July 23, 2014

Leonard Nimoy once made a music video

by Brad Trechak, posted Jul 3rd 2009 5:06PM
William Shatner and Leonard NimoyI was aware that, like fellow Star Trek icon William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy released an album or two in his day. I wasn't aware, however, that Nimoy made a music video that accompanied one of the songs on those albums.

The song is "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" and was released in 1968 (which was during his run on Star Trek) on an album called The Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy. I'm surprised this video did not get more air time on MTV back in the day. Perhaps it should be considered for VH1. More info, and the video, is after the jump.

As I recall, the rest of the cast always had to contend with Shatner's ego back then. Nimoy probably got it slightly worse since Spock was more popular than Kirk. However, having listened to some songs by both actor/singers, Nimoy can be contented with the fact that at least he's the better singer (although not by much).

RI_red

awesome.

July 04 2009 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

This song used to be on heavy rotation in my collection in amongst all the death metal & techno. People laughed.

July 04 2009 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

You may be the very last person on the internet to discover this music video. In other news, William Shatner also released an album. :)

July 04 2009 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

I remember watching this on a music show back in '67. They cancelled the Green Hornet to make room for the show.

July 03 2009 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manda

Every time I see this video it sticks in my head for days and days. Thanks for that. X( :P

July 03 2009 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bayportbob

ahh yes, love the girls with the spock ears, makes you long for the 60's again. sigh.........................

July 03 2009 at 8:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bayportbob

1968 ------ MTV 1982 ----- hmmmmmm ---- what am i missing when you say that MTV did not give it more air play??????????

July 03 2009 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I could have sworn I saw this video posted here a couple of years ago, but I can't find it in a search.

July 03 2009 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply