October 24, 2014

The Fashion Show: It's in the Cards - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 2nd 2009 8:05AM
The Fashion ShowI figure that since Bravo was nice enough to air a new episode of The Fashion Show on last night ticked off Top Chef Masters fans by airing a new episode of The Fashion Show instead that we should talk about the show a bit. Who is watching this? Is it the poor man's Project Runway (coming soon to Lifetime), or does it have its own good points?

Muhammad Zahid

They have expression, modesty and simplicity
I wish i had invented blue jeans.

Regards,
Muhammad Zahid-22058

June 12 2011 at 8:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

cdawg, you are not alone...I loved Merlin's jacket. If he hadn't poodle-ized the knees of the pants, I think it would have been fabulous. Loved the inner jacket too. I thought the details were wonderful. He also heeded the Tarot card like most of the others did not. I think JP puts a hot mess out every time and have no idea why he is still there.

July 02 2009 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

Yeah the Fashion Show isn't as good as PR, but it's been nice filler until the REAL PR comes back.

The thing is though, the talent they got - they did invite some "designers" who cant sew - and that just makes no sense to me. Hell I'll draw a suit on the back of my napkin, but designer I am not.

Anyways, I think Danielle and Anna have the best shot at winning. I loved Anna's dress last night; but have thought Danielle is the most consistent. Reco is good enough, but I hate his attitude. Johnny's dress last night was absolutely fabulous by the way, even though he really isn't that good usually.

July 02 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cdawg's comment
cdawg

btw am I the only one who really liked Merlin's jacket?
I also dug the sweatpants idea (but not the knees), even though I agreed that it was too "juniors"

July 02 2009 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BOB O\'SULLIVAN

THE FASHION SHOW is BRAVO's tantram against PROJECT RUNWAY going - it's like being dumped by someone hot and facing rejection, you latch onto the nearest thing (anything) at hand and it happens to be a low rent clone of the relationship you just had. TFS is poorly constructed, paced, edited, the hosts have zero chesmistry and I still don't understand how Kelly Rowland got the job...but, TFS does have some good points - the actual fashion show of the series is actually more interesting than PROJECT RUNWAY's judges only runway show and it is fun watching the wreck both in front of the camera and behind the scenes. This is TV EMBRYO it's still forming...but will it get another season? As is, never, but with some work it's got a chance (still doesn't excuse putting off TOP CHEF though - mistake).

July 02 2009 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJ

I watch the show. Its not even close to being as good a project runway but I still enjoy seeing the finished designs on the runway. Plus I know Daniella and its fascinating to watch her on TV. And yes she is a total b*tch in real life.

July 02 2009 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJ

I watch it. I loved Project Runway and this show doesnt quiet live up to Project Runway but I do like seeing the finished projects on the runway. Plus I know daniella. yes she is a b*tch in real life. A major b*tch. In fact I cant stand her in person. but I enjoy watching her on the show. its interesting

July 02 2009 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jffm

It's like a second (or third) string Project Runway.

Mizrahi just doesn't have 'telepresence' and the lines they have him delivering are sad. Last night he stands there and gasps, "Ohhh, there's *six* of you!" Uh, yeah. This is some how surprising to him? His co-host is inoffensive enough, but that's not saying much. Heidi Klum brings personality, Kelly takes up space.

The contestants are, again, second string. Not completely lacking in talent, but never coming close to blowing you away. Personalitywise they fill-in the various pigeonholes, but in a tepid way. Santino would have them all hiding under bolts of fabric inside of five minutes.

And the labored, klunky attempts at creating catchphrases is just embarrassing. "We're not buying it."? "You're hanging by a thread."? Oh. My.

It's like a trainwreck, but since it airs what seems like every hour on the hour, I catch it when I can to watch the wreckage tumble into the gully.

July 02 2009 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I am watching but I know Tim Gunn and Isaac Mizrahi is no Tim Gunn :-) And Kelly? What is her purpose?

I find all the people I liked as people are now gone. The beotch who is Daniella is the worst (grudingly admitting - she is talented.) In a case of lesser of many evils I'm pulling for Anna for the win.

July 02 2009 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janniel

I agree,it's no Project Runway. Still, I enjoy it enough to watch. I also think that Anna and Daniella are top contenders. I wasn't sold on Anna's dress last night, it was pretty, imaginative, and fun, but wearing it would be difficult, what with all the poof around the hips.

July 02 2009 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Netra

The winner should really be Rico or Daniella I mean lets be real about it and recognize talent...though he did get a LARGE piece of humble pie last week...KNOW YOUR FASHION!!

July 02 2009 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply