December 17, 2014

FX sets premieres for Sons of Anarchy, Always Sunny, and Nip/Tuck

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 30th 2009 5:12PM

(L-R): Maggie Siff, Katey Sagal, and Charlie Hunnam in a scene from 'Sons of Anarchy.'FX announced their fall premiere dates today and it turns out that they've got quite the schedule lined up for the autumn months.

With Rescue Me set to end it's 22 episode fifth season on Tuesday, September 1st, it comes as no surprise that Sons of Anarchy has been scheduled to fill the Tuesday 10PM ET time-slot starting the very next week on September 8th. The motorcycle drama's sophomore season is generating a lot of buzz ever since the announcement of Henry Rollins and Adam Arkin joining the cast.

But wait - there's more!

The following week on September 17th, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia returns to its normal Thursday 10PM ET time-slot for its fifth season. According to IGN, plots this season will tackle everything from the country's economic crisis to Ponzi schemes.

Additionally, with Testees dead (did anyone think that show would last?), FX also announced that an untitled comedy series will be launched to be paired with It's Always Sunny. While the official release doesn't verify it, I would assume this means that Sunny will follow the same pattern as last year - the first few weeks will be double episodes to be followed by back-to-back pairings with the new comedy once it premieres. Whatever it is, I'm sure it can't possibly be as bad as Testees was.

Perhaps the biggest surprise, though, was the announcement that Nip/Tuck will be back for its penultimate season in October. Many expected it to be paired again with Damages come January, but I've gotta say that his makes a lot more sense. FX has the episodes (the drama recently wrapped production), so why hold off longer than you have to? No exact date for the return was given, but with Sons of Anarchy still on Tuesdays in October, I'd bet to see Nip/Tuck bow on either Wednesday, October 14th or 21st. Either date would have the 10 episode season ending right before the Christmas holiday. Assuming FX picks it up for a series order, maybe this means we'll see the untitled Timothy Olyphant project come early 2010 instead?

L Hltgen

I need info on the following:
Programming schedule for "Sons of Anarchy":

Oklahoma:
*New season starts: Tuesdays - Sept 8, 2009
*Ch 35(FX)
*Time(cst)_____?

Please advise, thank you

September 07 2009 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tony

Testees as funny as Sunny? ummmm no. It was horrible. Hence why it is no longer on the schedule. Anything Norm does is great but I haven't heard a thing about it. Actually I haven't heard much about any pilots other than the Olyphant project. I think paired up with Damages it would work but I think F/x needs a stronger show to pick up for Damages lack of ratings and to help promote this new show. I think they might put something else in the spring as well as their schedule is much heavier in the fall. My guess though is that this is the way they are going:

SOA-Sept-Nov
ASIP-Sept-Oct
Untitled Comedy-Oct-Nov
Nip Tuck- Oct-Dec
Damages-Jan-Mar
Olyphant Drama-Feb-Apr
Rescue Me- May-Aug (16 episode pick up already)

July 01 2009 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Any word on Boldly Going Nowhere? I know that Fox has ordered 6 episodes, but has not been scheduled as of yet.

July 01 2009 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meeno01

I cant wait for sunny! me and my friends have a drinking game whenever we watch. you take a shot if:

Mac mentions being a tough guy or does "martial arts"
Charlie screams or sings
Dennis does or says something kinda gay
Dee gets her self esteem lowered by one of the gang
Frank takes out his gun

Needless to say, you get faced pretty quick!

July 01 2009 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to meeno01's comment
Martin

The fact that you are still alive and have even a little bit of mental functioning left after playing that game is a testament to your metabolism!!!

July 01 2009 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

i had my doubts about testees, but it really grew on me. i thought it went perfect with sunny.

June 30 2009 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jared

The show that will come on after Sunny is going to be "The Norm MacDonald Reality Show".

I guess FX isn't ready to come out and announce it just yet.

June 30 2009 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mac

I thought Testees was just as funny as Sunny!

June 30 2009 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply