but the show was pretty good in general. Sometimes gross but better to watch than all the sex and violence that was on the other channels at the time. Lou is aces with me and I liked the show, sort of.

June 26 2009 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SadOldMan

Did anyone hear how much each charity is actually getting, and how much of that came out of NBC's pockets?

June 26 2009 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clinton

I think if your a real actor and you do one of these shows, the only way to get in and out is to play fair, don't look crazy and WIN.

June 26 2009 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han Solo

He is always welcome back to Numb3rs....his re-occurring character is awesome on there.

June 26 2009 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jean frank

Adore Lou! Did you see him on Pysch? Awesome! He was a great foil for two leads who are comedy magic. Does it matter if Lou did it for the challenge, the money for charity? For me, he did not hurt himself. He can do it all and still be Lou! Vive Lou Bamba.

June 26 2009 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply