September 2, 2014

Rescue Me: Wheels

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jul 8th 2009 1:04AM

John Scurti stars as Lt. Ken 'Lou' Shea in 'Rescue Me.'
(S05E14) "What, you think elder statesmen such as I don't think about things like this, huh? I do have the biggest dick in the department and have been known to use it!" - Chief Feinberg

This was one of those "I had forgotten about that!" episodes. That Feinberg quote is a perfect example. Remember when Tommy glanced his eyes at Sydney's junk a few seasons back? It was hilarious. Another thing from the past that got brought up? Colleen was a lesbian! At first it seemed like a bit of a running joke, but now I'm convinced of it -- sexually speaking, it seems like she really has tried everything. Black Shawn really needs to start embracing that ... or at least get over his peanut butter phobia.

As for the way Candy screwed Lou the first time around? That I have not forgotten about and it's precisely why I can't shake the feeling that she's somehow playing him again. Marriage? Is she serious? More importantly, is Lou serious? If they go through with this and Candy busts out some bogus reasons to get a quickie divorce, she's going to have access to a lot more than just Lou's money if she nabs a dirty divorce lawyer. The more of these two I see together, the more convinced I become that a happy ending to this relationship just wouldn't work for the overall story.

The same goes for Tommy and his love triangle. He got a taste of it not working here when he tried to actually tell Sheila that he cared about her and she wanted none of it. Tommy may like to play the field, but in his heart he ain't a multiple woman guy. Sooner or later, the itch to settle gets to him. It creeps slowly but by the time he really wants it, this whole arrangement with Janet and Sheila will be primed to blow up.

Moving on to Sean's embezzling scheme -- he was right! How didn't anyone notice? The guy is an idiot! He was watching the cash and maintaining the books and no one noticed $80k missing?!? So either they actually made so much money that $80k didn't raise any red flags or they're all as stupid as Sean is. I'm leaning towards the latter. Makes you wonder what they might have in store for him since he really can't pay any of it back.

A few more thoughts on "Wheels" --

• Was is just me or was the final arc with the cancer kids and the ladder truck way too long? It took up the last ten minutes of the episode and there was really only one joke that played through most of -- little jerk steals fire truck. It went from being a cute and touching scene to long and meaningless pretty quick.
  • I loved that Tommy's speech at AA got Evan (played by Rescue Me writer Evan Reilly) to start drinking again.
  • Damien made a good point -- what happens when Franco does find out that Carla is a lesbian? At this point, she has to be, right?

And speaking of Damien, it looks like the 62 Truck boys are gonna have plenty of fun with him once he passes his FDNY exam. I almost choked when he let the "Carla is a lesbian" comment slip in front of Franco, and I couldn't help but laugh as Lou realized that Damien would probably steal a lot of his comic one-liner thunder. Things could get messy for him when he joins the house next week. The ep is called "Initiation." Any predictions on the sorts of hazing rituals that might be in store for the Keefe kid?

Brian

That occured to me now that I think about it. Needles really enjoys having things to hold against people. He might feel it's the only way to keep people in line. It's still weird that we see Feinberg hanging out with the guys more than Needles now.

BTW, over on TWOP, people are speculating that Candy might be terminally ill and is only looking for someone to care for her. Possibly with AIDS, hence the not sleeping with Lou.

I also think Carla might be a tranny. At this point, Franco should just go back to the Chinas,Brittanys,and Heathers from season one. They just can't give the guy a break relationship wise. The best storyline for him was when he had Keela with him.

I wonder if Garrity's gonna be back to full duty once he gets out of the hospital? Since no one in the brass knows about his illness, it won't be like Jerry where it took months and months to try to get clearance. Maybe even light duty if he's not feeling up to it.

July 09 2009 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lobes

Brian & cdawg - Needles is holding Feinberg's letting Damien go in the rig to the fire (and consequently almost dying) over his head, effectively neutering Feinberg.

cdawg - It was Carla and Franco's trainer who yelled "GET OUT!", not Carla and Franco. Needles was in the training room as well.

SadiesRotten - I hadn't thought of it until now, but that pretty much makes perfect sense.

July 09 2009 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Another solid episode. If you want to watch it again, you can stream it online here:

July 08 2009 at 7:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

Well, the thing that gets complicated is the fact that in Rescue Me, it's still 2007 due to the fact that we had no season last year and they chose to pick up the story almost directly from the end of season 4 so they could deal with the aftermath of Tommy's dad's death. In past episodes they've made speciffic references to topical events. Season 3 talked about the upcoming 5th anniversary of 9/11, season 4 actually had a date of 3-27-07 on Jerry's death certificate. Tommy gets his on eyear chip in episode 6 of this season. In Season 4, at one of those Gavin meetings he mentions that he hasn't had a drink in eleven months, the last time being at that bar right before Johnny's death.So storyline wise season 4 and five are supposed to be a continous stream of events. Tommy's Brett Farve reference fit no where in here. It's weird because in every other season they do a time jump. This is the actual time that having a big one would make sense. The only problem with that is they would have had to drop lingering storylines from season 4 sense they would have been long resloved by now. Did anyone notice that it was never explained why Mike is back on this crew and not the Drunk firefighter crew? I actually think that the writer's forgot about it.

I actually really enjoyed this episode. The scene where they're in the crowd was awesome. I like Damien's character, although I think he's gonna get into some trouble. Either in a fire or make some enemies with someone on the crew. I hope Garrity gets back in shape and comes back to work. My question is that now that Feinberg knows, will he be allowed to come back to full duty? I hope that Lou knows what he's doing. Don't give her a LEGAL reason to take half your stuff. I hope it's legit.

July 08 2009 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian's comment
SadiesRotten

Ok, I've never missed an episode of Rescue Me...am I the ONLY one that thinks that Franco's new girl could REALLY be a MAN? C'mon! Male mannerisms...a firm handshake? HELLO???

I mean its pretty darned obvious she's not a lesbian....they're doing the nasty together! And you know on this show they're not just gonna let it go with a regular relationship. There is always a problem, or a nick in the armor of any of the relationships we've seen.

July 08 2009 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jabes-54

Regarding the seasons changing, did anyone else notice the Brett Favre signing with the Jets reference when Tommy said grace at the dinner a couple of weeks ago?
Favre signed with the Jets in spring of 2008 (I'm from Wisconsin - we pay attention to these things), so maybe season 5 isn't in the present yet?
That doesn't explain the seasons changing, but it might come up in other aspects of the show.

July 08 2009 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I have one bit of advice for Lou: Prenupt. But we all know he would never do that.

July 08 2009 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cdawg

I really don't think Carla is a lesbian - in the beginning of the ep she and Franco are in his dressing room before the fight and the trainer walks in and they both scream "GET OUT!" as if they were in the middle of hooking up. And then, obviously later in the episode. Well... she's obviously not a lesbian (maybe bi?) but I don't think that's an actual plot point. I'm more inclined to believe it was a way for Damian to be a jerky kid and get his comeuppance next ep.

And I totally agree about Candy. It's a LONG CON. It has to be.

July 08 2009 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Damien's character is the definition of loser. I don't know if that is how he is supposed to come across, like the kid who thinks he is to cool for school, or if it is just terrible acting. I can't stand him and I hope someone in the house humbles him immediately.

July 08 2009 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

The one thing that confuses me. Is Feniberg under Needles or vice verse? I thought that Feinberg was the new Perroli and Needles was the new Jerry? But they make it seem as if Feinberg is afraid of Needles.

Another random observation, is it just me or did it change from Summer to Winter real fast on the show all of a sudden? Maybe it's just Fall, but it seems the weather changed reaL fast.

July 08 2009 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brian's comment
cdawg

That confused me too. I thought Feinberg was top dog.

July 08 2009 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

"It took up the last ten minutes of the episode and there was really only one joke that played through most of"

A Rescue Me reviewer who thinks Rescue me is a comedy show? What is wrong here?

That whole scene, however long it was, was the best thing in tonight's episode and paved way for us to understand why Tommy cared about these kids so much. It's because they are tougher than him.

July 08 2009 at 4:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply