December 22, 2014

I have no idea why Jerry Seinfeld is doing commercials for an Australian building society

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 9th 2009 7:00PM
Well, this is odd. Jerry Seinfeld has filmed a commercial for Australia's Great Building Society. It shows him setting up a mic, amp, and stool/pitcher of water on the street and doing standup (the ads were actually filmed in a small New York town and not actually Australia.) He's going to do a series of media spots like this for the next couple of years. I guess he really loves Australia and/or building societies.

I think he should go on tour this way in America, just set up standup routines like this on various streets around the country without notice. Wouldn't that be great?

[via TV Tattle]

jacobracer

I was at the taping of this for 2 hours!
Check out my 3 behind the scenes videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThG9J-xLo-c

July 10 2009 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

He's doing it because, as with most comedians, no amount of money or public exposure is ever enough to make him believe people like him.

July 10 2009 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkaarma

As an Australian who also has never heard of this building society...

What is the deaaaaal?

July 10 2009 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikey Bulldogs

I was there when they were taping the commercial...it was actually in a small Long Island town (Jerry is a long island native).

July 09 2009 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
b.harris-roxas

The lack of verisimilitude with the set really bugs me. It doesn't look like an Australian street at all. The woman who delivers the single word "here" astonishingly manages to do it in an appalling accent that would fool no Australian.

July 09 2009 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

This is all the talk in Australia as well. Greater Building Society is extremely small and virtually unknown in the country. No one knows how such a small organisation managed to snag Jerry.

July 09 2009 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply