August 29, 2014

Why hasn't John Hodgman scored his own show?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Jun 28th 2009 11:29AM
humorist John Hodgman, author of Uber-humorist John Hodgman has a wit that hasn't been seen since the likes of Robert Benchley. His uncanny ability to turn his know-it-all prowess and droll delivery into brilliant comedy deserves scientific study.

I'm not saying he needs a complete autopsy. Maybe just a little exploratory brain surgery that doesn't do any permanent damage to the neurons and synapses that allow him to conjure long lists of hobo names and an incredibly detailed history of the American lobster. Trust me, there is a hilarious global warming cure in that noggin somewhere.

So after watching his brilliant and funny performance at the White House Radio and Television Correspondence Dinner (Speaking of which, didn't we just have one? How many of these damn dinners do they need? Are television reporters experiencing a major shortage of grilled chicken?), a lingering but obvious thought occurred. Why does this man not have his own television show?

He's already made his presence known on the tube from his funny performance of a constantly flustered PC in Apple's commercials with actor Justin Long. He's become as popular, if not more so, than Lewis Black with his resident expert segments on The Daily Show. His recent speech before President Barack Obama on how the White House's effort to heal the nerd vs. jock rift has prevented the Food and Drug Administration from listing C-Span as a clinically approved sleep aid.

Maybe part of his charm and wit comes from the fact that he doesn't turn the spotlight on himself every chance he gets. Part of the fun of watching him is the anticipation of his appearances. He lingers in the back of your mind after every appearance he makes and reappears when you least expect him, making him that much funnier on his subsequent appearances. I believe this is called the "Stephen Baldwin Theory of Attraction."

Still, a show centered around Hodgman's unique sense of humor and observations would be a welcome addition to my TiVo (as soon as I get an upgraded model running again, long story that would break your tiny little hearts). He's destined to become another name on a long list of break-out shows that started on The Daily Show. It's the one thing that nerds and jocks can agree on.

scott

is that crabman's ball of rubberbands he's tossing in the air?

June 29 2009 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roo766

In the picture with the article, he looks like the American "Doctor Who." Next on SyFy "Doctor Whom"

June 28 2009 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pingles

Perhaps it is part of his contract with Apple.

June 28 2009 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Because he's much better in small doses. I tried listening to his audiobook, read by the author. After about 45 minutes, I was ready to scream and throw my iPod away. I think he's a very funny guy, and I like all his appearances. He had a great speech at that dinner, and he did a nice job with Keith Olbermann a few days later. But some things are better in small doses. Even a half-hour a week would be too much for me.

June 28 2009 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Deezul

I tried watching a video podcast of an interview with him on Boing Boing, but he just comes off as weird. If he were not already "famous" for the Daily Show and the Apple commercials, he comes off as a bit of a douche. His humors seems too much like, "This is funny, because it's NOT lowbrow, shot to the nuts, funny. It requires you to THINK about why it is funny." Too cerebral for me, and most of the American public.

June 29 2009 at 6:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Davis

Why hasn't he been given a show?

Easy.

99.999% of programming is either reality twaddle or police procedural/medical drama/braindead sitcoms.

He's too dry & cerebral for most.

Personally, he would be the anchor on my perfect network (with lots of Conchords, Pushing Daisies & Venture Bros.) but I'm obviously not the sexiest demographic.

But a guy can dream...

June 28 2009 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike Davis's comment
Monkeydog

It's funny your network involves two shows Hodgman has/will work on.

Can't wait to see who he plays in The Venture Bros.

June 28 2009 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply