April 23, 2014

True Blood: Scratches

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jun 29th 2009 3:55AM
Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer in True Blood - Scratches

(S02E03) "He can do it. I'm wearin' my favorite pumps." - Pam to Eric, when he asked her and Chow to go troll the woods for the bull-creature

I could hear Lou Grant in my head during this episode of True Blood, saying "Sookie, you've got spunk." Only instead of hating Sookie's spunk, I'm loving it. I'd like to have just half the spunk Sookie's got. Last season, she not only buried her grandma and cleaned up all that blood in her kitchen, but she has no problem getting out of a car after fighting with Bill and stomping off into the night, knowing there are weird creatures out there. Ok, maybe not the smartest move on her part, but it did lead to good results for Lafayette.

Those were some serious scratches Sookie had after the bull creature attacked her. I hope True Blood gets an Emmy nod for makeup, because they really do a good job with the blood and guts, not to mention mouth-foaming on Sookie's part in this episode.

So we now know that Bill glamoured Jessica's family after the end credits rolled last week. I'm guessing that means they have no recollection of the incident with Jessica, Sookie and Bill, right? Nor do they realize that their daughter is a vampire. Not sure if that means anything at this point; just an observation.

Looks like Daphne and Sam are starting up something, but I did not see that coming when she took off her shirt to jump into the lake with him and revealed those scars on her back. What's it all mean? Well, when Dr. Ludwig was fixing Sookie up, she mentioned something about this creature being similar to a Komodo dragon, and its bite allowing it to track its prey. But could the prey actually turn into the creature? I'm wondering if that's the case with Daphne. Or maybe Sam will have to save her from the creature.

Maybe Tara is starting to wise up about Maryann. Maybe Sam's warnings are getting through to her. I was cheering when Tara walked out of the party after seeing everyone acting so loopy and the girl coming on to Eggs in the pool. By the way, I was trying to remember where I'd seen Mehcad Brooks before, and he played Matthew Applewhite on Desperate Housewives.

Ok, what is up with Maryann's pig? Is it a shapeshifter? A spirit? The secret to Maryann's powers? When Andy Bellefleur looked away and back again, the pig had vanished. Maybe Maryann is able to make things disappear. And what a liar she is, telling Tara she barely knows Sam and if she had to guess, she'd say he's jealous and looking for someone to blame for him losing Tara.

Well, at least we got Lafayette out of the basement! And he's not a vampire, so there's that, good or bad. I think he'd make a really fun vampire, though, so here's hoping they go down that road eventually. And as Mike Rogus mentioned in the comments a couple weeks ago, Eric explained to Bil and Sookie about Lafayette being chained up in the basement: "He traded sexual services with a vampire in order to sell his blood, which you know is a grave offense." And then Sookie slaps him - go girl! Only now she and Bill are headed for Dallas to find a missing vampire in exchange for Lafayette's release. She's got spunk.

As for Jason's situation, Steve and Sarah Newlin are extra- creepy with their yuppie persona and sweaters draped over their shoulders. Really, they're creepier than the vampires and other creatures who roam the bayou. It'll be interesting to see how things develop with Jason and Sarah. And I appreciated seeing more of Stephen Root as Eddie invading Jason's nightmares. He's such a great character, and I'm sorry Amy killed him off last season.

Other points of interest:

• Maryann told her cook that a dish needed more juniper. According to Wikipedia, juniper is best known for flavoring gin, and it's also used in many culinary dishes and as flavoring in Jenever and sahti-style of beers.
  • I really love the music in True Blood. The official site carries a listing of songs in each episode, but they haven't posted the songs for this episode yet. Anyone know who did the last song over the end credits?
  • Maryann certainly knows her way around a bag of pot and a pack of papers. That was some serious joint she rolled.
  • Terry calling Sam a chicken and accusing him of running ... What did I miss here? What, specifically, was he insinuating that Sam was running from?
  • Jessica and Hoyt ... you pretty much knew where that was headed, especially after he said he wanted to wait.I'm really loving the character of Jessica. She's a live wire and a loose cannon. And yes, I loved her impersonation of Bill in last week's episode - spot on. Thanks for mentioning that in the comments, guys!

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this episode.

Ivritman

If Jason does not bang Sarah, he likes guys.

July 16 2009 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

I think I figured out who Maryann is supposed to be -- the goddess Circe from the Odyssey, who turned Odysseus' men into swine. She was supposed to live in a large house in a clearing surrounded by woods and offered great quantities of food and drink to her guests--before she turned them into animals. This could also explain why she is able to shift Sam into dog form. Circe claimed she was only returning men to their true form. Anyway, I love this show because it combines so many elements--romance, the supernatural, religion, prejudice, mythology, and great Southern Gothic settings.

July 09 2009 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nancy's comment
Crystal

You're right Nancy. Maryann appears to be Circe. Most notably, Circe turned Odysseus' crew into swine, but she had the power to concoct potions and cast spells to turn humans into any animal, which we saw when she forced Sam to shape shift against his will. Inviting her victims to a sumptuous feast to dispense her "Circean poison" is her classic trap. They're giving us mixed clues though, because the goddess statuette on her coffee table is very definitely pre-dynastic Egyptian, not Minoan as Karl stated. It's the goddess Nathor or Nuit. Mary Ann also has a mural of Pan, the debauched, supernaturally endowed satyr, on her pool house wall. The thing that attacked Sookie in the woods was a Minotaur, like the monster that stalked the Knossos labyrinth, a Minotaur with a feminine silhouette. I haven't got a clue watch the Komodo dragon like scratches refer to, but I'm doing more research. I don't think it's a coincidence that after Mary Ann failed trying to lure Sam back into her fold, Daphne appears at the dock to seduce him. If you watch again, you'll notice that Sam's doggy pal barks a nervous warning across the pond, and runs away, just before Daphne appears on the dock.

July 12 2009 at 9:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I find Sarah more legit in her beliefs than her husband - who comes across as a televangelist who likes the money. So, I like Sarah. I am loving Jessica, no only is she gorgeous, she is funny.

With scenes of Maryann and her home, I think of her as the devil and her home as hell. Eat all you want, the drinking and drugs, the sex - everything is excessive. Like a seven deadly sins theme park.

I am in love with Eric. I'm glad Lafayette is back in the mix. I can see how Sookie is so tightly wound. When she thinks she has things figured out and thinks she has control, she finds out she doesn't - that would make me pretty high strung as well.

I can't wait to see the outcome of Tara and getting away from Maryann.

I too wasn't expecting to see the scratches on the waitresses back. The Doc said Sookie would die from the poision, but the waitress didn't? Has she been marked?

I love this show - I just started listen to book one of the series. I'm behind the times, I guess.

July 06 2009 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DoraL

Eggs is a little boring, he should be ditched, for the rest of the show, its always so exciting & intense
Sookie & Bill chemistry is off the hook right now, they must be really crazy about each other in real life
i love how dumb Jason is & he looks amazing, the church crowd is wayyy creepy
there is a lot of wired tension between Eric & Sookie, there could be something after a while

July 05 2009 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
burl

Still difficult to get over how no one has a problem with having sex with Vampires, outside of the silly little "me protest too much" remarks here and there. I like this take-

July 03 2009 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alison

Wow, Sookie sure is brave! Getting out of the car when Bill was yelling at her. If I were her and I saw that bull creature thing standing down the road I would have started screaming then not when it scratched me. If she just screamed a little sooner Bill would have heard her and scared that thing away.
So far season 2 is doing great!

July 02 2009 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cyn

I agree, Sookie is a little too hot headed and impulsive for me. Who would get out of a car and walk in that gloom and darkness?
If Maryann is the Maenad, then what about the scratches on the new girl's back? What is she? Predator or prey?
I love the scenes with Eric, Pam, and Chow. The dialogue is witty and fun.
Eggs and Tara is a snooze. I like her character and spunk.
Good show this week.

July 01 2009 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L

Spoilers for the book...

The dead body was supposed to be lafayette in the beginning

Eggs and Tara are engaged

The maenad in the book is similar to Maryann - she ends up killing all the people who were responsible for a murder. In the book she and sam have a fling.

Sookie and Bill travel to Texas to help investigate with the 'church of the light' which convinces a vampire to commit suicide publicly in the sunlight. Sookie for a third time gets the pulp beaten out of her. But in the meantime she finds another telepath, meets werewolves, o and Eric saves her life.

July 01 2009 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dmpbabe

What about the interaction with Eric and Pam. That was wonderful! Being a fan of the books, I was worried about the choice for Eric, because he is my favorite character. Now I know they absolutly made the right choice!!

July 01 2009 at 4:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I love it all!

Lafayette, again some great dialogue from him. I want him to stick around for many seasons to come.

Jason, is a nitwit but I loved him praying in bed and the other guy throwing a pillow at him and telling him to shut up.

I am loving Jessica. I am starting to like her more than Sookie. Sookie always seems to be outraged by something!

I believe Terry just understood that Sam had been moody the last couple of days and now he has packed up his house and is leaving. Although Terry has severe PTSD, he still saw through what Sam was doing and called him the coward that he is. The reference to the foxhole was that Sam was leaving when his friends needed him most. Instead he was cutting and running.

June 30 2009 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply