July 23, 2014

Guess why some people are mad at Ugly Betty

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 13th 2009 8:00PM
Ugly Bettya.) The quality of the show has gone downhill

b.) The depiction of a single girl in New York City is unrealistic

c.) There are gay characters on the show

d.) The show sensationalizes drinking, casual sex, and revenge

e.) Betty has been wearing her braces too long

Here's the answer.

[via TV Tattle]

Bob Sassone

I know everyone has strong views and opinions, but this post is about Ugly Betty and her braces. Please keep the conversation about those topics and nothing else. Thanks.

July 14 2009 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Actor n LA

prn.... obviously that's what you meant. U HOMOPHOBE!

anyway moving on from the bigotry...

I had breaces for 3 years as a teen. Betty is suppose to be ugly and unattractive. Braces are not attractive. She should have to wear them every season. Unless they find something else to make ugly with like fatness, warts, herpes or something.

prn u still a bigot.

July 14 2009 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Actor n LA's comment
William McIntyre

Actually the irony of anyone calling anyone who doesn't agree with them a bigot is the most amusing thing here in this tired discussion, now back to Ugly Betty...

July 14 2009 at 3:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

I had braces for 4 years when I was a teen.

July 14 2009 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Andrew's comment
prnoct90

Sorry for replying to this comment instead of the last, I couldn't figure the comment thing out. : ) Anyways, I definitely didn't say that, but you can assume whatever you want.

July 14 2009 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Age-K

That is a dumb reason to be "mad at" a show. And my mom had train track braces for eight years when I was a teenager, so she was very much an adult. Then again, I guess things could have changed in the last ten years.

July 14 2009 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
prnoct90

Okay, let's avoid getting in a flame war about this. But some people, myself included, believe that homosexuality is wrong. Let's just agree to disagree, and not make this comment section a giant argument.

July 13 2009 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
10 replies to prnoct90's comment
KIrsch

Why would gay characters be something to get mad over?

July 13 2009 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D.

Er okay. That's dumb. In the Spanish version of Ugly Betty(Yo Soy Betty La Fea) the show went on for a year or so with Betty having her braces. She even had em as a kid!! So what the heck.

btw: The Spanish version is/was WAYYY better than the American one.

July 13 2009 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply