November 1, 2014

Lie to Me picks up steam - anyone else watching?

by Jane Boursaw, posted Jul 6th 2009 3:18PM
Jennifer Beals and Tim Roth in Lie to MeI had just gotten into watching The L Word when it got the ax, but at least now we can see more of Jennifer Beals. She guest-starred in two episodes of Lie to Me last season, and will have a recurring role in the upcoming season, playing Assistant U.S. Attorney Zoe Landau, Cal Lightman's ex-wife and mother of their teenage daughter.

Mekhi Phifer (Dr. Gregory Pratt from ER), who also appeared in two episodes, will come back as FBI agent Reynolds, brought in as a liaison between the Lightman Group and the FBI for those tough cases the FBI can't solve through traditional methods.

The show's second season kicks off Sept. 28 with Shawn Ryan as the new showrunner. He's got some great creds, having worked on The Unit, The Shield and Angel.

Lie to Me really seems to be picking up steam heading into its second season. We gotten a little hooked on it in this household, meaning it isn't "must-see" TV, but if we know it's on, we'll definitely check it out -- and pick up a few pointers on lie detection from Cal Lightman and crew.

Anyone else watching Lie to Me?

CyrWhite

I only watch two shows "religiously" every week. That would be House and Lie to Me. I wouldn't be surprised if they canceled both, because every show that I get into to, gets canceled!!

September 21 2009 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy B

Love this show! One comment- the female agent's outfits are pretty revealing and not very professional!

July 08 2009 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

It's a good show, Tim Roth is great as always, but I just can't fully get past the junk science on which the show is based.

There is so much junk science on TV, especially in the realm of forensics. We see tons of it on shows like CSI and Bones (only in recent seasons... Bones was pretty good about keeping out the junk science in its first few seasons). But what the Lightman group does brings TV junk science to a new pinnacle of insanity, and I feel irresponsible when I watch the show, even when I consciously try to ignore the junk science. If I enjoyed an episode, that implicitly means I accepted the junk science on which the episode was based, and that bothers me.

The show's logo is a big asterisk, but instead of saying the standard "the events shown here are entirely fictional" it should say "the lie detection techniques depicted in this show are not real and have an unknown, unverifiable rate of accuracy."

The show's one saving grace is that they concede on the show that the Lightman Group's results are inadmissible in court (which, like mechanical lie detectors, is certainly and rightfully the case - no lie detector results can be admitted in a court proceeding). Like all lie detectors, the primary purpose is to get a confession from someone - and confessions are admissible in court. And that's the way the show's episodes tend to play out.

But the level of junk science on TV always tends to increase. Is it only a matter of time before we have "exciting episodes" of Lie to Me where Lightman is testifying in court about how the defendant (dramatically point to him) lied because his eyes twiched and he gave a micro-grimmace while his eyes look up and to the left for half a second? Conceding that it's inadmissible in court, and keeping it out of court, holds back on a lot of potential drama... and the rules of evidence that apply in court don't apply to TV shows (unfortunately).

July 06 2009 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon thomas

Watched the entire season last weekend .. Loved it ..

July 06 2009 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I watch the show. Love Tim Roth. I hope the dive more into Lightman's past and his relationship with Dr. Foster (female lead).

July 06 2009 at 7:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

Tim Roth really makes this show.

July 06 2009 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Magical_Salamander11

I watch this show and I really enjoy everything about it. It would be cool if the series were to develop beyond the 'case-of-the-week' format, but I still look forward to every episode that comes on.

July 06 2009 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I just can't seem to suspend my disbelief with Lie to Me. Initially, I thought it would be more realistic than most procedurals, because they're not using fantastical technology (or fantastical uses of current technology), they're just using human lie detection. But the way the show is staged is just ridiculous. Human expressions aren't that revealing. There is no way that somebody could be that certain (and right) from looking at the way somebody looks.

Mental is not the best show in the world as far as acting and writing, but it has to have the most believable premise of any of these "Hero" procedurals. He doesn't cure somebody in a day (most of the time), he just finds the core cause for their mental instability, and then refers them to another psychiatric center for long term treatment.

July 06 2009 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

I've just recently discovered the show. By the title I thought it was the reality "how much will they reveal!" show. I don't watch realityTV. This show is very interesting and I enjoy it a lot. No doubtedly will DVD it come Season 2.

July 06 2009 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joy

It was a surprise to me when I found myself really enjoying this show.

Now my problem is that I can't stop staring at people for their microexpressions.

July 06 2009 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply