December 21, 2014

Teens aren't into TV, newspapers, radio, or Twitter (but they love texting)

by Bob Sassone, posted Jul 13th 2009 6:27PM
retro tvI'm always cynical about these studies that show what teens aren't into, but this study was actually done by a 15 year-old, so maybe it's a lot closer to the truth.

He's a intern at Morgan Stanley, and he says that teens today aren't really into TV (beyond watching their favorite shows for a season), they'd rather download music than listen to the radio, and they don't read newspapers at all because it's "wicked stupid." OK, they didn't say that, but they find newspapers too long. They also don't like Twitter. They'd rather update their Facebook page (makes sense - Facebook is more passive, like a web site; you have to really be involved with Twitter).

So this poll is only for the teens out there reading this.

How do you watch TV?
I love it and watch it every single day287 (46.4%)
I watch it a lot73 (11.8%)
I only watch my favorite shows and that's it213 (34.4%)
I have one show that I watch and that's all14 (2.3%)
I watch only sports and news10 (1.6%)
I never watch TV22 (3.6%)

Jonathan

As a teen, it's very annoying to see all of these blogs, at the same time, report that teens are intimidated by Twitter because it requires more time or doesn't give them complete privacy.

We don't care about Twitter because it is Facebook statuses. Sure, you can do more, but to most of us, we see it as simply Facebook statuses. We already have Facebook, so there is no point in making a Twitter.

It's really that simple. If these analysts or reporters actually talked to a few real teens instead of assuming or making data, they'd see that every teen says the same thing. It's not privacy concerns, it's not that it requires too much time, it's that it doesn't justify it's existence.

July 14 2009 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

I forgot to say that I can't bring myself to text. I don't know what's so great about it. I figure if you want to contact me from your cell phone, just make the call instead of butchering every conceivable word in the English language.

July 14 2009 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Aml's comment
deebopalula

LOL! (Oops - That probably counts as "butchering" ;-)

July 14 2009 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

I also just graduated high school and I am stuck in the house all day now that it is summer. I find that as much as I love TV (it's going to be my major) I only watch maybe three hours a day, which consists of DVR'd episodes of Letterman, Jimmy Fallon, and Conan. Most of the time I read books or am online watching old episodes of Letterman. As you can tell I am a fan of the late night talk shows and even though I wasn't born in the 80s Letterman was so much better then (although Bob you'll be happy to know that I don't really miss Leno).

July 14 2009 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Teens as a whole may be watching less TV, but that's not true for every one of us. I'm 18, just graduated high school, and I love television. There are several shows I've been following for years (none of which are "teen" shows), and I own over 25 box sets, did an essay on the effects of the WGA strike, and wrote a TV column for my school newspaper. I also listen to the radio a lot, love my Twitter, and only text to update said Twitter, or when someone texts me first. So I think it really varies from individual to individual and we shouldn't make broad generalizations.

July 14 2009 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

It's not just teens. I'm watching less and less TV these days. I can't think of a single night where I'm watching more than one show on the same channel.

I think ever since the writers strike from a few years ago, TV has become less interesting. Seasons are shorter. Some shows dominate an entire week, which if you're not interested, leaves you out. There's less scripted shows on TV. Less comedies. Plus, now we have TIVO so we can record and watch whenever-- like queue up shows for a certain day. I can easily go an entire week and not watch TV. There's Netflix, so you can watch movies or entire TV seasons from there. There's the internet. There's online games. There's other activities.

TV seems as if it's becoming less relevant as time goes on.

July 13 2009 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Corey D

I watch TV alot, but only through my computer ironically. Timeshifting is the way to go for me.

July 13 2009 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Oh I also don't text. Hah.

July 13 2009 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

Reading the summary of the study, it's pretty true. Nothing unusual nor nothing I've never read before. *Like duh!* Anyway, but to say that we're not really into TV is a very broad assumption. I'm a teenager and I watch TV everyday (mostly out of boredom but I do have to stop the world when one of my many favorite TV shows are on). In fact, the only reason why I will have to watch something online is since my parents (yeah, I really am a teenager) refuse to upgrade our Dish plan, since my DVR is really unreliable, forcing me to watch stuff online (epescially on Mondays. Talk about too many shows on one night), OR I don't have money to get shows that are no longer on the air on DVD. If I did have the power to have a wonderful DVR and had all the channels in the world, I would watch stuff on TV since it's preferred.

July 13 2009 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply