October 22, 2014

A second look at Reno 911!, season six

by Nick Zaino, posted Jul 9th 2009 2:04PM
Reno 911!When I first wrote about the cast changes for season six of Reno 911!, a few readers were disappointed that their favorite deputies were killed in a tragic taco stand explosion. Clementine (Wendi McLendon-Covey), Garcia (Carlos Alazraqui), and Kimball (Mary Birdsong) all died, and were replaced this season with Deputy Frank Rizzo (Joe Lo Truglio) and Sergeant Jack Declan (Ian Roberts).

Clementine and Garcia were both part of the show since the beginning, and were often the most appealing characters on the show. The racial tension between Garcia and Deputy Jones (Cedric Yarbrough) was a fun plotline, and Clementine's undercover pot bust at a head shop was one of my favorite scenes. Kimball came aboard in season three, and had her adherents, as well.

With three cast members departing going into season six, there was reason to be skeptical that Reno 911! would be up to its scattered brilliance. Reviewing the DVD of this past season, though, it doesn't seem like the quality has slipped. Five members of the cast are still in place. And Lo Truglio's Rizzo is a great addition to the cast; his affair Trudy (Kerri Kenney-Silver) was a high point of the season. Rizzo's checkered past was used to great effect on his first outing with Jones, andReno 911 Rizzo should come up again.

Roberts' Declan, as the hard-ass sergeant, has yet to really gel with the rest of the cast, but he should be given time to develop. Ian Roberts can more than hold his own with an improvisational cast, and since he doesn't really have a partner on the show, it's naturally harder for him to work his way in.

There were plenty of guest stars this season (I mentioned this in my news post before the season, as well). Rainn Wilson was outstanding as a serial killer leading Dangle (Thomas Lennon, the real anchor of the cast) and Williams (Niecy Nash) on a fruitless search for the body of one of his victims. The always funny Patton Oswalt plays a would-be killer trying to hitch a free ride to Thailand (some may remember his previous cameo as Boozehammer of Galen).

Then there's Nick Swardson -- who really should be considered a regular cast member at this point -- who delivers as Terry Bernadino, a character that should have become tiring long ago but somehow still works. His first scene with Declan is priceless.

The DVD also has a few extended scenes worth checking out, including a long take on the Tupperware marketers' meeting with the guys from Human Giant. Plus a few character profiles and a couple of commercials that could have come from Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, starring Craig Robinson ("Darryl" from The Office) hawking linoleum and becoming a deputy

I didn't catch too many episodes during the actual season, and I was pleasantly surprised watching it on DVD. Makes me wonder what may be in store for season seven.

DM

I'm a major RENO 911 fan (seasons 1-5) and really love all the comic brillance the series brought in previous seasons but I'm afraid they lost me on Season 6.
Very disappointing.

I agree that Ian Roberts can be funny as hell (loved him in the Reno Movie) but in Season 6, he was mostly boring and actually seemed pained to be there.

The Rizzo character was a total let down. I suppose he was meant to replace the Garcia character more than any other but he did not come even close to providing the hilarious comical seething anger and loveable vulnerability Carlos Alazraqui brought to his role.

Toby Huss and Nick Swardson saved any scene they were in and are always funny. Toby Huss especially.

Most the guests characters are the only ones that save Season 6. The regular cast has just lost it.

What was the deal with the Murder Mystery episodes? I thought they were just inept and completely not funny. And what was Neicy Nash thinking doing that episode. Did she really think this was funny? Really?????

Reno 911 is no longer the great series is use to be. Without our long time, beloved characters Garcia and Clemmie and even Kimball, they have loss the magic.

Lennon, Kinney and Garant, was this your call to give the other three this disrespectful boot???? If so, thanks for nothing!

July 10 2009 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

Another great semi-regular is Toby Huss, who plays crackhead Big Mike....hilarious every time! Especially when he has a lawn dart stuck in his head and doesn't know it.

July 10 2009 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhomboid

I will gladly take Declan and Rizzo over Garcia and Clementine any day. This season was great. Ian Roberts is truly gifted, although at first it was a little hard to recognize him but the distinctive voice gives it away.

July 10 2009 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

OMG, no one's mentioned the stuffed-in-her-uniform asian-chick deputy who cameos from time to time. How she doesn't get more screen time is beyond me! More, more of her plz!

July 09 2009 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GerryofNorVA's comment
Joanna

I love Cindy! Even though she only has 1 joke...she is great!

July 10 2009 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I've been hooked since the line "I was murdered" was uttered. They've still got it, but I do miss the slutty chick.

July 09 2009 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis

I really gave this season a serious try. Kimball as the closeted lesbian and cousin of Travis Junior was probably one of my favorite characters. Clementine and Garcia were also very solid. But I love the show. I own every season on DVD, and I loved the movie, so I wasn't going to give up on it. But I think I made a mistake.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree about Rizzo. Since all of the deputies are inept, and a little corrupt, having a new deputy that was blatantly corrupt and bad seemed like overkill.

And I don't even understand why DeClan is there. He doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all. Nothing he's ever done has made me laugh, and he's not even a passable straight-man like Garcia was.

The "season finale" last night was an unfunny disaster that even Trudy and Raineesha kissing couldn't save. It puttered along, then meandered into the ending credits.

It's ironic that the "Jump the Shark" gags happened last season and not this one.

Writers and producers of Reno 911!, if you're reading, go beg Alazraqui, Birdsong and Covey to come back.

July 09 2009 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Yep, this was the best season in years for Reno. For anyone knew to the series, skip the horrible movie, and stick with the real stuff. The additions to the cast more than made up for the loss of the tired characters of Garcia & Wendy. I also couldn't believe all of the miscellaneous suspects this year, they were all hilarious, and there were several new additions that really kept me going.

This show used to be tasteless just to get laughs... this season showed that they could still be original, without always having to be disgusting.

The Jerky Boys do want a cut though.

July 09 2009 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drex

I knew I wouldn't like the new season before it started, but I admit I was setting it for failure in my head before even seeing one episode.. Overall, I think I'm done with the show, I loved the dynamic the show had before the new cast members came on.. I HATE CHANGE!!

July 09 2009 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Drex's comment
aeroman76

Very disappointing, with the exception of Terry and Mike. How could you get rid of Garcia, Clemmie, and Kimball. This was the final nail in the coffin for this show. It had its occasional moments, but overall, getting rid of the three cast members ruined the show. The season finale, which I hope was actually the series finale, was the biggest bore of the season. This show usually has an exciting cliffhanger. Instead, I stuggled to sit through what used to be my favorite show. Bottom line...return the old cast members or end the series.

July 12 2009 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply