November 26, 2014

Billy Mays dead at 50

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 28th 2009 12:50PM
Billy MaysFamous (and loud) TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead in his Florida home today. He was 50.

There's no cause of death yet (an autopsy will be performed tomorrow), but Mays was one of the passengers on a US Airways flight that had a bumpy landing in Tampa, FL yesterday.

I think most people would agree that this been a remarkably strange week for celebrity deaths. Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, then Michael Jackson. We thought those three celebs would be enough for one week (and celebrity deaths often come in threes, as the common wisdom goes). And now we have a guy who is still on our TVs all the time. It's not like he was old or he had retired or he wasn't doing much in public anymore. Commercials with May run all day long, every day. I saw several last night. He also has a weekly show with Anthony Sullivan on Discovery called Pitchmen. The pair were also on Conan's show last week. Video of that appearance is after the jump.

Carlos

yea.. he was really kinda annnoying and loud but he was a good person...? R.I.P

July 01 2009 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donald R. Mack

6-30-2009 @ 3:29AM

Ray said... (in part):
You will be missed, no one will ever fill your shoes in TV land.
---------------------------------------------------
I hope no one ever does fill his shoes in TV land. He was very annoying. He was so loud and obnoxious that even deaf people could hear him. Good riddance, Billy.

June 30 2009 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donald R. Mack

I can't see how anyone could have enjoyed his commercials unless you're a total idiot. I don't particularly enjoy having someone yelling at me, so I certainly will not miss Billy Mays at all. Won't have to use the mute button as often either.
The cause of death was an enlarged heart.

June 30 2009 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

The autopsy report says there was no sign of head trauma, It also said his left ventricle was enlarged, thus the heart disease.

His wife did not try to resusitate him because when she went up to awaken him, she found his body was cold.

June 30 2009 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed Callicotte

What's going on here? As soon as the story about Billy Mays broke, a Flight Attendent on the airplane said he didn't have his selt-belt on when the plane landed..which would have caused him to bounce all over the place! Is this being hushed up?

June 30 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

REALLY SAD HE'LL BE MISSED,,IT WAS A SHAME LISTENING TO THE 911 CALL FROM HIS WIFE,,WHEN THE 911 OPERATOR ASKED BILL MAYS WIFE TO TRY TO REVIVE HIM, SHE FLAT OUT SAID SHE WASN'T GOING TO,,,,,,SHAME ON HER,,IT SOUNDED LIKE THERE WAS ANOTHER PERSON IN THE BACK GROUND, SOUNDED LIKE A MANS VOICE,,,,YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT HITTING IS HEAD DIDN'T CAUSE A CHAIN REACTION,,A HIT ON THE HEAD WILL CAUSE A HEART TO OVER PUMP,,,THIS IS WHY , ONCE A GENERATION BECOMES NEW TO THE WORK FORCE, IT'S KNOW AS A GENERATION THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE EXPERANCE,,,

June 30 2009 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JO

I HOPE WHEN IT'S MY TIME I'LL GO FAST LIKE THAT AND NOT SUFFER. IT IS A SHOCK TO OUR LOVED ONES ESPECIALLY. BUT I THINK IT IS IDEAl for the person THAT DIES. I LIKE THE OLD SAYING LIVE EACH DAY LIKE IT'S YOUR LAST. MY CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY.

June 30 2009 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rabalac7

As a rule I am not into celebrities & TV personalities, but there was something wholesome and exciting about Billy Mays, he was a likable guy! Sorry he had to go so young!

June 30 2009 at 6:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ray

RIP BILLY,
I just wanted to voice what a lot of guys might not want to admit: Billy's full head of hair,thick beard, and booming voice, along with an endearing tough guy manner made a lot of us watch those ads with a bit of sideways jealousy, especially as our wives and girlfriends
obviously enjoyed the pitches and bought his stuff.
With a lot of others, my sorrow to his wife and daughter.
You will be missed, no one will ever fill your shoes in TV land.

June 30 2009 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maryann

To Billy and his family, our deepest sympathy!
He was an icon in his field. His face was so
recognizable and he did his work well. I, too,
feel a special sorrow with his passing. God
bless you in heaven and help the pain of
those you left behind