November 22, 2014

Top Chef Masters: Magic Chefs - open thread

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 9th 2009 8:03AM
eggsYou have to love a reality cooking show that makes the contestants cook an egg with one hand tied behind their backs (and has Neil Patrick Harris and magician Max Maven as special guests), but I'm beginning to get bored with Top Chef Masters.

I love cooking competition shows, but the fact that these people are professionals and don't seem to get quite as upset as other Top Chef contestants (and there doesn't seem to be as much at stake) stands out a lot and makes the show a lesser version of the franchise. I mean, I like the lighter tone and the professionalism, but the original is better.

AlmondJoy

Anyone know what's up with all the weird voiceovers/editing?

July 10 2009 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brin

This isn't the most dynamic show ever broadcast, but I find it surprisingly enjoyable. It's nice to watch a reality show once in a while where the people are more interested in showing off their talent than in donning a fake (or horrifyingly real) persona to start a career as a professional reality show participant.

July 09 2009 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I like the show. It's great to see how the format and stress of the moment get to even the best chefs. Besides, most of these chefs haven't worked on the line in ages and it's great to see them sweat a little.

July 09 2009 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia R.

I kept yelling at the TV last night... "A Chef needs to know Time Management! says Tom Colicchio!" It's nice to see some of the chefs of this caliber be under the gun, but I am a geeky foodie like that too.

July 09 2009 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I am just not like this whole Top Chef Masters. Who knew that experienced, successful chefs could be such whiny bitches who make one rookie mistake after another? I also dislike the two new judges -- very boring. Right now, the only reason I'm watching is because I can't find anything else to watch.

July 09 2009 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply