April 24, 2014

America's Got Talent turns Chicken Catcher into a Boyle

by John Scott Lewinski, posted Jul 2nd 2009 5:30PM
The Chicken Catcher sang his way into U.S. hearts on America's Got Talent.The overnight popularity of singing sensation Susan Boyle following her appearance on Britain's Got Talent all but guaranteed it'd only be a matter of time before the U.S. version of the show tried to manufacture the same energy.

Here are the necessary ingredients:

• One national talent show where Joe Six Pack and Suzy Temp can reach for the polished brass ring of stardom.
  • One cynical mob eager to tear down anyone who dares to stand up out of the crowd without meeting nebulous performance standards.
  • One defective rube (either chubby, ugly, stupid or -- worst of all -- rural) who seems oblivious to the mob's hostility.
  • Three judges who are in on the bit while acting incredulous.

Of course, the rube needs to have genuine talent -- as in the case of Boyle and singer Kevin Skinner from Kentucky from this week's auditions on America's Got Talent.

As the Boyle recipe decrees, after the mob joins the judges in a pitying chuckle at the hick's delusions, the singer should settle in and moisten eyes around the theater with a heartfelt serenade. That's exactly what Skinner did to advance to the next round of performances. He hasn't erupted with Boyle-ish popularity yet, but maybe he's not pathetic enough. Give him one more performance and let the mob patronize him a bit more. He'll catch on.

Of course, Skinner has one advantage over Boyle: He's a chicken catcher. Since no one knows what that is and can imagine how humiliating a workday it must provide, that's the cherry on this "rube becomes famous sundae."

Stacy

Hey bigdood. Isn't it just amazing how these
"educated idiots" think or NOT THINK. I guess they believe that chickens just fall out of the sky into an automatic chute on KFC roof where they are defeathered, gutted and cut
before falling into the vat of boiling grease at the end of the chute. They THINK that Kevin is a country hillbilly from Western Ky? I wonder what they would think about a country
boy from the mountains of Eastern Ky?
Ky Gal

September 09 2009 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigdood

Hillbilly? Hell, I am from Paducah, about 30 miles from Mayfield, where Kevin Skinner lives.... there isn't a "hill" within 10 miles of Mayfield... and the Tyson Chicken Plant is just about the largest employer left in Mayfield after the General Tire plant went defunct due to the auto industry collapse. So.... don't crack jokes about chicken catchers unless YOU want to catch your own freakin' chickens before enjoying them at KFC! :-)

September 07 2009 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I have not see skinner on the show. I was truly taken by his voice. What happened to him. He outshown every one else on the show. I really do not even want to watch it any more. I keep looking for him.... any one know?

August 21 2009 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda & Jake

First of all Kevin Skinner has true talent and is nothing less than a great guy. He is honest, talented, country, and extremely nice. We do know him personally and the only person who should be humiliated is the person who wrote the blog, for a couple of reasons: first of all, for not showing support for someone so talented and second, for not knowing what a chicken catcher is. Also in this area that is a common and fairly good job so next time you fry some chicken, just stop and think, a chicken catcher caught that chicken.

August 20 2009 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GreRee

A "chicken catcher" is just what it says. Farmers raise chickens, then sell them to chicken processing companies, like Tyson. The chicken processing companies hire crews of men to go to the farms and load the chickens onto trucks for shipment back to the chicken plants. Skinner worked on one of those teams.

July 13 2009 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Unknownloser

It is sad how the non-overachievers of the world are considered to be low life losers. Not everyone can run an Internet blog, or be a doctor. I did not like how the judges, one who is a known drunken idiot, another who is addicted to cosmetic surgery, were making fun of him before he started singing.

July 06 2009 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katelyn

Kevin is a nice wholesome country boy, and has a phenomenal voice.

Kevin, make Kentucky proud, and make America proud! I am already proud of you. You are, as Sharon said, a genuine person. The judges are right about you! Best of luck!! You are loved!!

July 05 2009 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Katelyn's comment
Morgan

I think that someone should snap up Kevin Skinner now.
He is GREAT. I am originally from Ky. and I think David and Pers should apologize to Kevin and stop the chicken bs. Not all Kentuckians are hillbillies - there are many sincere and intelligent and honest people from there.

August 12 2009 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adairva

It is not everyday that we get a chance to witness such purity. This young man is truly blessed and will continue to be, I feel sure, as we are to be touched by such an emotional, almost spiritual orchestration. His gift is not only an incredible guitar skill but a clear voice that is a perfect conduit which transcends all barriers.

July 04 2009 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to adairva's comment
Mia

I am ashamed for having judged Kevin, prematurely. At first, I was embarrassed by him since I am a Kentuckian. However, I now know that I, once again, learned that it is wrong to judge people by appearances. After having finished his song, I had the same opinion as Sharon, and the rest of the judges. Incidentally, Kevin IS cute!

Kevin showed that he is such a sweet person, and it brought tears to my eyes when he won, and to have seen the audience in awe. Think about it...we ALL have accents, right? In Covington, Kentucky the accent people have there sounds as if they are from New Jersey, and 40 miles from there, it's a strong "Southern" accent. I am through judging people by their appearances and accents.

I am deeply ashamed of myself, as well I should be, and everyone else who was as judgemental as I.

Good luck, Kevin!! Your talent is awesome!

July 05 2009 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob K.

#1 Show - Americas Got Talent
#2 Show - Idol
#3 Show - Dancing with the Stars
#4 Show - So You Think You Can Dance
#5 Show - American Chooper

July 04 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yurp

CHICKEN CHASER

July 04 2009 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Yurp's comment
writealleen

If you are trying to be funny, you are failing, miserably.

July 11 2009 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply