July 23, 2014

Syfy in talks to try and revive Quantum Leap as well

by Jason Hughes, posted Jul 11th 2009 11:02AM
Dean Stockwell & Scott Bakula: Quantum LeapWe already know about the in-development reboot of Alien Nation at Syfy. What I somehow missed in all the hoopla about that is that Syfy is also in talks with creator Don Bellisario about a possible relaunch of Quantum Leap. Or a sequel or, really, whatever Bellisario would be interested in. Syfy is looking for a great time travel show, and other than Doctor Who, was there ever a better executed one than Quantum Leap?

Hell, with Scott Bakula all over our television screens on Chuck and The New Adventures of Old Christine among other appearances, and Dean Stockwell already familiar to SyFy's core fan-base, why not just go ahead and do a continuation of the original series with Sam's daughter in the lead role, or something like that?

You could have Al retired and Sam still lost, or in complete control, in the timestream meaning both could make guest appearances from time to time. Man, Quantum Leap stands as one of the five or ten best television series I've ever seen, and no matter how much time passes, it never seems dated. Sliders next, please ... and do it right this time.

Kerr Avon

If they want a time travel show to revive, why not redoux VOYAGERS! It was a reallly entertaining show for the whole family that was cancelled way to soon. QUANTUM LEAP will be nothing without Scott and Dean, but VOYAGERS could have a new cast. Or better yet, have Meeno Peluce be the adult and have another kid as his sidekick.

July 15 2009 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paola

heck i love this show and i'm only 16. if they do this i would love to see more of Scott and Dean Working together and not just as guest appereances but i would understand since Scott has "men of a certain age" to keep him busy

July 14 2009 at 8:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bajazoid

Yes! If this is done right... this is just great! I am generally not a fan of TV show remakes, but they have redone "Doctor Who",BSG and "Bionic Woman" pretty well lately. I am still wondering why there is nothing concrete with QL when they went ahead and redid "V", one of the worst things that never should have been made. Please, bring back Sam! Bring back Al! Ziggy wants to work again!

July 14 2009 at 6:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sam Lowry

I hate re-makes/re-boots/re-dos (BG might be one of the rare exceptions). Hire some writers, read some books, there are so many new & old sci-fi worlds that could be brought to the small and big screen that have never been seen. Why are the TV studios so damn lazy?

July 13 2009 at 1:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Henry Jenkins

There's no series I'd rather see brought back if it was done right. I ran into this article because I still do web searches every few months - have all these years - to see if there's anything new.

And of course audiences today would care about it. You'd just have to make it relevant to today. There's plenty of bad writing that could come out of it. But you've got to remember how current and topical Quantum Leap was for a time travel show. It wasn't just within Sam's lifetime. It was within the viewers. You could write it badly but it would not be inappropriate to have Sam leap into Hurricane Katrina, the Rodney King Riots or the Clinton White House. I'm not saying he should save Michael Jackson but you could tap into issues that aren't trite and old fashioned by the standards of 2009.

July 13 2009 at 3:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Darren

I'd love to see a QL revival / sequel series. I've always thought that someone like Smallville's Erica Durance would be perfect as Sam's daughter. Cast her and write it intelligent (like the original, and Journeyman) and not goofy (like Sliders, Eureka, et al), and Syfy has a winner.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any evidence that this is actually going anywhere. Seems like it just popped up again when Syfy made news with its brand change. They've had QL in their back pocket for years now, and haven't done anything with it.

July 13 2009 at 1:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

Sliders done right- I could definitely go for that, after reading about how Fox (supposedly) screwed the series over. They'd have to get the original four actors, though- I don't think I could see anyone else as those characters.

July 12 2009 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Sam finishes his leap into a new body and is surprised to see CAl standing next to him. Shocked he asks Al is that really you? Who is this Al? I'm Cavil, are you ok brother? Pan out to a resurrection room full of them......

July 12 2009 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

How about a Farscape revival while they are at it??

July 12 2009 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert ryan

It's about time!Quantum Leap was a favorite of mine when I was an undergraduate struggling to attend school while working fulltime. It was so well written and acted it really stands up today. I only hope that the writers and producers preserve the integrity of the old show while putting their own unique stamp on the new one. Who knows, if they are successful perhaps a remake of Dark Sadows could be in the works.

July 11 2009 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply