November 28, 2014

The Next Food Network Star: Rachael Ray - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 6th 2009 8:10AM
Bob TuschmanNo, the next Food Network star isn't going to be Rachael Ray. She already has several shows on the network. "Rachael Ray" was the title of last night's episode, as the remaining contestants had to go on her show and do a team cooking presentation.

Does someone know if this episode is going to air or will it air when new episodes of the show start up again? It would be weird for the episode to air after the winner of NFNS is crowned.

So, did they make the right choice in getting rid of Katie, or did Michael or Jamika deserve the boot? It's true that I couldn't see Katie hosting a TV show, but Jamika has fallen apart lately.

Liz

Actually wulfn1, judging by the multitude of forums where this show gets discussed, I'd wager good money that most people who watched the competition last year, including say Bobby Flay, thought Lisa Garza would be in the top 3 and deservedly so. She was a polarizing figure - you either loved her or hated her - and that's what led a lot of people to tune in. I do agree with you about Melissa this year, though; I'm rooting for her for the win.

July 26 2009 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ladylon

I agree that it was time for Katie to go. I'm sure she's a very nice young lady, but I couldn't stand to watch and listen to her for those few minutes she was on camera in each episode, let alone for an entire program. Debbie is getting on my nerves more and more each week. I liked Jeff a lot in the beginning, but it seems what we saw the first couple of weeks was all there is to him. Melissa and Jamika are my two favorites. Jamika is an easy going personality and she is very savvy about food. Melissa, in my opinion has the most to offer viewers (that's not already offered on FN). I love the fact that she is an 'everyday' Mom, cooking with 'everyday' ingredients. Someone mentioned that she is too 'frenetic'. I think that's only because in the early weeks, she has been put in a position (by Brent, Teddy and Eddie) of having to 'prove' herself in a different way than anyone else. They basically put her down for being 'just a home cook'. Their attitudes were simply pathetic, in my opinion. But I can see how that would frazzle her. If she were to win jer own show, and the competition part were out of it, I think we would all find that she has the most 'usable' tips and ideas for most of us 'home cooks'. Regardless of how this one ends, I love this show!

July 11 2009 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ty

I like Melissa, but I really couldn't watch her... she's just way too frenetic for me. I like Jeffrey's calm demeanor, and he has such a wonderful way of talking about food. I like Jamika, too. If Michael could calm down and organize himself, he could do well-- his food is consistently great.

July 10 2009 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan Shurin

It was time for Katie to go. It was getting tiresome listening to

July 07 2009 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gayla

I just don't see Debbie as the next star and would not watch her if she were to win. My whole family finds her annoying - on several levels. If she wins, you've definitely lost viewers in my house! Our top vote is for Jeffrey, but we'd definitely watch Jamika, Melissa or Michael if they come out on top.

July 06 2009 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

every year they (and other cooking shows) have their token nutritionist contestant, and every year they barely make it this far, if they even make it this far. When will these contestants ever realize that cooking shows and networks are SPONSORED by food conglomerates. They are NOT going to let you condemn their food and encourage folks to go a more local/natural way.

Nathan Lyon from the Guy F. season of Next Food Network Star came the closest, and his show is on a very high-number digital only network (and was it renewed? every episode I see is a repeat these days).

July 06 2009 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

I think Katie has needed to go for quite some time. I agree that Melissa, Jamika, and Debbie ALL deserve a show-they offer very different viewpoints and experiences. It would be nice to see a show with an emphasis on Asian cooking.

July 06 2009 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trippa

I don't understand Katie going home this week. Any other week. Fine. But she had her best week by far this week. Why keep her around this long and then boot her when she does good (or at least better than most).

July 06 2009 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

They made the right choice, but the other two are on thin ice.

Though I find Melissa to be the least irksome, I wouldn't watch a show with any of these people.

July 06 2009 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen Weaver

I guess that I'm the odd man out because I definitely wouldn't waste my time watching Melissa. Her pollyanna, gushing style leaves me tired. I think that 30 minutes of her would be very overwhelming.
I'm not sure that I'd watch Debby, either.....but I'd at least try a few shows.
Jeffrey? Yes definitely I'd watch him and also Michael.

July 06 2009 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply