April 16, 2014

Maybe ABC shouldn't have aired these last few Eli Stone episodes

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 7th 2009 5:02PM
Eli StoneAt first I was excited when ABC announced that it would burn off the remaining episodes of Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money this summer. Now, I'm not so sure. I enjoyed the run of Daisies, and was even fairly satisfied with the ending. It had just lost a bit of its charm for me, so I was okay with seeing it end. Eli Stone, however, has been turning in some of the best episodes of the entire series this summer. The more I get, the more I want.

I don't know if absence made the heart grow fonder in this case, but the show is firing on all cylinders. And the character progressions? Maggie seems to be finding happiness and love at Pohsner Klein, and a much darker side? The Dowd coming back to Wethersby Stone? Even WS almost going under; sure you knew they were going to win a case to save the firm, but I liked how they had them first lose one to PK to make the situation even more dire. And then find the winning case when Jordan was bitching about his eggs.

As a huge fan of Boston Legal, I so enjoyed Alan Shore's moral crusades in the courtroom. These past few weeks have given me that fix with Jordan, Eli and Taylor. Executive malpractice is a brilliantly clever tactic and they argued it pretty well. Eli's still having visions, but they've found a good balance to keep them from overwhelming the show, though the occasional musical number is still appreciated.

Really, it's ABC's fault. I'd made peace with Eli Stone being off the air. Just a little to different for American viewers. I can live with that; in fact that happens all the time. But now ... now we seem to have the type of show that America could embrace and it's too late. The last hurrah for Eli and the gang is the series finale this Saturday at 10pm (the slot gives way to Dirty Sexy Money run-offs starting next week). I'm going to drill a hole through my head in honor and sit in front of the clouds while I watch it.

Walter White

It is incredibly rare to find a show so well-written, so heartfelt, so well produced, and with characters I actually *care* about, it is demoralizing to have it cancelled. I really wish USA would pick up on this show - they need something now that Monk is drawing to a close, and they always claim "characters are welcome" there. Fans of good television everywhere should mourn the passing of this particular prophet, and ABC should be ashamed. I hadn't even heard of the show until the DVD set appeared on the shelf, and I purchased it for three reasons only: A fondness for Magritte, George Michael's "Listen Without Prejudice" album, and Victor Gerber. I ended up devouring the first season over four nights, and found myself craving more. I still am, another season later.

September 03 2009 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

I just watched the finale of Eli Stone:( I loved that show! It was the best show to come along in years, along with Pushing Daisies. I watched every episode of these shows. They were so creative and entertaining. And the casts were phenomenal! Seems the dumbed-down masses only want reality TV or crass sitcoms. I can't believe that crap like According to Jim ran for 7-8 seasons!
Another amazing show that was canceled was The Riches. I thought that was safe because it was on cable (FX). No such luck! I am never going to love another TV show as long as I live. I still miss Now & Again and Shannon's Deal - remember them? I wish they were on DVD.
An

July 14 2009 at 1:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alexandra G

I love Eli Stone. Seeing these episodes have been difficult because it makes me miss the show greatly. I wish abc would bring it back...please. I am so tired of all the typical shows...and like someone else commented, how does "According the Jim" stay on the air..which is NOT funny but a great show like Eli Stone get pulled? I don't get it.

July 10 2009 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Courtney

I completely agree. Sigh. I love this show.

July 09 2009 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candice

I hear you there! These episodes are amazing and I really wish the show hadn't been canceled. It'll definitely be one that I buy if/when it's released to DVD.

July 08 2009 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brainfish

Having seen the final episodes (already aired in the UK) I thought this had great potential to run for a another few seasons.

One thing that it messed up was that Jonny Lee Millar was about to take part in a race to the South Pole with Ben Fogle (rowed the Atlantic) which he had to pull out of because Eli got renewed for a 2nd season.

July 08 2009 at 7:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

So say we all.

July 08 2009 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Not only did the ending to DP seem added at the end it seemed to jump to an end the writers might not have gone.

I think the pie man should have got with olive...come on no way he can stay with a woman he can never touch...and we were seein them get closer jut before the finale 2 shows when they knew they might need a fast wrap up.

Eli was excelent this week... but i have loved all eli shows.

July 08 2009 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim L

It is really too bad that Eli Stone and Daisies are gone. It was nice to have 2 shows that were different and not the usual procedural. There are plenty procedurals on right now. I will miss them both.

July 07 2009 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Basketcase456

It was very unfortunate that Eli Stone got canceled. I agree that these last episodes have been some of the best. It is just too bad that many questions in the show will not get answered. ABC has not treated many of its shows about 20/30 somethings that are going through a change of life ordeal (see What About Brian and October Road just to name a few).

Unfortunately, Eli Stone had ratings similar to those other two series with roughly 5-7 million viewers a night, usually on that lower end. Compared to ABC's other dramas (Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, etc), 5 million viewers a night are not enough to keep a good show on the air, (but it seems like enough to keep According to Jim on the air for multiple seasons). Eli Stone will be missed, but this will free up Jonny Lee Miller to finally do a Hackers sequel.

July 07 2009 at 6:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Basketcase456's comment
RobynM

Again, this sounds like Eli Stone was, like many others, a victim of overinflated expectations by the Networks.

5-7 mil a week? That's pretty much the top end of everything that's considered a "smash hit" on cable/satellite. Burn Notice, Mad Men, Psych, The Closer, etc.

If the Networks just can't live with the numbers their programming's getting on their "prestige" channel, they've all got a wad of cable channels that could always use original content. USA, Sci Fi, A&E, ABC Family, etc.

July 08 2009 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply